What is the History of Cosmology and How Does it Relate to Modern Research?

• Thread starter garypegoda
  • Start date
In summary, cosmology is the study of the universe and its origins, development, and ultimate fate. It has been a topic of interest and inquiry since ancient times, with early civilizations creating myths and explanations for the cosmos. In modern times, cosmology has evolved into a scientific discipline, with astronomers and physicists using observations and mathematical models to understand the universe. Major advancements, such as the discovery of the Big Bang theory and the existence of dark matter, have greatly shaped our understanding of the cosmos. Cosmology continues to be a field of active research, with scientists studying topics such as the expansion of the universe and the search for life beyond Earth.
garypegoda
How did you find PF?
I was researching and this group came up.
I have been studying, independently, for the most part, although now I am learning a lot in the Cosmology section of Facebook. I know somewhat of the history of humankind's study of the universe, but I am weak at math. I am a questioner of everything, but not in a negative or tactless way.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile: