What is the ultimate writing tool: pencil or pen?

• Thread starter Aufbauwerk 2045
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the participants' favorite writing implements and preferences for note-taking and writing. They discuss various options such as mechanical pencils, rolling ball pens, fountain pens, and regular pencils. Some prefer pens, while others prefer pencils for their ease of use and smudge-free writing. The discussion also touches on the topic of bound versus unbound notebooks and the use of whiteboards for quick notes. Some participants also mention specific brands and models that they prefer, such as the Pilot G-2 and the Faber Castell pencils. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of having the right writing tool for individual preferences and needs.
Aufbauwerk 2045
My three favorite writing implements are my Twist-Erase 0.7 mechanical pencil, my Precise V5 rolling ball pen, and my Cross fountain pen. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. But in terms of ease of use I prefer the Twist-Erase. I just wish the marks were darker and that they did not smudge.

I'm curious what others in the pen and pencil camp use. Also I'm curious about the question of bound vs unbound notebook, paper size, and whether you scan your paper notes for archival purposes.

Is there a pen or pencil technology that combines the ease of use of Twist-Erase but which does not smudge and makes darker marks?

Sorry is this has been asked before. I could not find it. Please delete if it is redundant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Hoophy and levadny
Physics news on Phys.org
Writing: on paper (notes and/or calculations) with Pilot friXion 0.5 purple erasable pens; on whiteboards with expo markers.

I use pens. The Pilot G-2 isn't perfect, but it's close enough for me.

For study I use pen Parker. Parker is best desigion For lectures and calculation. But for study Knuth I use only simple wood pensil.

Definitely a pen fan.

Paper mate Profile multi-colors are great to write with, and help keep information categorized.

I've always enjoyed my 0.5mm Kon-I-Noor Rapidograph technical pen.

For a sketching pencil: California Republic Palomino 2B

Pencil. Just got a Uni Kuru Toga for Christmas and I love it!

Generally, fountain pens - Lamy Safari and Platinium Preppys.
Cheap pencils for brainstorming.

I'm definitely an Expo marker + whiteboard guy. Quick calculations or notes to myself all just end up there.

If I'm writing on paper, it's usually a pen that I've stolen from TD bank, and it's always on 1/4 inch grid paper. I find it easier to use than college ruled or legal pads because the lines are smaller. It also allows me to write upside down or sideways, or do diagrams.

For drawing / sketching I usually use acid-free water color paper and a combination of 6H, 2H, 2B, and 6B graphite pencils. I'm honestly not sure what brand they are, I only care about how soft they are (I have a complete set, but those 4 are the most worn.)

mechanical pencil

some good writing focused regular pencils are in my opinion, Faber castell pencils with the studs and triangular cross section (when looking at the pen from the back)

I like to use drawing / art pencils sometimes even for writing because they are softer and nice.Pens are always bad pretty much because the ballpoint always fails in the middle of writing some word, at least in my experience.
The only good ballpoint pen that I recently acquired was a freebie engineers' association pen, which is very effective even though it looks flimsy and cheap.
Fountain pen could be nice though

Pen. Pilot-G2, 0.7 mm.

s0706564_sc7?$splssku$.jpg

Pad: I carry around a pocket sized pad (Caliber Composition Notebook) wherever I go, and use it if I can't find anything else to write on such as napkins or larger sized notebooks.

41gLfjLbqGL.jpg

Last edited:
Would be nice if posters attached pic of what their writing with their cited implement looks like.

epenguin said:
Would be nice if posters attached pic of what their writing with their cited implement looks like.
DrClaude said:
Pencil. Just got a Uni Kuru Toga for Christmas and I love it!
UN23992-SI~Uni-Kuru-Toga-Roulette-Pencil-05mm-M5-1017-Silver_P1.jpg

And check out this video to understand the nice engineering behind it:

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and epenguin

Related to What is the ultimate writing tool: pencil or pen?

1. What are the advantages of using a pencil for writing?

Pencils are versatile writing tools that offer several advantages. Firstly, they do not require sharpening as often as pens, providing a longer lifespan. Additionally, pencils can be erased, making them ideal for writing and editing purposes. They also do not run out of ink, making them reliable for long writing sessions. Furthermore, pencils are typically less expensive than pens, making them a more economical option.

2. What are the benefits of using a pen for writing?

Pens also have several advantages as writing tools. Firstly, they provide a smoother and more consistent writing experience compared to pencils. Additionally, pens are available in a variety of colors and tip sizes, allowing for more creativity and customization in writing. They also produce a more professional and permanent result, making them suitable for important documents and signatures. Finally, pens are typically more durable and long-lasting compared to pencils.

3. Which writing tool is better for the environment?

In terms of environmental impact, pencils are generally considered to be the better option. This is because they are mostly made of wood and can be easily recycled. On the other hand, pens are mainly made of plastic and metal, which take longer to decompose and can contribute to pollution. However, using refillable pens can help reduce waste and make them a more environmentally friendly option.

4. Which writing tool is better for handwriting?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and handwriting style. Some people may prefer the smooth flow of pens, while others may find pencils easier to control. It may also depend on the type of paper used, as some pens may bleed or skip on certain types of paper. Experimenting with both tools can help determine which one is better suited for an individual's handwriting.

5. Are there any alternatives to traditional pencils and pens?

Yes, there are other writing tools that can be used instead of pencils and pens. Some examples include markers, highlighters, and fountain pens. These tools offer different writing experiences and may be preferred by some individuals. However, pencils and pens remain the most commonly used writing tools due to their versatility, affordability, and availability.