Wish Me Luck: My Trial, Guns & Fines

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary: I'll be back to normal soon enough.In summary, Danger is awaiting trial for possession of a loaded restricted weapon. He lost his handguns, and is prohibited from owning firearms for a year.
Danger
Gold Member
I only have a couple of minutes to post, then off to my trial. My lawyer thinks that he might be able to just hash things out on the courtroom steps. If things go well, the only issues will be 'how big is the fine' and 'when do I get my guns back'. I'll log back in from work when it's over (if I'm not in jail).

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck.
And, er, what trial? :confused:

Do not worry Danger, if you get sent down we have a plan to bust you out,
It may take a while to put into practise though, so what mags do you like
reading ?

Geeze Danger, nothing like leaving total confusion in your wake. Trial? Guns?

Of course the question on everyone's lips is "how many sheep were involved??"

Hope we hear from you soon!

Danger said:
I only have a couple of minutes to post, then off to my trial. My lawyer thinks that he might be able to just hash things out on the courtroom steps. If things go well, the only issues will be 'how big is the fine' and 'when do I get my guns back'. I'll log back in from work when it's over (if I'm not in jail).
Awh I always thought there must be something wrong in your life since you're not here as much as before, but I tried to think positively!

Wish you success! :smile:

By the way, Would you have access to the internet in jail? :rolleyes:

Good luck Danger...would have been nice if you gave us more warning. How am I supposed to get a file baked into a cake on such short notice?

Good luck, Danger! You didn't do anything very illegal, right? Hm, since you didn't tell us, it must have been pretty bad - or you want us to guess!? Okay, we know it was the revolver... I think it was in the billiard room with Mrs. Peacock.

Perhaps he's kept or made guns illegally!

Good luck Danger.

tribdog, and now Danger. Thankfully I am not a pf funny guy :smile:

mattmns said:
tribdog, and now Danger. Thankfully I am not a pf funny guy :smile:
I told you they were twins separated at birth by a few years.

Thanks, guys. All's well (relatively).
This stuff was actually mentioned a few times in various threads, but some of you probably didn't see it and others might have figured that I was joking. I've routinely carried a gun for the past 30 years, and the cops (and even my judge) knew about it for the 27 since I moved here. It was overlooked because they knew whose side I'm on. (I've done a bit of work for the RCMP, the Sheriff and CSIS, some of which put me in potentially life-threatening situations.) Someone took objection to it and made a complaint, so they had no choice but to act upon it. The upshot is that I have to pay a $500 fine (500 Canuk, so lunch money to the Yanks :redface: ). I've permanently lost my beloved handguns, consisting of a Llama 'Especial' .22 auto, an FN 27 .32 auto, a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag, and a Llama IX .45 auto (my carry gun). In addition, I'm prohibited from owning firearms for a year, so I have to give my 2 Enfield .303's to my nephew until then. I won't even be able to replace the .22 and .32 after that because both are now classified as 'prohibited' firearms rather than 'restricted'. I had them under a grandfather clause, but it isn't retroactive. :frown: :cry:
It could have been much worse. The crown dropped 4 of the 5 charges (2 were unprosecutable anyhow) in return for me pleading guilty to 'possession of a loaded restricted weapon in a place other than that specified in the permit'.
They also pursued it as an 'offense punishable on summary conviction' (similar to a 'misdemeanor' in the States) as opposed to an 'indictable offense' which would have required a minimum of one year in jail. Rather nice of them, I think.

wolram said:
so what mags do you like
reading ?
Just SciAm, Discover, and anything about movie FX such as Starlog or Cinefantastique. At least I wouldn't have to worry about my cell-mate dribbling on them. :eek:

Evo said:
Of course the question on everyone's lips is "how many sheep were involved??"
:smile:
None... just a waitress with the brains of one.

Lisa! said:
Awh I always thought there must be something wrong in your life since you're not here as much as before, but I tried to think positively!
Thanks, but there's nothing wrong. As I mentioned in PM's to you and a couple of others, I've involuntarily collected a girlfriend who keeps me away from home except for one or two nights a week. Also, I'm now working 50 hours a week instead of my previous 30. If my boss hadn't set up this guest account for me on her office computer, I'd never get onto the net at all.

Moonbear said:
How am I supposed to get a file baked into a cake on such short notice?
I'd have credited you with more deviousness than that. Just get a bunch of round files, paint red and white stripes on them, glue wicks on top, and stick them in the icing.

Again, thanks for the kind wishes. Now off to the basement to build something nasty to replace the .45. :biggrin:
(Just kidding; I'm still at work.)

Last edited:
I've been expecting this since my first conversation with danger.

yomamma said:
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is cooler
danger said:
yet 'fart' is more commonly used in the english language...
yomamma said:
well pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis should be
danger said:
at least nobody has to say 'who pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosised in here?' :-p

after that, he just got weirder :confused: (although I am surpeised no sheep were involved..)

