Yet another hobby sci-fi writer

• Thread starter Strato Incendus
  • Start date
In summary, a hobby sci-fi writer is someone who enjoys writing science fiction stories as a pastime. They may not be a professional writer, but they have a passion for creating imaginative and futuristic worlds and characters. These writers often use their hobby as a way to escape reality and explore their creativity. While they may not have the same level of recognition as established sci-fi authors, their love for the genre and dedication to their craft makes them an important part of the sci-fi community.
Strato Incendus
How did you find PF?
Google Search
Hi everyone,

Having seen that a good deal of hobby authors already seem to be members of this forum, I thought I might join, too.

Last year in autumn, I finally started working on a story about a generation ship, which had only been a vague idea thus far. (Before that, I was mainly writing fan fiction in the high fantasy domain, so this is somewhat of a shift of genre for me.)
I have always found the premise of generation ships somewhat fascinating, somewhat terrifying - namely how far the commanders of the ship might have to go if the crew is no longer willing to go along with what the mission would require from them. After all, the crew members are born on the ship, rather than boarding it voluntarily.

I have already found two threads on generation ships here: One about the morality, the other one more about the question of who would like to take part in such a mission if it became reality. In one of these threads, I have also found the study by Marin et al. (2019) calculating some example measurements such a ship could have.

Questions like that are indeed the main reason for me joining this forum. Most of the writing-related questions I can discuss in dedicated writer forums, but even if those in turn have dedicated sci-fi sections, the people there are less likely to be experts to such an extend that they can scrutinise my world building - like the size of the ship relative to the crew, the speed at which it is moving, resources required, and so on.

I am currently doing my PhD in cognitive and experimental psychology - and thus, the story set on the generation ship is indeed also focused on the psychological dynamics between the crew members, including the evolutionary mechanisms at work in the background, and possible philosophical implications that might follow from that. The tone of the story should end up somewhere in between Star Trek and The 100 - and the music I have written for it hopefully reflects that, too.
(I started playing guitar and drums back in 2008, got more serious about vocals around 2011, which then became my "main instrument" in 2015; by now I record all my music as a "one-man band".)
2015 was also the year I got back into writing, but, as I said before, mainly just fantasy at first.
The story about the generation ship developed in parallel.

Even though the setting itself is not the focus of the story, I still want the setting to be believable, too. So I signed up here, knowing that this is not my area of expertise.

I have already found out that there is a dedicated sci-fi writer subforum here. Since my questions are mainly about the design of the generation ship itself, I am not quite sure yet whether to put them in the writing subforum, or into more general discussion?
So far, I would assume the writer subforum might be better suited, since of course I already have certain parts of the ship established in my mind. Therefore, I am aware that I am probably subject to some confirmation bias, should we talk about crew size, ship dimensions etc. as if we were designing the vessel from scratch.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Strato Incendus said:
How did you find PF?: Google Search

I am currently doing my PhD in cognitive and experimental psychology - and thus, the story set on the generation ship is indeed also focused on the psychological dynamics between the crew members, including the evolutionary mechanisms at work in the background, and possible philosophical implications that might follow from that. The tone of the story should end up somewhere in between Star Trek and The 100 - and the music I have written for it hopefully reflects that, too.
Welcome to PF. It's good to have you here. :smile:

These Introduction threads need to be brief without too many questions, but I'm curious if your thoughts for generation ships include rotation for artificial gravity. So far from the science I've seen, artificial gravity could be very important for the health of humans in space.

Hi, thanks for the welcome! :)

Yes, artificial gravity via rotation is probably the very first thing I started with when designing the ship - and it has already become part of the culture on board. For example, people do not say “up” and “down“, but “pipeward“ and “ringward“.

In this case, around this central “pipe“, there are five rings (one for farming, one for the “factory“, then the habitat ring, the lab ring, and the public ring for leisure / gatherings / exercise etc.). Of course, a rotating cylinder might also be possible. But with the five rings, I save the mass in between the rings.

Also, I want the ship to be able to dismantle upon arrival, so that the crew can take as much as possible from the ship to the surface of the planet. This seems easier with five separate rings detaching from the central axis, and then breaking the rings down into smaller, shuttle-like subsections that can land in different places.

I will describe the details in a dedicated thread in the writing subforum.

Likes berkeman