What do you do with a problem like Ahmadinejad?

• News
  • Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary: Ahmadinejad is sincere about peaceful uses for enrichment, it's important that we open a dialog with him to try and clarify these uses. At the same time, we should be wary of what he says, as it's possible that he is planning to use these nuclear weapons in a hostile way. If Bush refuses to talk to Iran and Syria, I tend not to trust a word out of his mouth. He should resign or get impeached.
Yonoz said:
Do you think the west has not exhausted the diplomatic route?
Good question. Actually - I don't think they have seriously tried.

How can the west be serious about diplomacy, when Bush is in the background talking about the military option.

Of course, we only know what has been released in public, so we don't know what has been said/discussed behind the scenes.

Gokul said:
"Many" does not a majority make. . . . Iranians, I think and hope, are more progressive, but considering that they elected Ahmedinejad (whose views on Israel, among other things, were well known) overwhelmingly, they can't feel that differently on a majority of issues from his stated opinions.
What I don't know is whether the "many" are a minority or majority, but I am also not willing to dismiss Muslims as a single group, just like 'the west' is not a homogenous population.

The election of Ahmedinejad is certainly problematic. But how much of that was a reaction to Bush and his belligerent policies?

Reagan and Thatcher blew opportunities with Gorbachev, and look where Russia is now. It could have been so much better.

We are now paying dearly for the sins of the past. I would prefer not to continue with the same failed policies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Russian needs its electricity. On the other hand, Russia's proposal has been to supply fuel to the Iran and 'take back' the spent fuel, which is a policy Russia had with all its E. European neighbors during the cold war and in some cases since. So there would be no reprocessing or long term waste disposal in Iran.

Also, Iran could build highly efficient combined cycle plants which use less thermal energy for a given amount of electrical energy, and out in the desert areas, they could build solar power stations.

So Iran does not need nuclear energy at this point.

Does that mean other countries like yours only try to get something base of theirpresent needs? Hmm does that mean they need nuclear weapons for killing people and that's pretty vital for them? and why other countries have the right to use both nuclear and so;ar power at the same time but Iran doesn't?

BTW, I have a question from you since you're a nuclear expert. what do you think of the future of a country withought uclear science and technology?:smile:

Gokul43201 said:
The people in Afghanistan for instance, were overwhelmingly in support of the execution of Abdul Rahman for his conversion from Islam. Iranians, I think and hope, are more progressive, but considering that they elected Ahmedinejad (whose views on Israel, among other things, were well known) overwhelmingly, they can't feel that differently on a majority of issues from his stated opinions.
Why would you people think that Iranian elected Ahmadinejad because of his views on Israel? :rolleyes:

Gokul43201 said:
Speculation? Are you denying that Iran bought weapons technology from AQ Khan, or just unaware of it? It is almost universally accepted - especially after his public admission - that the AQ Khan network sold centrifuge technology and parts to Iran.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/pakistan/khan.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Qadeer_Khan
Could you find anything in the article Yonoz linked which backs the clam he made when presenting it? If so, could you please quote that portion of the article? I'd like to clear that up first before moving on to what you posted.

Lisa! said:
Why would you people think that Iranian elected Ahmadinejad because of his views on Israel? :rolleyes:
I didn't say that. I believe that, given a field of candidates, the people vote for the one that closest shares their ideas on how things ought to be. Israel is only one of many aspects of this.

I think I can understand why women would want to vote for him - from what I've read, he's been quite supportive of reform that treats women less harshly than before (and I hope that's what the majority of women want). I have no idea however, what percentage of the voting public is female; I've imagined this fraction to be small, but I hope I'm wrong. And I'm sure his strongly anti-American agenda resonated with a lot of people, but this is mostly second-hand information and some speculation. Also, maybe I'm just terribly disappointed because I always thought Karroubi had a good chance, and I was rooting for him (didn't care for either Ahmadinejad or Rafsanjani).

