What do you do with a problem like Ahmadinejad?

• News
  • Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary: Ahmadinejad is sincere about peaceful uses for enrichment, it's important that we open a dialog with him to try and clarify these uses. At the same time, we should be wary of what he says, as it's possible that he is planning to use these nuclear weapons in a hostile way. If Bush refuses to talk to Iran and Syria, I tend not to trust a word out of his mouth. He should resign or get impeached.
I'm referring to the land of the West Bank that I've been talking about being taken thought this thread. What has been taken by Israel up to April 2006 can be seen marked in shades of blue http://www.btselem.org/Download/Separation_Barrier_Map_Eng.pdf" that tracks news on the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kyleb said:
All you've got there is more unaccredited and out of context translations along with complete denial of what Iran has plainly stated needs to be done to be done for them to accept the existence of Israel.
Can you provide these plainly stated terms?

Kyleb, it is slightly naive to believe that the root cause of the conflict or the thorn that is actually perpetuating it is a few square miles of territory. If there is one clearly obvious lesson that must be drawn from the recent conflict in Lebanon and the nearly daily missiles fired from the Gaza strip, despite the complete and total withdrawal from these two areas, is that this conflict is not a question of territory. This is supported by what recent history has taught us and is amply corroborated by the explicit statements of the leaders of Hamas and Hezbollah. Netanyahu summed it up concisely when he said the conflict was one of terror, not of territory.

Yonoz said:
Can you provide these plainly stated terms?
We already talked about the example you provided when you linked https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1071211&postcount=265" directly:

Mr Khatami said Iran had a "moral problem with Israel because of the occupation" of Palestinian land.

"Occupation does not bring legitimacy," he said, adding that it was "very dangerous to occupy somewhere and then claim ownership of that land".

"At the same time, we do not interfere in the matters of others and we will respect the Palestinian people's decision," the Iranian president said.

"Any decision they make will be acceptable to us."

Curious6 said:
Kyleb, it is slightly naive to believe that the root cause of the conflict or the thorn that is actually perpetuating it is a few square miles of territory.
The naivety you are finding is in your misunderstanding of what I'm saying here. Please feel free to ask for elaboration, and of course reading or rereading the whole thread might help to clear up your confusion here as well.

I am not confused, kyleb. I was only pointing out that, in my opinion, the whole issue is not about whether or not there are settlements in the West Bank. If that were the root issue, why are there still rocket attacks emanating from the Gaza Strip, despite the complete withdrawal of settlers and troops? So, the whole withdrawal to pre-1967 borders doesn't make sense to me. Some people think a withdrawal to the so-called Green Line would represent a miraculous ending to the conflict. They believe frequent internal strife, violent confrontations, economic hardship, and all other various grievances afflicting the Palestinian territories would somehow abruptly come to an end. This is at best a naive attitude, and at worst, self-delusional. I believe that a focus on the issue of the disputed territories distracts attention from the deeper root cause of the Mideast conflict. It this cause that should be addressed clearly, and once it has been settled (if this is not too wishful thinking in itself) then the secondary, derived problems can start to be considered.

kyleb said:
And how, pray tell, does that explain

"what ... needs to be done to be done for [Iran] to accept the existence of Israel."

?

It explains the fact that Iran's acceptance of Israel is directly conditional to Palestine's. When Palestine acknowledges Israel's existence then Iran will be happy to do the same. I'm not sure what is so hard for you to grasp in that, but hopefully your government finally inteds to start working towards peace now that they claim again they are http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/08/AR2006090800509.html" .

kyleb said:
It explains the fact that Iran's acceptance of Israel is directly conditional to Palestine's. When Palestine acknowledges Israel's existence then Iran will be happy to do the same.

"what ... needs to be done to be done for [Iran] to accept the existence of Israel."

?

If you can't see it, let me paraphrase: your quote says:

"We'll accept you when the Palestinians do."

But it says absolutely nothing about what needs to be done for that to happen.

