Geologist/Engineer interested in cosmology and consciousness

• Thread starter Lenny Briscoe
  • Start date
In summary, a geologist or engineer who is interested in cosmology and consciousness is someone who has a deep curiosity about the origins and workings of the universe, as well as the nature of consciousness and its connection to the physical world. This individual may have a strong background in science and mathematics, and seeks to bridge the gap between the study of the physical world and the mysteries of consciousness. They may explore topics such as the origins of the universe, the possibility of extraterrestrial life, and the role of consciousness in shaping our understanding of reality.
Lenny Briscoe
How did you find PF?
By accident. I thought I was in Quora.
I am a retired engineering geologist and civil/geotechnical engineer. I've been thinking a lot about the significance of human consciousness as the universe looking at itself - not in any magical, metaphysical way, rather how it relates to what we know and don't know about the physics underlying the universe.

Anyway, I took 15 units of physics (classical, E&M, modern) in college and 13 units of calculus, but no diffEQs or linear algebra, so ... don't pick on me. I'm interested mostly in astrophysics, cosmology and consciousness. I'm here to learn to the extent possible, given the esoterica.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

We're of less help on philosophical questions about consciousness, but of great help on science questions. Enjoy! :smile:

Likes Lenny Briscoe
berkeman said:

We're of less help on philosophical questions about consciousness, but of great help on science questions. Enjoy! :smile:
I understand that, but there is a number of very reputable physicists pondering the currently philosophical question of consciousness. Inasmuch as consciousness presumably evolved subsequent to the big bang, I suspect there will be physics underlying the phenomenon, whether it's known or emergent physics.

Lenny Briscoe said:
I understand that, but there is a number of very reputable physicists pondering the currently philosophical question of consciousness. Inasmuch as consciousness presumably evolved subsequent to the big bang, I suspect there will be physics underlying the phenomenon, whether it's known or emergent physics.
True. But keep in mind that thread starts at PF in the technical forums must include a link to the peer-reviewed literature on the subject. That keeps the quality of the discussions high here. Links to the popular press trying to interpret (and sensationalize) recent research are not sufficient or allowed for thread starts.

Besides, you want to maximize your efforts in studying real science, right? There are some very interesting real science studies going on that may help us start to figure out consciousness and how the brain works. Have you looked into fMRI yet? :smile:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3073717/

https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/Research/whatisfmri.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_magnetic_resonance_imaging

Likes BillTre and hutchphd
berkeman said:
Have you looked into fMRI yet? :smile:
Seems to me to be a lot of "tea leaves reading" involved in functional MRI. I have not really looked at it so this is not a well founded opinion...rather a first impression. What do you (all) think?

Careful studies have found changes in activity in certain brain areas to be correlated with some very specific functions.
It also involves a lot of brain anatomy and physiology.
Big picture is not yet clear.

Likes Klystron, berkeman and hutchphd
berkeman said:

Before 1916, relativity may have been considered "philosophical" and ditto quantum mechanics before 1920.

Maybe, but it's 2021 now and both relativity and quantum physics is considered hardcore physics.

Lenny Briscoe said:
Before 1916, relativity may have been considered "philosophical" and ditto quantum mechanics before 1920.
The 20th Century provided major developments not only in physics itself but in the way we think about physics.

My personal belief is consciousness is either intractable (not something conducive to clear experimental verification) or we are simply are not smart enough to figure it out. Physics works so well because it studies very simple objects. The brain is the most complex object in the universe are we really know #%*t about it - for example, not a single psychiatric disorder has an established biological explanation

• Skeptical
Likes Bystander
We've exceeded the maximum word limit for a New Member Introduction thread, so I'll go ahead and tie it off now. :smile:

• Haha
Likes phinds, Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50

Related to Geologist/Engineer interested in cosmology and consciousness

1. What is the connection between geology/engineering and cosmology?

Geology and engineering are both fields that study the physical world and how it operates. In cosmology, scientists also study the physical world, but on a much larger scale - the entire universe. Geologists and engineers may be interested in cosmology because it allows them to apply their knowledge and skills to understanding the universe and its processes.

2. How does consciousness fit into the study of cosmology?

Consciousness is a complex and often debated topic, but it is generally defined as the awareness and perception of one's surroundings and experiences. In cosmology, consciousness is often studied in the context of the anthropic principle, which suggests that the universe is fine-tuned for the existence of conscious beings. Some scientists also explore the role of consciousness in understanding the nature of reality and the universe.

3. What are some current theories or research in the intersection of geology/engineering and cosmology?

One current area of research is the study of planetary formation and evolution, which involves both geology and cosmology. Engineers may also be involved in designing and building instruments for cosmological experiments, such as telescopes and detectors. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the potential for human exploration and colonization of other planets, which requires knowledge and expertise from both geology and engineering.

4. How can an understanding of geology/engineering contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Geology and engineering provide a foundation of knowledge and skills that can be applied to studying the universe. For example, an understanding of geological processes can help us understand the formation and evolution of planets, while engineering principles can be used to design and build instruments for studying the cosmos. Additionally, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills developed in these fields can be applied to complex cosmological questions.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone with interests in both geology/engineering and cosmology/consciousness?

Some potential career paths for someone with these interests could include working as a planetary geologist, designing and building instruments for cosmological research, or conducting research on the intersection of consciousness and cosmology. Other options could include working in the aerospace industry, teaching at a university, or pursuing further education in a related field such as astrobiology or planetary science.