What Does Inedible Really Mean in Cooking?

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary: I hate doctors.:rolleyes:In summary, Hurkyl is trying to avoid eating anything with weight to it because he is sick, but he is allowed to eat Jello. He has a funny story about how changing one letter in a sentence can change its meaning, and he also recommends drinking Gatorade.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Who am I to argue? :approve:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh you poor thing...I don't know what I would do if I wasn't allowed to eat jello. :smile:

It's funny how changing one letter can make the sentence mean almost the opposite of what was intended. At least, I think you meant prescribed.

Oh sure, make fun of a sick man! :cry:

Jello is jiggly, cold, and colorful.

Having made that clear, what did he prescribe it for?

I had a bout of vomiting in the wee A.M. about 16 hours ago. I've had stuff to eat today, but he didn't want me eating any more... so if I did get hungry, I'm to eat Jello! (Well, there were some other choices too)

I always make the mistake of eating Stouffers macaroni & cheese when my stomach is bothering me: it's the most mild and soothing thing I can imagine to actually eat, and I forget that it's not exactly easy on your digestive system. So, understandably, he doesn't want me to eat anything more with any weight to it. :smile:

Be wary of purple jello, it might actually be an evil, purple jellyfish in disguise.

There's purple jello? I like red, and I think blue might have been okay...I only remember getting it once though, so maybe it wasn't. :confused: (And how many foods do you get to name by color rather than flavor?) You can have all my green or orange Jell-O. :biggrin:

When my tummy gives me trouble, I just heat up a can of chicken broth. Toss in a little pasta (pastina is the best...the little stars that cook quickly and taste creamy in broth). It's very light, easy to swallow, feels warm going down, nutritious, and should it decide to argue with you and not stay down, it's not nearly as nasty as some things you eat when they return.

I can never seem to find just plain chicken broth. They always like to put stuff in it. :frown:

rachmaninoff said:
Be wary of purple jello, it might actually be an evil, purple jellyfish in disguise.
Here's one on the beach pretending to be a blob of jello:

jellyfish-1.jpg

Make note of the details so you don't ever get fooled.

zoobyshoe said:
Here's one on the beach pretending to be a blob of jello:

jellyfish-1.jpg

Make note of the details so you don't ever get fooled.
my, god! it's almost seamless!:eek: :bugeye:

yomamma said:
my, god! it's almost seamless!:eek: :bugeye:
Eh? Why should it have seams?

was that a joke? I couldn't tell.

yomamma said:
was that a joke? I couldn't tell.
No joke. I can't figure out why someone would look at a jellyfish and notice something 'seamless" about it.

seamless-- showing no sign of being false or unoriginal

something like that.

Hurkyl said:
I can never seem to find just plain chicken broth. They always like to put stuff in it. :frown:
Wander away from the soups and further down the aisle. There's chicken broth, beef broth and vegetable broth, all meant for cooking. Look for light blue or white labels...the major brands seem to have similar labels, and the store brands mimic those colors.

yomamma said:
seamless-- showing no sign of being false or unoriginal

something like that.
Not exactly:

seamless
One entry found for seamless.
Main Entry: seam·less
Pronunciation: 'sEm-l&s
Function: adjective
1 : having no seams
2 : having no awkward transitions or indications of disparity : perfectly smooth <a seamless fusion of beauty and intelligence -- Jack Kroll et al.>
- seam·less·ly /-lE/ adverb
- seam·less·ness /-n&s/ noun

Anyway, that's a real picture of a real jellyfish. They look like that when they wash up on the beach if they've been battered in the surf quite a bit.

I used to eat chili with sour cream in it when I would get sick and throw up. It seemed to settle my stomach.

Moonbear's suggestion of chicken broth and pastina is also a great one, that will cure just about anything. :approve:

I am not a jello eater.

Only red and blue Jello are for eating. The others are to be used solely for juggling, long distance throwing, or nailing to trees. Am I the only one who reads the instructions?!

I hope you feel better, Hurkyl. :smile: Drink lots of water.

Oh, and Green Jello is people!

*phew* I only bought red jello.

I was also instructed to drink Gatorade. I've never had that before! I was only able to drink about 16 oz last night. Hopefully I'll be able to drink some more this morning.

Actually, I am feeling much better... but then again I'm eating as we speak... we'll see if I stay feeling better!

Hey there Hurkyl, so I take it you've got the three letter bug that everyone cringes when they here?
F-L-U

:eek: Hope you didn't catch it from a bird...

Hope you're feeling better soon too. I got the same thing right now. I'm on my way out the door to the doc. This sucks, I can hardly move - I know what a mummy feels like that's come back to life now. But at least I can spend more time on the board. :wink:

Cola is a good remedy for upset stomach, the phosphoric acid in it kills the bacteria that may be the cause of the symptoms :smile: Feel better soon!

Nope, no flu. I don't get sick. :biggrin: :rolleyes: Food poisoning seems the most likely explanation -- an upset stomach has been essentially the only symptom I've shown. Everything else stems from that.

I wish I knew about soda -- I have plenty of that around. :smile: Just cola, or any carbonated beverage?

I'm not sure about the other sodas, I tried looking up more information on the internet (which I didn't really find).. but look at this:

you can get cola syrup at the drugstore to treat nausea associated with upset stomach :biggrin:
"Pour over crushed ice and sip slowly" :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Only red and blue Jello are for eating. The others are to be used solely for juggling, long distance throwing, or nailing to trees. Am I the only one who reads the instructions?!

You get blue now? What flavour is that trying to be?

Blue is a flavor! :-p

matthyaouw said:
You get blue now? What flavour is that trying to be?
Blue isn't a flavor? Oh, flavour. I don't know what a flavour is.

JELL-O Brand Gelatin Dessert
Apricot
Berry Blue
Black Cherry
Cherry
Cranberry
Cranberry-Raspberry
Grape
Pineapple
Lemon Lime
Mixed Fruit
Orange
Peach
Raspberry
Strawberry
Strawberry-Banana
Strawberry-Kiwi
Wild Strawberry

JELL-O Brand Sugar Free Low Calorie Gelatin Dessert
Black Cherry
Cherry
Cranberry
Lemon
Lime Mixed Fruit
Orange Peach
Raspberry-Strawberry
Strawberry-Banana
Strawberry-Kiwi
Wild Berry

X-Treme JELL-O Brand Gelatin Dessert
Green Apple
Watermelon
Wild Berry

Mystery JELL-O Brand Gelatin Dessert
Magical Twist

-- http://www.kraftfoods.com/jello/main.aspx?s=&m=jlo_family_gelatin
Wow, they call it a family. How creepy is that? Maybe all Jello is people! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
honestrosewater said:
Blue isn't a flavor? Oh, flavour. I don't know what a flavour is.

I'm UKish. Sue me.

You can't expect everybody to learn your language. Learn to speak English! :approve:

matthyaouw said:
Oh, then why does that site say you're Chiefly British? :-p

Hurkyl, stop responding to the same post a minute before me!

honestrosewater said:
Hurkyl, stop responding to the same post a minute before me!
Only if you stop responding to the same post a minute after me! :wink:

Hurkyl said:
Only if you stop responding to the same post a minute after me! :wink:
Touché...

*quickly checks the "Who's Online" page before posting this reply...*

*posts without checking on Hurkyl's whereabouts*

I live on the edge. :cool:

Hey, I just thought of a new word: wearabouts. It's casual stuff that you wear just out and about. :approve:

Hrm. It would be a problem if the Canadians picked that one up, since that one word would sound like a command to don some footwear!