What role does science fiction play in keeping our minds sharp and curious?

• Thread starter timza
  • Start date
In summary, science fiction plays a significant role in keeping our minds sharp and curious by challenging our imagination and critical thinking skills. By presenting fantastical or futuristic scenarios, it encourages us to think outside the box and consider possibilities beyond our current reality. It also often explores complex themes and ethical dilemmas, prompting us to question our own beliefs and values. Additionally, science fiction can inspire us to explore and understand scientific concepts and advancements, leading to a deeper understanding of the world around us. Overall, science fiction serves as a mental workout, stimulating our minds and keeping us curious about the unknown.
timza
I am a mechanical engineer, but I usually don't tell people that. Sometimes when I overhear someone say something wrong I will say, well, you know, this and that, and they come back with something like "You fool, you need to take a basic physics class." Well. I don't tell them I had a class or two or three or I guess four if you count high school. But. I have not continued to polish my classical mechanics as much as my fluid and heat transfer that pays the bills. I am now listening to the Bobiverse trilogy by Dennis E. Taylor with the Audible app on my phone for the second time. I listened through and started at the beginning again and am now again on the third book. I miss thinking the way I did in school and the way I do with a really good science fiction novel or movie. I used to run a lot. I now want to be really really good with photography.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile: