When they first called you Dr.___________?

• Thread starter Chandller
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of obtaining a PhD in Mathematics. The speaker, a non-traditional student, asks for insight from those who have already achieved this goal. The discussion touches on the years of hard work and the feeling of relief and celebration upon receiving the title of Dr. The conversation also mentions potential future opportunities and unresolved questions related to the research project.
Chandller
Gold Member
Hi PF,
As maybe a handful of you know, I am a non-traditional student who has had the dream of becoming, and who is slowly working their way toward, a Doctorate of Mathematics (Ph.D). After all the years of grinding towards it, I wanted to ask those who have made the summit, what was the surrounding circumstance and what was it like when you first received your PhD and they finally called you Dr.__________?

Thank you,
Chandller

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
Chandller said:
what was the surrounding circumstance
I was in graduate school for many years, working on my thesis research project (in biology).

Chandller said:
what was it like when you first received your PhD and they finally call you Dr.__________?
Relief at being done with the writing up part.
Celebration (of getting PhD and being done with the writing up part).
Still interested in issues with my research project that were unresolved questions. Many open ended issues derived from the subject.
More in depth consideration of what to do next (possible Post-Doc jobs).

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, etotheipi and Chandller

1. What does it mean to be called "Dr."?

Being called "Dr." is a title of respect that is typically used to address someone who has earned a doctoral degree. It is an indication of their level of education and expertise in their field of study.

2. How do you earn the title of "Dr."?

To earn the title of "Dr.", one must complete a doctoral degree program in a specific field of study, such as medicine, law, or science. This typically involves several years of advanced coursework, research, and the completion of a dissertation or thesis.

3. Can anyone be called "Dr."?

No, not everyone can be called "Dr." Only those who have earned a doctoral degree can use this title. However, some medical professionals, such as nurses and pharmacists, may also be called "Dr." if they have completed a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree.

4. Are all doctoral degrees equal?

No, not all doctoral degrees are equal. There are different types of doctoral degrees, such as a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of Education (EdD), and Doctor of Psychology (PsyD), which have different areas of focus and requirements for completion.

5. Is it necessary to use the title of "Dr." when addressing someone with a doctoral degree?

It is not necessary to use the title of "Dr." when addressing someone with a doctoral degree, but it is considered a sign of respect and acknowledgement of their achievement. Some individuals may prefer to be addressed by their first name, while others may prefer to use their title. It is best to ask how they would like to be addressed.