Can a Gamma-Ray Burst Affect Communication Devices?

Strato Incendus
There have been quite a few threads on gamma-ray bursts already, so I’ll make this one as specific as I need it for my WIP sci-fi story:

Can a gamma-ray burst that affects the entire solar system, among others, damage the majority (if not all) devices capable of interstellar communication? For my story, it doesn’t need to eliminate all conversations via mobile phone on Earth etc. — it only needs to do enough damage to the communication systems within the solar system for the crew of my interstellar spaceship to lose all contact with Earth, and assume the worst has happened to humanity, given they’re no longer receiving signals.The other option would be for the interstellar slowboat to still be in the line of fire of the gamma-ray burst. So that it’s the ship’s communication systems that get fried, rather than those of Earth. I think we once briefly discussed already what would happen to a spaceship if it were in the area of effect. As far as I recall, it wouldn’t necessarily be lethal to everyone inside — given the ship needs lots of shielding against all kinds of radiation anyway — but it could damage the ship’s communication systems.

With the second scenario, normally the crew wouldn’t jump from “we can no longer communicate with Earth, because our own communication systems failed” to “we must wonder whether humanity on Earth has gone extinct”. In the event of the predicted gamma-ray burst, however (the prediction being explicitly the reason the interstellar ship leaves Earth in the first place), the thing that robs the ship of its communication systems would simultaneously also have the power to plausibly wipe out a whole lot of the higher life forms on Earth.

My potential alternative to disrupt electronic communications — a particularly powerful solar flare — would neither be powerful enough to do much other damage to Earth, nor would it affect any of the other colonised planets or moons within the solar system. So even if the crew of the interstellar ship observes the sun lighting up as the solar flare occurs (much like we can observe solar flares on Proxima Centauri), this wouldn’t give them reason to assume humanity at large may have been wiped out.We’ve discussed the choice between the solar flare and the gamma-ray burst before, but without this specific angle (the old thread is closed by now). The gamma-ray burst is set up in the very first chapter — the reader may perceive it as mere background information for why the ship originally left Earth; or they may perceive it as a Chekhov’s gun, and therefore fully expect the gamma-ray burst to go off at a later point in the story. The solar flare would therefore be a twist, without retconning the more general idea behind both the GRB and the flare, namely, “the universe has lots of things in store that could harm us” (the first chapter also mentions how Apophis ultimately impacted Earth, for example).

Basically, the conundrum from a storytelling perspective is that the gamma-ray burst feels subjectively more probable (due to being a Chekhov’s gun), but is statistically and objectively much less probable than a solar flare.

Since I still do need the crew of the ship to believe at this plotpoint that humanity back on Earth may have gone extinct — more importantly, that they on the ship might therefore be the last survivors, and hence have a duty to complete the mission — I’m a little more inclined to go with the gamma-ray burst now than I was the last time I brought up this point. Last time, one user in particular advised me to avoid “dual armageddons”. :smile: This again suggests to me that the reader might subjectively consider the gamma-ray burst more likely than the solar flare, given the setup — even though, in the real world, the exact opposite is the case.

The gamma-ray burst would fulfil several narrative purposes here: Fire off Chekhov’s gun; give the crew a reason to assume they might be the last human beings alive; thereby upping the stakes etc. The crew would also only find out 22 years later (by the end of the trilogy), after Earth has repaired its communication systems, that humanity is still alive, after all. That’s because, at the time of the event, they’re 10 light years from Earth; when they start getting signals from Earth again, they’re 12 light years away, meaning that’s the time the signals from Earth need to get there.
Problems with this idea are:
- Either, I need to assert that people on Earth needed 10 years to restore their communication devices, before they started sending signals to the ship again of their own accord.
- Or, I would need to claim that the people on Earth never considered the ship might wonder whether they had gone extinct. So it is only after the ship has sent a message back on Earth, to test whether anyone is still around (that message takes 10 years to get there, at light speed), that people on Earth feel the necessity to inform them they’re still around (the message back now takes 12 years). This seems hardly believable, though, since the ship has been receiving such long-distance messages before. Why would people on Earth suddenly stop sending them? Unless of course their own communication systems broke down.
- Third option, it is indeed the ship’s communication systems that get damaged — and they need 22 years to fix them. Earth could keep sending messages the entire time, but the ship wouldn’t be able to pick them up. Hardly believable, though, given the level of the ship’s other technology.

That’s a general concern, since e.g. radio communication, for all I know, is a way we make ourselves known to space “automatically” — not something we’d have to actively send somewhere consciously (even though doing so can of course be helpful in SETI). And by today’s standards, radio waves aren’t a particularly advanced technology.

Hence, while communication between Earth and an interstellar ship takes longer and longer with every passing year of the ship’s journey, disrupting this communication entirely may not be as easy as I would need it to be for this plot point to work. :rolleyes:

So in short: Could a gamma-ray burst disrupt all communication between the solar system and an interstellar ship for an extended period of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
How long is a piece of string?

We see about one GRB per day. No disruption.
If we were right next to one, we'd evaporate. Plenty of disruption, but not much of a story. ("There was a gamma ray burst. The end.")

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, Strato Incendus and 3 others
Strato Incendus said:
...for an extended period of time?
No.
I think it would be a few days: a week or two at most (but that's only with a seriously plot-backed one).
Given that interstellar ships would unlikely to have a continuous communication ( I think it's unlikely), it would mean a few missing daily update.

