What is your favorite writing tool?

• Thread starter Jabberwocky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the conversation discusses individuals' preferences for writing tools, specifically pens and pencils, for various tasks such as math and physics, normal writing, and sketching. Some individuals mention specific brands and types of pencils they prefer, while others prefer pens for their ability to make individuals think more before writing.
Jabberwocky
What is your favorite writing tool and why?

Do you prefer pen or pencil for doing math/physics and why? What about for normal writing?

For awhile I've been using a Rotring 600 silver drafting pencil that was passed down to me, but I'm still not sure whether I prefer pencil or pen. I have yet to find the perfect pen, but I've used the Uniball Vision Exact for awhile. I consider this a fairly important question, and I'm curious to hear everyone's preferences =)

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer mechanical pencils.

Jabberwocky said:

Do you prefer pen or pencil for doing math/physics and why? What about for normal writing?

For awhile I've been using a Rotring 600 silver drafting pencil that was passed down to me, but I'm still not sure whether I prefer pencil or pen. I have yet to find the perfect pen, but I've used the Uniball Vision Exact for awhile. I consider this a fairly important question, and I'm curious to hear everyone's preferences =)

Here's a long thread from a few months ago with some opinions...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=429675&highlight=pilot

I exclusively use these.

Normal pencils are a hassle with all that sharpening and what have you. Other mechanical pencils are a hassle as well. You click once, and the lead is too short, click again, and it's too long. So you have to work-around by clicking twice and then holding it down and manually push the lead into reach the desired length!

You can rotate these papermate ones to the desired length, they work great.

I want to save enough money to buy a Pelikan M400 to write math though I don't know how does it fells. It sells 1000 rmb in China.

I use a quill feather with the skull of a puppy for an ink well.

I only use http://www.papermate.com/SiteCollectionImages/Products/Pencils/clearpoint-blk.jpg.

Drafting pencils are actually a great idea. I'm going to look into those. :smile:

Jabberwocky said:

Pen. It makes you think more before you put something on paper.

I like the pentel tranxition because it hurts not my fingers and leaves no indentation :biggrin:

My favorite pencil is a Caran D'ache Fixpencil w/ 2mm leads. For sketching, writing notes, etc, it can't be beat. I have a lot of mechanical pencils, but this old dinosaur is my favorite.

Related to What is your favorite writing tool?

1. What makes a writing tool your favorite?

My favorite writing tool is one that is comfortable to hold, has a smooth writing experience, and allows for easy customization such as different ink colors or line widths.

2. Do you prefer traditional or digital writing tools?

I enjoy a mix of both traditional and digital writing tools. While I appreciate the convenience and versatility of digital tools, I also enjoy the tactile experience of writing with pen and paper.

3. What is your favorite type of writing tool?

I don't have a specific favorite type of writing tool, as I believe each type has its own unique advantages. However, I do tend to gravitate towards gel pens for their smooth writing and variety of ink colors.

4. How do you choose which writing tool to use for a specific task?

I consider the purpose of the writing task, the type of paper or surface I will be writing on, and my personal preference. For example, if I am writing in a journal, I may choose a fountain pen for a more elegant look, whereas for note-taking, I may opt for a ballpoint pen for its quick-drying ink.

5. Have you ever tried a writing tool that surprised you?

Yes, I have tried many writing tools that have surprised me. I enjoy experimenting with new tools and techniques, and have found some surprising favorites along the way. For example, I never thought I would enjoy using a brush pen for writing, but now it is one of my go-to tools for creating unique lettering styles.