Is my whiteboard actually porcelain/ceramic steel?

• Thread starter zernikepolynomial
  • Start date
zernikepolynomial
I got this 4x8 ft whiteboard for $150, and it is supposed to be porcelain. The guy I bought it from didn't really know much about it, but he thought it was porcelain because it was very heavy. The guy told me that his wife got it from a used sale for some government building that was being cleared out. The board was old, but it looked in ok shape, so I bought it. Upon closer inspection, there are a few imperfections. There is a tiny scratch or nick near one of the edges, and there is a couple tiny donut shaped imperfections in the surface, with a possible pin hole in the center of them. These imperfect are so small you wont notice them unless you really look for them, such as at a steep reflective angle.

Now, I am not a expert on ceramic enameled steel, but one thing I do know is they are supposed to be difficult to damage and resistant to scratching. I wonder if the donut shaped imperfections were a flaw in the enameling process? Like a trapped air bubble escaping, leaving the tiny ring shapes during the enameling process?

I tried picking at the tiny nick to see if it was stable or not, and I cant make it any worse, so the coating seems super tough. It must have been a pretty strong impact.

Furthermore, I tested the board using a knife to try and scratch the surface (near the edge), but I could not seem to produce a visible or palpable scratch. As far as I know, painted steel boards can be scratched by a metal knife and leave visible damage, while ceramic will generally not unless repeatedly attacked by an abrasive.

Do you think I scored big? This board would probably retail >$500. It looks closest to a best-rite porcelain whiteboard, which is really expensive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You might test it with a magnet, to determine if it has a steel backing.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

You might test it with a magnet, to determine if it has a steel backing.

I forgot to mention that was the first thing he presented. More importantly, I actually tested both sides, and it is made using the same foil backed MDF wood with a steel top. But is it ceramic or paint? Is paint really that easy to scratch with a metal knife?

If you can scrape some white coating off with the edge of a razor blade, then it is probably an organic paint or a powder coating of polymer, not a ceramic. Does the material you scrape off burn?

If you can find the manufacturer's name, brand, advertisement, or patent number, then you can search the web with that information.

1. What is porcelain/ceramic steel?

Porcelain/ceramic steel is a type of whiteboard surface material that is made by fusing a layer of porcelain or ceramic onto a steel backing. This creates a durable and smooth surface that is suitable for writing and erasing with dry-erase markers.

2. How can I tell if my whiteboard is made of porcelain/ceramic steel?

The best way to determine if your whiteboard is made of porcelain/ceramic steel is to check the manufacturer's label or specifications. You can also try performing a magnet test - if a magnet sticks to the surface, it is most likely made of steel and not porcelain/ceramic steel.

3. What are the benefits of using a porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboard?

Porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboards have several advantages over other types of whiteboards. They are highly durable and resistant to scratches, stains, and ghosting. They also have a smooth writing surface that is easy to clean and maintain.

4. Can I use any type of marker on a porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboard?

No, it is important to use only dry-erase markers on a porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboard. Permanent markers and other types of markers may damage the surface and be difficult to remove.

5. How do I clean and maintain a porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboard?

To clean a porcelain/ceramic steel whiteboard, use a soft cloth or whiteboard eraser with mild soap and water. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or materials that may scratch the surface. It is also recommended to regularly clean and condition the surface with a whiteboard cleaner to maintain its longevity.