Last edited:
Likes Strato Incendus
Vanadium 50 said:
If we were right next to one, we'd evaporate.
Well, in this case, the GRB comes from WR 104, between 6,000 and 8,000 light years away. :wink: Not really “near”, but arguably still close enough to do considerable damage to life on the surface of Earth.

That’s why people in my story have started moving underground. Which begs the question what would happen to communication devices that are installed underground in general. Would they be also safe from solar flares there? If they’re at a depth where the people living in these underground settlements would be safe from a GRB, too.

Because if that’s the case, the solar-flare explanation wouldn’t work either.

If the 'event' was on a par with a really bad CME, so from close enough --On a galactic scale-- that it was cooking satellites and getting through the atmosphere to zap logic & RAM chips on the surface, cause fatal mutations etc etc, then you'd need MilSpec-grade shielding against the gammas and cascade particles...

Nuclear bunkers, subs, mines, tunnels and other shelters with cover better than, oh, a dozen metres ?
Twenty metres ?
As we're not dealing with nuclear weapons' blast, the former is probably adequate...

There's those Alpine 'Base' tunnels, umpteen miles of road and rail mega-borings, the dual-bores with service route and cross-connections, surface escape adits etc. Channel tunnel ? Subway systems that are deeper than 'cut & cover' or run beneath concrete-floored buildings ? River-crossing tunnels, hopefully while tide is in for added shelter ? Sundry short / short-ish tunnels, from the sort ducking through ridges to those much longer ??

How long will the gamma flash last ? If brief and you were really fortunate, the multiple layers of concrete in a high-rise building's multiple floors could cast a sufficient 'shadow'...

And, perhaps, only affects other side of planet ? Halts before rotation brings 'Hell-Rise' ?? Or only N xor S hemisphere ?

Really bad scenario would be a local 'event' creating a sustained 'polar jet' aimed our way, Odds miniscule, consequences dire. Perhaps the pulsar's beam could progressively precess clear of us, or Sol's proper motion carries us clear. Snag is the zaps may repeat...

Sorry, though a quick search suggests a few 'Usual Suspects' to spawn a sufficiently 'local' pulsar, I can't seem to find anything about their alignment. AFAIR, polar beams usually come from such distance that either the beam completely misses us, source only detected by eg light-echoes, or has sufficiently diverged to repeatedly sweep across us. IIRC, some pulsars in binary systems 'wax and wane'. As yet, none seem to come and go correlated with Earth's orbital position...

Likes Strato Incendus
Nik_2213 said:
Sorry, though a quick search suggests a few 'Usual Suspects' to spawn a sufficiently 'local' pulsar, I can't seem to find anything about their alignment. AFAIR, polar beams usually come from such distance that either the beam completely misses us, source only detected by eg light-echoes, or has sufficiently diverged to repeatedly sweep across us. IIRC, some pulsars in binary systems 'wax and wane'. As yet, none seem to come and go correlated with Earth's orbital position...
Indeed, I wasn’t thinking of pulsars in this scenario. In case of WR 104, it’s the collision of the supermassive stars which is predicted to potentially cause a gamma-ray burst (GRB). The GRB would then follow a trajectory along the rotational axis of the common centre around which the stars circle (the Wolf-Rayet main star and the B-type main sequence star). To my knowledge, this particular GRB would be accompanied by a hypernova, the range of which would of course be much smaller than the range of the GRB itself.

Strato Incendus said:
Why would people on Earth suddenly stop sending them? Unless of course their own communication systems broke down.
Wouldn't be too hard to set up a scenario where the ship was simply forgotten about. Natural disasters, social turmoil, etc etc. Who cares about that ship that left years ago when people are struggling to afford food or water? Who cares about repairing those giant space antennas when there's a civil war going on?

Likes Hornbein and Strato Incendus

1. What is a Gamma-Ray Burst (GRB)?

A Gamma-Ray Burst (GRB) is a highly energetic explosion observed in distant galaxies. They are the most luminous electromagnetic events known to occur in the universe. GRBs can last from milliseconds to several minutes and typically emit strong gamma-ray radiation, which is the most energetic form of light.

2. How can a Gamma-Ray Burst affect communication devices?

Gamma-ray bursts can potentially affect communication devices by disrupting the Earth's ionosphere, which is a layer of the Earth's atmosphere that reflects and modifies radio waves used for communication. A strong burst could ionize the atmosphere, leading to increased free electrons and possibly affecting radio signals, GPS, and other forms of satellite communication temporarily.

3. Has a Gamma-Ray Burst ever impacted Earth's communication systems?

There is no recorded instance of a Gamma-Ray Burst directly impacting Earth's communication systems. However, scientists theorize that a close enough and strong enough GRB could cause such effects. Most GRBs observed are extremely distant and their energy dissipates across vast stretches of space before reaching Earth.

4. What are the chances of a Gamma-Ray Burst affecting Earth?

The probability of a Gamma-Ray Burst directly affecting Earth is very low. GRBs are rare events relative to the scale of the universe, and the alignment required for a burst to directly hit Earth is highly improbable. Additionally, the vast majority of bursts are located far away from our galaxy.

5. What measures can be taken to protect communication devices from a potential Gamma-Ray Burst impact?

Currently, there are no specific measures in place to protect against the effects of a Gamma-Ray Burst because of their rarity and the low likelihood of impact. However, continuous monitoring of outer space and advancements in understanding the nature of GRBs can help in developing protective strategies in the future, should the need arise.