Well I spent hours downloading excape plans in PFD files, I was going to embed them into soap-on-a-rope for you. :rolleyes: I'm glad its over for you, and that in not too long of time, your life will return to normal.

Here in Arizona they are trying to pass a law so that firearms would be allowed in restaurants, except you can't drink any alcohol(of course).

Anyway, it's sad that you lost all of your firearms :(

moose said:
Here in Arizona they are trying to pass a law so that firearms would be allowed in restaurants, except you can't drink any alcohol(of course).

This reminds me of:
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/ed_helms/index.jhtml?start=33

Watch "A Round of Shots." :biggrin:

moose said:

I thought we could carry firearms as long as registered and not concealed? I take it this only pertains to establishments serving alcohol. I'm with Danger on this one (and they call us pacifist liberals, huh buddy?).

Well, I'm glad you're at least safe and sound. :smile:
I've only held an unloaded gun once - a .357 Magnum. What do the numbers mean? Why do you have guns? For protection? Do you hunt?

SOS2008 said:
I thought we could carry firearms as long as registered and not concealed? I take it this only pertains to establishments serving alcohol. I'm with Danger on this one (and they call us pacifist liberals, huh buddy?).

Only restaurants which serve alcohol. I doubt that it is allowed anywhere in the US...

You would be able to walk into a burger king or deny's, just not black angus or applebees...

honestrosewater said:
Well, I'm glad you're at least safe and sound. :smile:
I've only held an unloaded gun once - a .357 Magnum. What do the numbers mean? Why do you have guns? For protection? Do you hunt?

It is short for magazine number, some gun smith came up with a formula for
the maximum fire rate of any weapon, .357 is gallons per minute, from this
you can calculate the magazine capacity to fire rate per minute.

honestrosewater said:
The ".357 " refers to the bore diameter in inches, which is about 9 mm (a common diameter). One might have heard of the term caliber, which is expressed in hundredths or thousandths of an inch, i.e. 38 caliber (0.38 inch). The 0.357 would be referred to as a "three fifty-seven" or 357 caliber or 357 thousandths of an inch.

Others are "0.22 (0.223)", 0.38 (as in 38 special), and 0.45 (45 caliber). A common NATO caliber is - 0.30 (7.62 mm). For heavy guns 0.50 caliber (12.7 mm) is common.

One does not hunt with a pistol or handgun. One would use a shotgun or rifle, and rifle calibers vary, but 0.375 is popular, and the biggers would be about 0.458, but one can buy 0.5 guns with large shells.

The power behind the buller depends on the cartidge size and loading (amount and type of propellant).

Handguns are generally used for personal protection at close range. Due to short barrel the accuracy (about 50 yards) is not as great as a rifle (several hundred yards). Unfortunately, handguns are also used to commit crime.

Anyway, Danger - I'm glad to hear you're out of danger!

Last edited:
The Emasculation of Danger. Cheers, that'll make a good song title for my next record. Glad you're not in prison, although at least you would not have been short of weapons concealed about your person there. Glad you're not carrying loaded firearms around public places too.

Let's see, hmmm, he knows all about aircraft, he's helped out the RCMP, he sometimes carries concealed weapons...Danger is a double 0 spy!

I thought you guys had a license to kill?

Glad you escaped the slammer.

Astronuc said:
One does not hunt with a pistol or handgun. One would use a shotgun or rifle, and rifle calibers vary, but 0.375 is popular, and the biggers would be about 0.458, but one can buy 0.5 guns with large shells.

[/B]

Danger, glad you're OK.

Hunting with handguns is actually quite common. I know of hunters who have taken deer with .357 magnum pistols and the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 that Danger lost is a classic hunting platform. Even larger calibers exist, such as the .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, and Smith and Wesson now makes a revolver that chambers a .50 caliber round and I think Desert Eagle produced an autoloader in with this load. Most of these guns are big and heavy with long barrels and are not particularly well-suited for self-defense carry and thus are pimarily sold as target/hunting firearms.

DocToxyn said:
Most of these guns are big and heavy with long barrels and are not particularly well-suited for self-defense carry and thus are pimarily sold as target/hunting firearms.
Yeah, I realize that, but conventional handguns don't have the long barrels. The guns you mentioned do have longer barrel, as do target pistols, but like you say, they are not suited for self-defense, unless one is planning to defend oneself from a distance of more than 50 yards. But then it might be difficult to claim self-defense. Besides those guns weigh a fair amount and they have a kick to them - depending on the ammo - so in the hands of someone inexperienced, I wouldn't want to be near the line of fire.