But you're the best preson to tell us why someone who was so loyal to al Khamenei did so well, especially in the second round.

kyleb said:
I'm not looking for a skirmish, I'm just wondering where you got your conclusion when you said:

If you'd please explain that first, then I'd be happy to move on to your question.
Astronuc asked an identical question, and I answered it.
I stand corrected, but it is nevertheless quite clear from the article that the technology was transferred in a deal to allow all 3 nations: Pakistan, Iran and North Korea to benefit from each other's advances to produce a nuclear balistic missile program. Obviously some will disagree but I think they would not be so happy about having a nuclear-capable Islamic fundamentalist neighbour whose leaders repeatedly describe the destruction of their state as a noble goal.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
"Many" does not a majority make.

The people in Afghanistan for instance, were overwhelmingly in support of the execution of Abdul Rahman for his conversion from Islam. Iranians, I think and hope, are more progressive, but considering that they elected Ahmedinejad (whose views on Israel, among other things, were well known) overwhelmingly, they can't feel that differently on a majority of issues from his stated opinions.

Gokul,.....does the majority of Americans overwhelimingly feel the same on what Bush has to say? :rolleyes:

Are all Americans right wing conservative christians? Ok, exactly...

Last edited:
Yonoz said:
Because they keep making death threats on entire nations.
Fine, make it in Turkey - show that shining beacon of an Islamic democracy just how much you love 'em by giving them more jobs and money. Heck, just give Haliburton another contract in Iraq, I hear they get quickly through all the red tape. Money makes the world go around, and when the US wants stability that bad, money is not an issue.
Only Israel is not run by Ayatollahs and does not constantly threaten to wipe Iran off the map.

This is more fantasy... Why not give Israeli power to Iran?

The destruction in Lebanon was caused by Hizbullah's use of civilian neighbourhoods and villages to attack Israeli civilians. I don't think anyone in their right minds would think knocking down buildings in Beirut will simply prompt Hizbullah to come out with their hands up and hand over the soldiers.

REALLLYYYY? That's not what Tsipi Livini, Foreign Minister of Israel, seems to have said. She said the goals the military wanted. It was caused because Israel, like always, wants to bomb first and ask questions later.

LIVNI: I know that. I know that. There`s a difference - there is a gap between what I expected from the army to begin with and the expectations of the public. And it was also changed in terms of -- during this month it was changed. I think it is clear that the military operation cannot bring back the hostages back home. It`s not enough, a military operation. And knowing that, Israel decided knowingly to attack Hezbollah and not to attack the Lebanese government. This is a very complicated situation.

ROSE: But the people that the Lebanese government represented suffered greatly?

LIVNI: Well, everybody .

ROSE: And the Israeli people were suffering greatly too.

LIVNI: Israelis and Lebanese suffered but there was a strategic decision. We could have attacked Lebanon and this could be an easy job in a way, because the Israeli army is weak and we could targeted the infrastructure of Lebanon and we were asked to by our chief-of-staff. And the military forces.

ROSE: They wanted you to do what, to go all out and declare war against Lebanon.

LIVNI: Yes, and to hit the Lebanese infrastructure, the electricity, water and all the others and we said - and we were asked.

ROSE: But that would be madness, would it not? It would lead you -- the entire country would be led into war with Israel, not Hezbollah and it would also lead other surrounding Arab countries to have to make a decision about what they would do.

LIVNI: You`re right. From a military perspective, this could have been an easy operation. But we were responsible in a way and we decided not do it. And since the first day of the operation, we asked by the international community not to undermine the Lebanese government and we accepted.

So the operation became very complicated because it is very difficult to target Hezbollah members which are hiding within, among the civilian population in the south part of Lebanon, targeting Israel and there`s a difference because we were looking for -- our forces were looking for the Hezbollah among the civilian populations and to target only the terrorists while they were targeting Israeli civilian population centers in order to kill civilians.

So it is two different battles from two different sides. And it became -- it is more complicated goal for an army to fight against guerillas or terrorists and not against a state.

So the goal is, you asked me at the beginning what is the goal? The goal is to end a state with the border hoping that Lebanon will be a functioning state and not a state with weak government, with a terrorist organization like militias and maybe this is not only the future but this is also the role of the international community to pressure, to put the pressure on Lebanon to change.

ROSE: It has been said that you wanted to use diplomacy earlier.

LIVNI: Yes. Yes.

ROSE: And the prime minister said no. Reigned you in, said I don`t want you to go do that now. There is a time later for talk after we achieve our military objectives.

LIVNI: Tough question in tough days. It is true that, as I said before, my expectations from the army were limited.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4005416540334575462&q=type%3Atvshow

But I digress, back to the topic of Iran...

You can hide centrifuges and reactors in a very deep hole, but every hole has an entrance and vents. Cruise and guided missiles can be fired from hundreds of kilometres away. The Americans have really big bombs - the infamous bunker buster bombs contain surplus cannons. I bet they thought of something.

Sorry, don't be fooled into thinking precision weapons are a godsend. They don't work that well. This is more nonsense. Most guided bombs dont hit their intended targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yonoz said:
Do you think the west has not exhausted the diplomatic route?

What, have we not explained to you enough times already that the US is willing not talking to Iran, Syria, or Palestine? I think it was explicit. You can read it for yourself online if you don't believe me. You have some bad information... Iran and the US has not had serious talks in 30 years. Is this your idea of "exhausted the diplomatic route!?" When Iran has openly stated it wants talks? Are you just posting whatever you feel like typing? (no disrespect Yonoz, but come on!)

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Gokul,.....does the majority of Americans overwhelimingly feel the same on what Bush has to say? :rolleyes:
When he was elected, in 2000 and 2004, a narrow majority of the US electorate did agree with Bush on (more than half of the relevant issues at the time, or so I imagine. Bush won by a single state in 04' with a 2% margin on the popular vote. Ahmedinejad won by a 25% margin in the run-off. Perhaps 'overwhelming' is a poor adjective - maybe 'by a wide margin' is a better description.

Are all Americans right wing conservative christians? Ok, exactly...
What? Where are you going with this question? But to answer it, no. So?

Well, with all due respect, what you said seemed out there.

I think I can understand why women would want to vote for him - from what I've read, he's been quite supportive of reform that treats women less harshly than before (and I hope that's what the majority of women want).

Are you suggesting that somewhere women want to be treated harshly? :confused: :rolleyes:

Iranians, I think and hope, are more progressive, but considering that they elected Ahmedinejad (whose views on Israel, among other things, were well known) overwhelmingly, they can't feel that differently on a majority of issues from his stated opinions.

Yessss, and a majority voted for Bush. But his support is dwindling right now. That's how you win any election. You have to have a majority. That does not imply everyone thinks that way or continues to think that way. It is dynamic with time. But if Bush wants to ignore Iran and not have serious talks with them when Iran wants to, then that support for Ahmedinejad will rise because then their population will say, "see look at the US, all they do is make threats and won't even talk with us." Why do you think Iranians want nuclear technology so badly? Because someone else tells them they are not good enough to have it? This goes back to what Astronuc said. "Iran does not need nuclear technology" Says who? The president says they do, and their country does. That's their prerogative.

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Does that mean other countries like yours only try to get something base of theirpresent needs? Hmm does that mean they need nuclear weapons for killing people and that's pretty vital for them? and why other countries have the right to use both nuclear and so;ar power at the same time but Iran doesn't?
I think most countries have policies based somewhat on perceived needs, whether economics/trade or security. After the US and Britain developed their nuclear weapons, Russia, France and China were not far behind. The latter developed nuclear weapons because the other guys had such weapons. The Israel (unofficially), India, Pakistan, N. Korea, have developed nuclear weapons. S. Africa had a program. With the exception of the two bombs used at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, nuclear weapons have not been used in war, but have been used defensively as a threat.

All nations, in theory have a right to develop nuclear energy, going back to the UN's Atoms for Peace program, and NPT.
See - http://www.iaea.org/About/index.html
http://www.thebulletin.org/article.php?art_ofn=nd03weiss

The practical problem concerns those nations like N. Korea and other states who have gone outside the bounds international agreements/policies to develop nuclear weapons. Then it is a matter of international security, which is the current issue with NK and Iran. If Iran, would recognize Israel's right to exist and stop support for groups like Hizbullah, then the issue of nuclear technology would be entirely different than it is now.

Lisa! said:
BTW, I have a question from you since you're a nuclear expert. what do you think of the future of a country withought uclear science (nuclear science) and technology? :smile:
Well, the demand for oil, gas and coal is increasing as China's and India's economies grow, and other developing nations will want similar development. Oil and gas are finite, and nuclear (also finite) is being considered or reconsidered by many nations. How soon oil and gas will be substantially depleted is a hot topic. Apparently the tar sands in Alberta are looking very attractive.

Nuclear is being touted as a solution to 'green house' gases. Current U-resources are limited, but could be extended with reprocessing and recycling of residual U-235 and Pu-239. Thorium could contribute to the energy reserves, and that involves breeding of U-233. It would seem there is a future for nuclear. Nuclear technology is a double-edged sword - it can be used peacefully, and it can be used in very destructive weapons. And then there is the waste issue.

However, I think renewable sources of energy, e.g. solar and wind, need to be developed as much as possible.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Are you suggesting that somewhere women want to be treated harshly? :confused: :rolleyes:
I'm suggesting that people can be brainwashed...and I know it's true. People from extremely conservative backgrounds often choose what to you or me would sound ridiculous. Christianity, Hinduism, Islam (and probably a host of other religions) are overtly male-dominated, yet women willingly participate. Why do Mormon women accept an unfair deal - because they are told that it is the right way, and one that will lead to favor in the afterlife? Why do followers of Opus Dei practice self-mutilation? There are millions of people that subject themselves willingly to what we might consider unfair treatment, stupidity or masochism. There are millions still who are waiting for the day they will be freed of such shackles.

Yessss, and a majority voted for Bush. But his support is dwindling right now. That's how you win any election. You have to have a majority. That does not imply everyone thinks that way or continues to think that way.
I never used the word 'everyone', so this argument must not be directed at me.

Journalist Anthony Shadid Discusses Lebanon
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5690023

Fresh Air from WHYY, August 22, 2006 · Anthony Shadid of The Washington Post has been reporting from Lebanon. Shadid won the Pulitzer Prize in 2004 for international reporting. His latest book, Night Draws Near: Iraq's People in the Shadow of America's War, has just come out in paperback. Shadid is of Lebanese descent and grew up in Oklahoma City, Okla.
Interesting perspective by Shadid who was in S. Lebanon during the conflict. Shadid makes a comment that he did not observe Hizbollah fighters amongst the civilian population. Well, he probably wasn't everywhere, but one must decide for oneself.

Gokul43201 said:
When he was elected, in 2000 and 2004, a narrow majority of the US electorate did agree with Bush on (more than half of the relevant issues at the time, or so I imagine. Bush won by a single state in 04' with a 2% margin on the popular vote.
Actually, Gore won a majority of the popular vote by a slim margin in the 2000 election, but not the electoral vote - that is what the Florida controversy was all about.

First we giveth and now we must taketh away.

In the 1980's We helped arm Iraq at the same time we were selling weapons to Iran.
But even before that we did this:

An irony in the international struggle to get Iran to stop enriching uranium is that the United States gave Iran its first reactor, the Chicago Tribune reports.
The dome-shaped Tehran Research Reactor was given to the country as part of a U.S. Cold War strategy to help the shah, who was also against the Soviet Union. Compounding the irony in today's stand-off is that the U.S. government also supplied Iran with 10 pounds of weapons-grade uranium needed to power the facility, and which is likely still there, the newspaper said.
http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20060824-090656-8012r.htm

Yonoz said:
Astronuc asked an identical question, and I answered it.
But you haven't explained how you got from the speculation in the article to your claim that it is "quite clear" Iran has nuclear missile program. Could you please quote whatever part of that article you think backs your claim?

kyleb said:
But you haven't explained how you got from the speculation in the article to your claim that it is "quite clear" Iran has nuclear missile program. Could you please quote whatever part of that article you think backs your claim?
In all fairness to Yonoz, it is well known that Iran has a ballistic missile program, and that such missile could carry an appropriately sized nuclear warhead. Since Iran does not yet have such a warhead, they do not yet have a nuclear missile, but they very likely have the plans.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/iran/missile/
http://www.janes.com/security/international_security/news/jdw/jdw041206_1_n.shtml
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/4144563.html
http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/39332.pdf#search=""Iran","Ballistic Missile""
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/31/world/main1460846.shtml
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-03-31-iranmissile_x.htm
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190696,00.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/27/iran.missile.reut/

I don't suppose I could get a bit of fairness for my question in the form of a direct answer. Do you see anything you can quote in the article Yonoz linked (or yours for that matter) that backs his claim?

kyleb said:
I don't suppose I could get a bit of fairness for my question in the form of a direct answer. Do you see anything you can quote in the article Yonoz linked (or yours for that matter) that backs his claim?
I thought his was the claim, and I quote:
Yonoz said:
Iran has purchased nuclear weapons-only technology from Pakistan.

