Your physical shape and condition

In summary, Evo is a worrier who is always concerned about her safety. She exercises and maintains her weight and fitness by doing a variety of different exercises and by resting when needed.
runner
Are you satisfied with your current weight and level of fitness? If so, what do you do to maintain it? If not, why do you think you have fallen from it (assuming you were once there)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I work to say fit, yes. I take it you're a runner, runner? It's probably my favorite way to get a good workout, but now that I'm in my 40s, I can tell it takes a toll on my joints. In fact I'm nursing an iliotibial band strain right now :cry:.

Nearly every morning I either work arms or core. My dad is 81 and works out three times a week - he's in fantastic shape. His body looks very much like Jack LaLanne's. I suspect I'll work to stay fit all my (hopefully long) life.

I sprained my ankle walking from my bed to the bathroom this morning.

Work out 7 days a week most weeks. Swim - bike (MTB) - run - weights - motocross (when I can). Low-fat diet for the most part, and yes, I'm happy with my fitness and weight. Racing a Splash n' Dash this Thursday evening at Steven's Creek Reservoir... :biggrin:

Yes. I am in the best cardio shape of my life at 29. I play soccer, practice karate, and hit the heavy bag.

evo said:
i sprained my ankle walking from my bed to the bathroom this morning.

evo, are you okayy? Have you put ice on your ankle?

Evo said:
I sprained my ankle walking from my bed to the bathroom this morning.

I don't do anything other than walking a lot. Other than BMI of 18, my glucose, bp, cholesterol, hdl are perfect! But doctor said BMI is good too as far it does not go down more.

Last edited:
arildno said:
evo, are you okayy? Have you put ice on your ankle?

(she's accident prone, not hard of hearing...)

berkeman said:

I'm a WORRIER!
I need to use big letters to express my concern!

I'm a big believer in health and fitness and advocate everyone dedicating one room in their home as a fitness room with just fitness stuff and nothing else to clutter it. That's what I have: stepper, climber, row machine, lat machine, bench press, dumbells, barbells, few other things, nice rug to do floor exercises and of course a sound system to jam to. But that's absolutely NOT necessary: you can do a perfectly fine exercise routine in a completely empty room (rug would help though).

Oh yeah, guess I'm in pretty good shape.

berkeman said:
:smile:
lisab said:
Nearly every morning I either work arms or core.
You do that in the morning? May I ask what your routine is? I have a subscription with a fitnessclub around the corner, but I haven't been there in months (too busy in the weekends). During the weekdays I used to go to Essentrics workouts, but they now require a subscription and I'm not taking on subscriptions to two different fitness clubs There will be workouts in the parks starting next weekend, so I'm planning to at least go there.

Monique said:
:smile: You do that in the morning? May I ask what your routine is? I have a subscription with a fitnessclub around the corner, but I haven't been there in months (too busy in the weekends). During the weekdays I used to go to Essentrics workouts, but they now require a subscription and I'm not taking on subscriptions to two different fitness clubs There will be workouts in the parks starting next weekend, so I'm planning to at least go there.

When I was young I was a big believer in a certain number of reps, a short rest, repeat...pretty much the normal routine. But now I just go my how it feels.

An example of core exercises: I use a big rubber ball to balance on and do straight sit-ups until I'm fatigued. Then I rest and stretch. Then I'll do side-to-side situps, also to fatigue. Rest and stretch, and then back to straight ones. I do this until it only takes about 5 before I'm fatigued. I don't count or time them, I just go with how it feels.

It's basically the same with weights, but sometimes I use light ones, sometimes heavier ones (depends on how much time I have; it can take a long time to reach fatigue with 3 pound weights!).

Are the park workouts in a group?

lisab said:
When I was young I was a big believer in a certain number of reps, a short rest, repeat...pretty much the normal routine. But now I just go my how it feels.

An example of core exercises: I use a big rubber ball to balance on and do straight sit-ups until I'm fatigued. Then I rest and stretch. Then I'll do side-to-side situps, also to fatigue. Rest and stretch, and then back to straight ones. I do this until it only takes about 5 before I'm fatigued. I don't count or time them, I just go with how it feels.
Maybe I should try morning work-outs, maybe they help me get out of bed easier :smile: (usually I wake up and 20 minutes later I sit in the train, not the most fun routine).

Are the park workouts in a group?
Yes they are, there should be music as well. I just hope the weather stays good, it should be fun!

No. Its because I spent two months eating chinese food with absolutely no exercise and spent almost 2 weeks being very ill after that.

Normally I do weights and bike riding just about every day.

Monique said:
Maybe I should try morning work-outs, maybe they help me get out of bed easier :smile: (usually I wake up and 20 minutes later I sit in the train, not the most fun routine).