Danger said:
Thanks, but there's nothing wrong. As I mentioned in PM's to you and a couple of others,
I've not read that PM! :-p

I've involuntarily collected a girlfriend who keeps me away from home except for one or two nights a week. Also, I'm now working 50 hours a week instead of my previous 30. If my boss hadn't set up this guest account for me on her office computer, I'd never get onto the net at all.
Are you talking about that waitress with sheep's brain? :-p

Artman said:
Let's see, hmmm, he knows all about aircraft, he's helped out the RCMP, he sometimes carries concealed weapons...Danger is a double 0 spy!
Wrong country! And with their record of screw-ups, I don't think that most of the CSIS guys rate more than one '0'. My work for them was as a locksmith: opening premesis for search warrants, repossessing unpaid-for goods, or popping open impounded vehicles (which, if owned by drug dealers, are frequently booby-trapped specifically to kill cops or thieves).

Astronuc said:
Besides those guns weigh a fair amount and they have a kick to them
Yeah... you can drive nails at 100 metres with a Super Blackhawk, but it weighs about 1 1/2 kg empty and has a 7 1/2" barrel. It's way to heavy and awkward for me to get on target in a hurry. Also, since it was the older model without the transfer-bar safety feature, I could only carry 5 rounds in it. (Anyone in his right mind keeps an empty chamber under the hammer of a single-action revolver.) It was actually designed by Elmer Keith in the mid-fifties for handgun hunting elephants. It will kill just about any car on the planet as well. :biggrin:
I don't hunt. Used to shoot gophers (Richardson ground squirrels), but then promised the ex-from-hell that I wouldn't kill anything that wasn't chasing me down an alley and haven't done it for about 10 years. I don't really like shooting live things; the only real reason that I shot gophers instead of tin cans is that you don't have to go and reset gophers.
As for the recoil, it's 18 ft/lbs. We were amused beyond belief by the apparent weakness of Yank gun writers. Before I bought the thing, there was an article about it written by a guy who was at least 6'2" and a couple of hundred pounds. He and several shooters that he quoted were whining about how badly the kick hurt them, and warning people to think twice about obtaining one. The first round fired out of mine was one-handed by my best friend's 16-year-old sister, and she didn't even flinch. :rolleyes

Lisa! said:
Are you talking about that waitress with sheep's brain? :-p
Jeez, no! :eek: She's the one who turned me in.

Again, thanks for all of the positive responses. It means a lot.

However it goes, Danger, I hope for your sake you have at least one gun in reserve..

:rolleyes: :biggrin: :devil:

Been there - done that, I flew manned guns (F-5, F-16) and fired more than enough 20 mm rounds to kill a considerable city in my wild days. However, I killed only two darts (aerial towed targets), which you're not supposed to do. The damage was about K$ 30 in total but nobody cared. In return of a free beer I received a ridiculous formal "dart"-ace certificate. Those were the days.

Somehow it made me hate guns. I think that the mere right to carry guns causes more lethal accidents than the urge for self defence would justify.

Hi Andre;
I think that the F-5 is my favourite jet (next to the Arrow, of course). My, but I would love to play with one of those. Congrats on your Ace award.
You present a good viewpoint, and many agree with you. I would in an ideal world, but we don't live in one. There are people out there who are after whoever they can victimize. One of my friends was trapped under a food-court table in a local mall during a Brinks truck robbery involving full-auto weapons fire, and there's been a rash of gang-related shootings here in the past few months. If I ever find myself in that sort of situation, I damned well want to be able to shoot back. Being an atheist, I value my own existence perhaps more than someone who believes in an afterlife.

Cartidge nicknames vs actual bullet or barrel diameters

Astronuc said:
The ".357 " refers to the bore diameter in inches
It is not that simple. It really is an instance of esoteric nicknaming for particular cartridges/chamberings. Sometimes the nickname refers to the bullet diameter, sometimes it refers to the outer diameter of the casing, and sometimes it is just plain arbitrary. Here is the wikipedia table of 9mm-family cartridges/chamberings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9.8_mm_Auto_Colt

Notice that .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol), in terms of bullet diameter in inches, is really .355, and .38 Special is really .357.

.30-06 (".30 caliber, adopted by the U.S. military in 1906") is really .3085, .30-30 is really .309, and .32 ACP is really .3125.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_mm_caliber

Also see List of cartridges by caliber, which features a list of all of the wikipedia cartridge tables:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cartridges_by_caliber

Damn! How could I have missed this thread.
Happy that you aren't cooling your heels in a cell someplace Danger.

Danger said:
the only real reason that I shot gophers instead of tin cans is that you don't have to go and reset gophers.
:smile: Don't know why that struck me as so funny, but it did. You must have had a LOT of gophers!

Danger said:
I don't really like shooting live things; the only real reason that I shot gophers instead of tin cans is that you don't have to go and reset gophers.

Plus, it's hard to get them to stand back up...until the rigor mortis sets in. :eek: