“....and I’m all out of bubblegum.”:)

• Thread starter WendyDarling
  • Start date
In summary, the phrase "and I'm all out of bubblegum" is a popular quote from the 1988 sci-fi movie "They Live." It is often used to express a feeling of being prepared and ready for a situation, but then realizing that one is lacking or has run out of the necessary resources. The quote has become a cultural reference and is often used in a humorous or ironic context.
WendyDarling
How did you find PF?
Accidentally on purpose
Hi. WendyDarling, the newbie. Happy to be here. Usually I hang in philosophy forums, but I’m excited to discuss existence in a more empirical way. I’ll be setting up residence in the Cosmology section. Everyone’s invited to participate. Tally ho!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Just be aware that we do not discuss philosophy. But we can discuss the science of bubblegum! :cool:

Likes Vanadium 50 and Hamiltonian
fresh_42 said:
But we can discuss the science of bubblegum!
..., and RRP's movies.

Any other recommendations where philosophy(the ugly step child) can hob-knob with science? I am already at sciforums.com

Just looking for an intelligent, active community to discuss my proposition which I can empirically prove.

WendyDarling said:
ust looking for an intelligent, active community to discuss my proposition which I can empirically prove.
You probably should take a look at the PF Rules.

Vanadium 50 said:
You probably should take a look at the PF Rules.
You can't get more empirical than that!

Attempts at discussing Philosophy usually backfire on this forum (physicsforums). Scientific and engineering discussions into Mind Set might proceed better.

I believe science and philosophy must intersect for any headway in science to occur. Otherwise, it's mountains of theories at best each with a few practical applications, at worst no applications, mostly fanciful algorithms and memetic catch words all based on non-empirical shenanigans.

Thanks for the suggestions. My objective is to convince science nerds as well as philosophical gurus that I have glimpsed behind "the curtain." ILOVEPHILOSOPHY.com as WendyDarling. Discussion welcome. Taker easy.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
This welcome thread can be closed now.

WendyDarling said:
I believe science and philosophy must intersect for any headway in science to occur. Otherwise, it's mountains of theories at best each with a few practical applications, at worst no applications, mostly fanciful algorithms and memetic catch words all based on non-empirical shenanigans.

Thanks for the suggestions. My objective is to convince science nerds as well as philosophical gurus that I have glimpsed behind "the curtain." ILOVEPHILOSOPHY.com as WendyDarling. Discussion welcome. Taker easy.
Philosophy discussed on the internet rarely deserves the label science. STEM fields and philosophy require a different pattern of thoughts. This became nowhere more obvious than in the exchange of letters between Popper and Einstein about the book of the former.

Such discussions evolve at best in the direction of Wittgenstein, but rarely reach this level. They are usually simply an endless gibberish without meaning and sense.

Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman

Related to “....and I’m all out of bubblegum.”:)

1. What does the phrase "and I'm all out of bubblegum" mean?

The phrase "and I'm all out of bubblegum" is a quote from the 1988 movie "They Live" and is often used as a reference to running out of options or resources in a given situation.

2. Why is the phrase associated with the movie "They Live"?

The phrase is associated with the movie "They Live" because it is spoken by the main character, played by Roddy Piper, during a fight scene where he runs out of ammunition and resorts to using his fists. It has since become a popular catchphrase from the movie.

3. Is there a deeper meaning behind the phrase?

Some people interpret the phrase as a commentary on consumerism and the idea of being consumed or controlled by material possessions. Others see it as a humorous and memorable line from the movie.

4. Who came up with the phrase?

The phrase "and I'm all out of bubblegum" was written by the director of "They Live," John Carpenter. It was improvised by Roddy Piper during filming and was not originally in the script.

5. Has the phrase been used in other media or popular culture?

Yes, the phrase has been referenced and parodied in various TV shows, movies, and video games. It has also been used in memes and as a slogan for merchandise. It has become a part of pop culture and is often used in a humorous or nostalgic context.