Or you can just walk to work o:)

I don't understand people who use cars for places where they can walk to but do long work outs to stay fit.

rootX said:

I don't understand people who use cars for places where they can walk to but do long work outs to stay fit.

I like to ride my bike to school but during the summer I get drenched in sweat by the time I get there if I walked. I don't have access to the school rec center either so changing cloths isn't really an option. If you wear a suit or something to work you don't really want to physically excerpt yourself getting.

rootX said:

Oh yes, that would take me at least 14 hours, that would be a good workout! In all seriousness, I would Love to walk/bike to work (that's what I did in Detroit, of all places), but I'm not going to limit where I work based on that criterion :smile:

Topher925 said:
I like to ride my bike to school but during the summer I get drenched in sweat by the time I get there if I walked. I don't have access to the school rec center either so changing cloths isn't really an option. If you wear a suit or something to work you don't really want to physically excerpt yourself getting.

I have seen many people at my work who use car for 10 minute walking distances in all kind of seasons, don't use free gym at work, but rather spend like 100$/month at a gym nearby.

lisab said:
I work to say fit, yes. I take it you're a runner, runner? It's probably my favorite way to get a good workout, but now that I'm in my 40s, I can tell it takes a toll on my joints. In fact I'm nursing an iliotibial band strain right now :cry:.

Nearly every morning I either work arms or core. My dad is 81 and works out three times a week - he's in fantastic shape. His body looks very much like Jack LaLanne's. I suspect I'll work to stay fit all my (hopefully long) life.

I was a runner, and then I decided to do other forms of cardio to save my knees, etc., also. I work out in a gym where I spend 1/3 of my time doing mat work, 1/3 on the treadmill and the rest in the pool.

Sorry to hear about your IBS problem. I used to get that occasionally when I would run on the edge of a road that slopped off... ughh! I just got back from the gym where I spent the last 2 hours. I try to get there about 4 times a week.

I just got back from a good run. On average I pull about 20-30 miles a week. In addition to weight lifting 3 times a week, I'll squeeze in mountain biking once in a while, although there are no mountains in my area.

I'm definitely not satisfied with my physical condition. I'm not obese or anything, but that BMI of 26 or 27 could stand to go down. I've been running two miles a day three times a week. Another grad student in my department runs more like 6 miles at a time; this is what I'm shooting for.

I am becoming fairly overweight. I am wondering how much of this is due to not doing much of anything and how much is from depression (I have read that depression effects weight gain/loss).

Pretty much all I do is work and sit at home on my days off (I am trying to save money). Work perhaps keeps me in somewhat decent condition as I am on my feet walking most of the time. It is not at all strenuous though except that I spend several hours doing it. And its not fun or productive at all really.

That is my major issue with exercise for the sake of exercise; I'm not doing anything. When I had knee surgery and needed to go to physical therapy I hated it (trying to read a book on a stationary bike is rather annoying). Riding a real bike was nice back when I had one. The best and most fun exercise ever was when I spared with friends using shinai. I would be dripping sweat and my knuckles would be swelling from all the raps they had taken and I would still be trying to get someone to spare some more. But lifting weights, push-ups, sit-ups, ect all just bore me and I hate doing it. Even if I am just doing work, or getting something done, it is far preferable to me than going to a gym or what have you.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned is the dietary aspect, the food and drink we take in. That's another part in the equation towards good health, but sometimes we think we can just run our way (or exercise our way) into good health.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I am becoming fairly overweight. I am wondering how much of this is due to not doing much of anything and how much is from depression (I have read that depression effects weight gain/loss).

Pretty much all I do is work and sit at home on my days off (I am trying to save money). Work perhaps keeps me in somewhat decent condition as I am on my feet walking most of the time. It is not at all strenuous though except that I spend several hours doing it. And its not fun or productive at all really.

That is my major issue with exercise for the sake of exercise; I'm not doing anything. When I had knee surgery and needed to go to physical therapy I hated it (trying to read a book on a stationary bike is rather annoying). Riding a real bike was nice back when I had one. The best and most fun exercise ever was when I spared with friends using shinai. I would be dripping sweat and my knuckles would be swelling from all the raps they had taken and I would still be trying to get someone to spare some more. But lifting weights, push-ups, sit-ups, ect all just bore me and I hate doing it. Even if I am just doing work, or getting something done, it is far preferable to me than going to a gym or what have you.

Sometimes a good walk out in nature provides not just health benefits but also mental benefits.

Walk four miles a day to and from work, five days a week. Been doing that last three months now. Lost about 5+/-5 lbs. Don't eat a lot during the week, but (tend to) pig out at home during the weekends :"). Okay shape, need a month to start looking like a mathematician again.

Can't stand workouts anymore. Used to go jogging 5 miles a day in early grad school, but later on that felt like a major waste of time, so became a lab-pumpkin after that. How can you just wake up and start aping down a road when you could be working on cool problems and deriving your personal edition of some theory or writing your personal textbook?! So many cool problems+solutions out there, and I want to see them all before I kick.

I used to be stuck in this viscous cycle of laziness - work, school, and then being lifeless for the rest of the afternoon - laying on the couch and staring at the fan. I used to suffer extreme periods of work related stress, and of course, depression for many years.

My whole surroundings was like that, friends and family. I had no disciplined role model to follow. Even my father used to say and I quote "don't worry if you don't do it today, do it two days later."

Most of my life was very passive, just like being a drift wood on a river, not knowing where the current will take you next.

What has pulled me out of this mess is exercise, and good nutrition. Not in one day of course, but by compounding its effects over a few years span, I've been transformed into a new and better self. Depression is gone, and stress levels are very low. Productivity is efficient.

An important skill to develop is discipline, to be able to follow a long term plan despite of temptations, and set backs. And that is the key, IMO.

That's why I don't hate another run, or another set of push ups, or following a 6 healthy meals a day plan. It's something I do, no questions asked. But I do get satisfaction that every small step taken adds to self improvement.

i think my cardio fitness leaves a lot to be desired. blood pressure is a bit high. i don't think fat is higher percentage-wise than low 20's, but it would be nice to get it back down into the 15~18% range. strength and muscularity are doing pretty good, tho. came within about 30 lbs of my personal best on deadlift today and i don't seem to have plateaued yet, so maybe by october or so i can get back up to old strength levels or higher, but at a lower body weight.

lisab said:

foam roller

arunma said:
I'm definitely not satisfied with my physical condition. I'm not obese or anything, but that BMI of 26 or 27 could stand to go down. I've been running two miles a day three times a week. Another grad student in my department runs more like 6 miles at a time; this is what I'm shooting for.

don't go by BMI. BMI is only useful for population studies because of the correlation. better to use something more objective like a body fat % estimation using a tape measure, skinfold calipers, or get fancy and do a more direct measurement like hydrostatic or DEXA.

I work out 6 times a weak, 40 minutes of weight lifting and 30-20 minutes of cardio is the average day. My objective is to be well rounded with a six pack abs. At the moment i am kinda well rounded and the six pack i still on the box. I do this for health and improving my humor. I also thinking in just doing like 30-50 minutes of weight lifting in my home and practice basketball or atletism in the university for the cardio time, is kinda boring doing cardio.

Proton Soup said:
i think my cardio fitness leaves a lot to be desired. blood pressure is a bit high. i don't think fat is higher percentage-wise than low 20's, but it would be nice to get it back down into the 15~18% range. strength and muscularity are doing pretty good, tho. came within about 30 lbs of my personal best on deadlift today and i don't seem to have plateaued yet, so maybe by october or so i can get back up to old strength levels or higher, but at a lower body weight.

foam roller

What exactly do I do with a foam roller :confused:?

lisab said:
What exactly do I do with a foam roller :confused:?

Eat it?
Low in calories, high in fibre and fewer chemicals than a happy meal.

lisab said:

My friend, a marathon runner, first told me about doing side leg lifts (see top of page 3 in link below) to help strengthen/condition the ITB. He got to where he would use some light ankle weights while doing his leg lifts. I did the exercise for awhile and found it helpful. This link shows a whole series of exercises that are supposed to be helpful. Good luck with your recovery.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099&PageNum=3

rootX said:

Well, I can think of several reasons why one might want to decouple one's fitness exercising from other necessary activities such as getting to work on time.

Fitness is something that could be increased or postponed if there was a need. Coupling it to getting to work can leave you short of options.

Who wants to get into work all sweaty?

Say you cycle to work to stay fit. Then one day it rains. Now you are scrood getting home from work.

Walking, cycling often only works in summer. Winter rolls around, your rotuhien goes out the window

etc. etc.

OTOH, I spent a few bucks on my local gym and I go there in the evening. My work day doesn't impede my exercise, and my exercise doesn't impede my work day.

runner said:
My friend, a marathon runner, first told me about doing side leg lifts (see top of page 3 in link below) to help strengthen/condition the ITB. He got to where he would use some light ankle weights while doing his leg lifts. I did the exercise for awhile and found it helpful. This link shows a whole series of exercises that are supposed to be helpful. Good luck with your recovery.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099&PageNum=3

Thanks runner, that's a great link :smile:.