Last edited:
kyleb said:
All you've got there is more unaccredited and out of context translations along with complete denial of what Iran has plainly stated needs to be done to be done for them to accept the existence of Israel. What drives your persistence in that, is stealing the Palestinian peoples land that important to you or what?
:smile: "At the same time, we do not interfere in the matters of others and we will respect the Palestinian people's decision," the Iranian president said.

"Any decision they make will be acceptable to us." :smile: I guess so. :smile:

Right, and the only thing they'll accept is no Israel.

Israel has been running the Palestinians off their land since the nation's inception, of course the Palestinians aren't going to accept Israel as long as Israel acts as if it is acceptable to continue doing that. Are you laughing because you are not aware of what is going on, or do you really find humor in this? And if the latter, do you also find humor in the fact that our forefathers ran the Native American people off their land?

kyleb said:
do you really find humor in this?
It's the humor. I would have thought you were joking if you didn't look like you really believe this stuff.

Do you really not see how ridiculous "we do not interfere in the matters of others" is?

Furthermore, there is a common perception that the Palestinians simply will not accept the existence of Israel. So, from your statement, it would follow that Iran would never accept the existence of Israel either.

To paraphrase -- you're using a statement like "We'll accept Israel... when pigs fly!" as if it says what needs to happen for Iran to accept Israel. It would be (mildly) funny if it weren't for the fact you seem to believe it.

Again, the Palestinians aren't going to be accepting Israel as long as Israel keeps taking their land. How could you believe it would make any sense for them to do otherwise?

kyleb: since you keep evading it, I'm going to assume that you do not wish to defend
kyleb said:
what Iran has plainly stated needs to be done to be done for them to accept the existence of Israel.
and want to move on to what you're discussing now.

kyleb said:
Again, the Palestinians aren't going to be accepting Israel as long as Israel keeps taking their land. How could you believe it would make any sense for them to do otherwise?
Because it's a generally healthy thing to accept the consequences of one's actions.

But this is still just a red herring -- the important issue is not accepting Israel, but accepting Israel's right to exist. There's a whole world of difference between

(1) Rejecting Israel's right to exist.

and

(2) Accepting Israel's right to exist, yet opposing its actions.

You really want me to explain this to you?:
Hurkyl said:

?
If you can't see it, let me paraphrase: your quote says:

"We'll accept you when the Palestinians do."

But it says absolutely nothing about what needs to be done for that to happen.
I'm not trying to evade anything here, so if you really need me to explain how one parties support can be directly conditional to another party, I suppose I can go though a Sally, Jane and Dick to walk you though it. I took that as a rhetorical question motivated by your speculation that the Palestinians will never accept Israel though, so I figure it was natural to move on to discussing that issue. But you tell me, where are we at here?

kyleb said:
But you tell me, where are we at here?
You have painted a picture where, if someone asks Iran, "What does Israel need to do for you to accept their existence," Iran replies, "ask the Palestinians".

You call this as a plain statement of what Israel needs to do. I say that it bears no resemblance to what you call it.

Although what you have said is a plainly stated criterion for Iran accepting Israel's existence, it says absolutely nothing about what Israel needs to do.

I took that as a rhetorical question motivated by your speculation that the Palestinians will never accept Israel though
The above is the main point -- that even in the abstract you have not satisfied the challenge. This is just heaping more problems onto the pile.

Even if we could somehow be convinced that "when the Palestinians accept your existence" is plainly stated terms for Iran to accept Israel's existence1, we are currently in a situation where the Palestinian government don't just oppose Israeli actions, but as a matter of principle oppose Israel's existence.

Let me repeat that -- they oppose Israel's existence, and not simply Israel's actions or inactions. And that opposition is not due to any Israeli action or inaction, but is a fundamental tenet of their government.

So from that point of view, saying "when the Palestinians accept your existence" is rather daft in the current climate. (Which may or may not change in the future)

1: I just want to repeat the emphasis that this is the main point, and not what follows.

Here, let us try it like this:
Dick said he had a "moral problem with Jane because of the occupation" of Sally's land.

"Occupation does not bring legitimacy," he said, adding that it was "very dangerous to occupy somewhere and then claim ownership of that land".

"At the same time, we do not interfere in the matters of others and we will respect Sally's decision," Dick said.