But according to you:
kyleb said:
But you haven't explained how you got from the speculation in the article to your claim that it is "quite clear" Iran has nuclear missile program.

I no longer have any idea what claim you are you are talking about.

If you are talking about the "claim" I quoted above, I believe AQ Khan's own admission is sufficient support for it. If you require that the evidence be found only in a particular article (which I haven't read yet), you are nitpicking for no good reason. Maybe the wrong article was linked - so what?

I didn't read all the replies, so this may have been said before.

To me, it's a matter of simple logic: of COURSE they are trying to build a bomb. They would be complete and utter fools NOT to.

Come on, the commander in chief of the most powerful military on the planet calls your nation, alongside with Iraq (which has already been invaded) and North Korea, part of an axis of evil ... how would YOU react?

It's simple. We have the bomb, that means they must have it. It's the ultimate deterrent. Nobody in their right mind would invade a nation with the bomb, let alone one with a sociopathic leader.

Gokul43201 said:
I'm suggesting that people can be brainwashed...and I know it's true. People from extremely conservative backgrounds often choose what to you or me would sound ridiculous. Christianity, Hinduism, Islam (and probably a host of other religions) are overtly male-dominated, yet women willingly participate. Why do Mormon women accept an unfair deal - because they are told that it is the right way, and one that will lead to favor in the afterlife? Why do followers of Opus Dei practice self-mutilation? There are millions of people that subject themselves willingly to what we might consider unfair treatment, stupidity or masochism. There are millions still who are waiting for the day they will be freed of such shackles.

I never used the word 'everyone', so this argument must not be directed at me.

Ok, well, let's ask an expert, Lisa!. She is more qualified than anyone else here to tell us what women in Iran think about the situation. Chime in Lisa! :!) :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
I thought his was the claim, and I quote:

It was, and then Astronuc and I took issue with and Yonoz responded with:
Yonoz said:
I stand corrected, but it is nevertheless quite clear from the article that the technology was transferred in a deal to allow all 3 nations: Pakistan, Iran and North Korea to benefit from each other's advances to produce a nuclear balistic missile program. Obviously some will disagree but I think they would not be so happy about having a nuclear-capable Islamic fundamentalist neighbour whose leaders repeatedly describe the destruction of their state as a noble goal.
That is the claim I am inquiring about.
Gokul43201 said:
If you are talking about the "claim" I quoted above, I believe AQ Khan's own admission is sufficient support for it.
Like Yonoz already acknowledged, centrifuge technology is not weapons-only.

Gokul43201 said:
If you require that the evidence be found only in a particular article (which I haven't read yet), you are nitpicking for no good reason.
I'm not requiring anythng here, I'm just looking for what Yonoz told me I could find where he told me I could find it.

Gokul43201 said:
Maybe the wrong article was linked - so what?
So, I would like to see the right article if that is the problem. Why do you take issue with me for that?

kyleb said:
So, I would like to see the right article then, why do you take issue with me for that?
I do not. It seemed like you were specifically insisting upon seeing the evidence in that particular article. Did I not post a couple of articles where it mentioned AQ Khan's admission that he was involved in "nuclear weapons" technology transfer to Iran, Libya and DPRK?

But I see that your objection may be to the words "weapons-only". I can't say I know enough about the technical aspects to make a judgement based on a knowledge of the details of what exactly was transferred - and I don't have this knowledge - but perhaps, if the original text of the televised AQ Khan admission were found, that might answer this question.

Gokul43201 said:
I do not. It seemed like you were specifically insisting upon seeing the evidence in that particular article. Did I not post a couple of articles where it mentioned AQ Khan's admission that he was involved in "nuclear weapons" technology transfer to Iran, Libya and DPRK?

But I see that your objection may be to the words "weapons-only". I can't say I know enough about the technical aspects to make a judgement based on a knowledge of the details of what exactly was transferred - and I don't have this knowledge - but perhaps, if the original text of the televised AQ Khan admission were found, that might answer this question.
So then, do I underderstand correctly that you do not know of any evidence which demonstrates that Iran has been pursuing nuclear ballistic missile program or other weapons-only nuclear technology?

I think anyone that is so naive to believe that Iran has no plans for nuclear warheads needs to think again. Does anyone really think that once they have the capability, they won't use it?

"Iran already is equipped with the Shahab-3 missile, which means "shooting star" in Farsi, and is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. An upgraded version of the ballistic missile has a range of more than 1,200 miles and can reach Israel and U.S. forces in the Middle East."

Evo said:
I think anyone that is so naive to believe that Iran has no plans for nuclear warheads needs to think again. Does anyone really think that once they have the capability, they won't use it?

"Iran already is equipped with the Shahab-3 missile, which means "shooting star" in Farsi, and is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. An upgraded version of the ballistic missile has a range of more than 1,200 miles and can reach Israel and U.S. forces in the Middle East."

The president of Iran does appear to be a bit crazy, at least to westerners. But that does not mean that he is crazy enough to bring about his own incineration.

I remember seeing Nikita Khrushchev banging his shoe on a table at the United Nations in 1960. Americans thought the man to be totally insane.
He even made the comment "we will bury you".

Mutually assured destruction worked then and for the next 25 years.
Invading another middle eastern country is not a good option at this time.

Developing weapons that will shoot down anything that they can pop up is a much better strategy. It will be cheaper than an invasion and won't anger China, our primary supplier of consumer goods.

It is time to play the smart game here, not the "bring em on" game.
It certainly didn't help our intel about Iran and nuclear materials when the Bush administration outed Valery Plame. She was a part of that vital CIA project.

edward said:
The president of Iran does appear to be a bit crazy, at least to westerners. But that does not mean that he is crazy enough to bring about his own incineration.
You didn't know? He believes that we're in the end times. More specifically, he believes that the 12th Imam of Shia Islam will return from hiding, signaling the last day of Earth, or the day of judgment. He has openly stated that Iran should model its economic, cultural, and political policies for the Imam's return. The more he welcomes the appearance of the 12th Imam, obviously, the more he welcomes the end of days. It most definitely means he is crazy enough to bring about his own incineration.

lunarmansion said:
I wonder why the Iranians do not fight to change their lunatic regime that they do not like? I mean if the will of the people is strong against the regime, then the regime is going to have to change. But why are people so passive there? I do not understand.

I don't understand this either. When I look at the revolution in 1979, it just appears so random and chaotic. Why anyone would want an angry old man wearing a black-turban to be supreme leader of their country is beyond me. Not everyone did, of course. Everybody wanted different things. They had no Thomas Paine, no one to convince everybody that all forms of tyranny are wrong, even if it's the tyranny of a religious leader. Then again, maybe they could not be convinced.

I once heard an Iranian-American say that the most important thing about their culture is that they have to first make peace with their families, then make friends with their neighbors. This is very Asian and is not limited to Iran. The Chinese, for all their efforts, have not been able to overthrow their government. Japan probably has/had it to a greater extreme. The Japanese did not overthrow their dictators leading up to WWII. Iranians are apparently tribal enough that they will hate Americans more than their regime if we invade. Perhaps they're afraid of being ashamed and embarrassed at needing "outside" Western help, like the Iraqis are. Well, then their real problem is much bigger, and they should be even more ashamed and even more embarrassed.

I hope that after WWIII, when the UN is disbanded and we have a third chance to draft rules for a global governing body, it outlaws member nations from having theocracies and/or other totalitarian regimes. One of the main reasons the current UN does not function is because so many of its member governments are not legitimate.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
This is more fantasy... Why not give Israeli power to Iran?
It's not any more of a fantasy than Iran developing a purely peaceful nuclear program.

cyrusabdollahi said:
REALLLYYYY? That's not what Tsipi Livini, Foreign Minister of Israel, seems to have said.
Funny, to me it seems that's exactly what she said:
You`re right. From a military perspective, this could have been an easy operation. But we were responsible in a way and we decided not do it. And since the first day of the operation, we asked by the international community not to undermine the Lebanese government and we accepted.

So the operation became very complicated because it is very difficult to target Hezbollah members which are hiding within, among the civilian population in the south part of Lebanon, targeting Israel and there`s a difference because we were looking for -- our forces were looking for the Hezbollah among the civilian populations and to target only the terrorists while they were targeting Israeli civilian population centers in order to kill civilians.

So it is two different battles from two different sides. And it became -- it is more complicated goal for an army to fight against guerillas or terrorists and not against a state.

So the goal is, you asked me at the beginning what is the goal? The goal is to end a state with the border hoping that Lebanon will be a functioning state and not a state with weak government, with a terrorist organization like militias and maybe this is not only the future but this is also the role of the international community to pressure, to put the pressure on Lebanon to change.
Just one thing for you to consider - Tsipi Livni is another politician with her sights on the Prime Minister's position.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Sorry, don't be fooled into thinking precision weapons are a godsend. They don't work that well. This is more nonsense. Most guided bombs dont hit their intended targets.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

cyrusabdollahi said:
What, have we not explained to you enough times already that the US is willing not talking to Iran, Syria, or Palestine? I think it was explicit. You can read it for yourself online if you don't believe me. You have some bad information... Iran and the US has not had serious talks in 30 years. Is this your idea of "exhausted the diplomatic route!?" When Iran has openly stated it wants talks? Are you just posting whatever you feel like typing? (no disrespect Yonoz, but come on!)
http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=9356":
Europe: Here Iran, we'll give you as much nuclear power as you need.
Iran: No, we have a right to enrich our own Uranium.
This is what I would call "exhausting the diplomatic route".
The GWB administration keeps its hands clean, Europe and Russia get jobs, and Iran gets nuclear power. I don't see a better solution for everyone.

kyleb, let's start over: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#The_Israeli_stance":
Israel is concerned that Iran has developed missiles that are capable of carrying nuclear warheads between the two countries. This concern was intensified when Iran publicly paraded some of the missiles under anti-Israeli banners, such as "Death to Israel" and "Israel should be wiped off the map".
Reasons for Israeli concern can be summed up in 5 points:

1. Iran's President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and other Iranian leaders deny Israel's right to exist.
2. Iran develops its nuclear energy technology in clandestine facilities.
3. The distance from Iran to Israel is within the range of missile systems possessed by both countries.
4. Iran is alleged to maintain a close relationship with the Hezbollah organisation, which has attacked Israel in the past and today.
5. Israel has very few options to deter an Iranian nuclear attack, should Iran acquire such weapons.
6. Iran has pledged to attack Israel if it is attacked, regardless of which country attacked it.
I hope you see my point.

Although I *understand* your worries, this point is rather hypocritical

Since this is exactly what you did to obtain Nukes! :)

Anttech said:
Although I *understand* your worries, this point is rather hypocritical

Since this is exactly what you did to obtain Nukes! :)
Geez I guess Israel is no saint. Doesn't change much though.
BTW try to look at what the ME looked like when France gave Israel the reactor.
That's right, France. There seems to be a misconception that the US has always supported Israel. The relations between the two countries only reached their current status after the Yom-Kippur war.

Last edited:
Regardless of one's views about Israel, this is an undeniable case of a dangerous regime gaining nuclear capabilities while engaged in an active conflict with a nation it intends to destroy.
Every right minded person on this planet should be worried.

Yonoz said:
Geez I guess Israel is no saint. Doesn't change much though.
BTW try to look at what the ME looked like when France gave Israel the reactor.
That's right, France. There seems to be a misconception that the US has always supported Israel. The relations between the two countries only reached their current status after the Yom-Kippur war.

Yonzo, you better be careful or the Israel government will come a knocking on your door and lock you up. Since you didnt actually admit you had them I guess they will let you off :)

Anyway yes Iran with Nukes is perhaps not the best idea on the planet. But personally I am not worried, since I live far enough away for them to never be deployed here.

Anttech said:
But personally I am not worried, since I live far enough away for them to never be deployed here.
It's good to know someone cares for us.