"Any decision Sally makes will be acceptable me."
Now, can you explain what Jane has to do to earn Dick's acceptance?

kyleb said:
Now, can you explain what Jane has to do to earn Dick's acceptance?
No, I can't. Dick has not said how Jane can earn Dick's acceptance -- Dick has merely passed the buck onto Sally.

Dick can't pass what was never his to begin with, rather he is showing respect for the fact that it Sally's land which has been taken, and hence it is Sally's buck.

kyleb said:
Dick can't pass what was never his to begin with
(1) How can it be anybody but Dick's choice whether or not Dick accepts Jane's existence?

(2) Dick telling Jane "it's Sally's choice" is not a plain statement of what Jane needs to do for Dick to accept her.

Hurkyl said:
(1) How can it be anybody but Dick's choice whether or not Dick accepts Jane's existence?
Do you understand why as if I took your car from you, Evo would be in no position to tell me it is mine? Same reason here.
Hurkyl said:
(2) Dick telling Jane "it's Sally's choice" is not a plain statement of what Jane needs to do for Dick to accept her.
'Dick' has even offered to mediate the deal, that is as plain as it gets.

kyleb said:
Do you understand why as if I took your car from you, Evo would be in no position to tell me it is mine? Same reason here.
But that's not what we're talking about. If you took my car from you, Evo can still decide whether or not she thinks you have a right to live.

(And, of course, Evo can make up her own mind about whether she thinks you have a right to my car)

'Dick' has even offered to mediate the deal, that is as plain as it gets.
Offering to mediate a deal is not "a plain statement of what Jane needs to do for Dick to accept her."

Hurkyl said:
But that's not what we're talking about. If you took my car from you, Evo can still decide whether or not she thinks you have a right to live.
My right to live isn't in question though, but rather my right to exist in your car.
Hurkyl said:
(And, of course, Evo can make up her own mind about whether she thinks you have a right to my car)
Where exactly do you think Evo gets the authority to tell you that your car isn't yours?
Hurkyl said:
Offering to mediate a deal is not "a plain statement of what Jane needs to do for Dick to accept her."
Again, that is as plain as it gets.

kyleb said:
Israel has been running the Palestinians off their land since the nation's inception, of course the Palestinians aren't going to accept Israel as long as Israel acts as if it is acceptable to continue doing that. Are you laughing because you are not aware of what is going on, or do you really find humor in this? And if the latter, do you also find humor in the fact that our forefathers ran the Native American people off their land?
I think Evo was pointing out that Iran would not accept existence of Israel, because the Palestinians, or more accurately, some Palestinians do not accept Israel. A good many, perhaps a majority would/do accept Israel's right to exist, but a militant fraction (perhaps a minority) do not. There is no humor in the taking of other people's land. That is not what Evo found humorous.

Perhaps if militant Palestinian groups would stop attacking Israel, Israel would not be so inclined to take the land. From a standpoint of security, it makes sense for Israel to appropriate land from which attacks are launched. If I allowed a criminal to use my house as a haven, with full knowledge of the criminal activities, be they theft or assault or homicide, then the authorities would be within the right to appropriate my property and incarcerate me as an accessory.

As for Israelis "running the Palestinians off their land since the nation's inception", that was not initially the case as was pointed out. It was after the Arab nations attacked Israel, that Israel starting taking land. In some cases, the local Arabs simply left the land which was in the middle of military conflict, with the assumption that they would return once the Arabs defeated Israel. Well, of course, that didn't happen.

Meanwhile,

In Washington, Iran's Khatami Calls for Dialogue
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5786976
Morning Edition, September 8, 2006 · Former Iranian President Mohammed Khatami's is visiting the United States, appearing at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., on Thursday.

Khatami said the U.S. and Iran should try to resolve their long-standing differences through dialogue. He is the most prominent Iranian politician to visit the United States since 1979.

Returning with a Sense of Iran on the Rise
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5777007
All Things Considered, September 6, 2006 · Washington Post columnist David Ignatius says Iranians feel their nation's star is rising. Talk of a coming conflict with the U.S. is largely dismissed. Ignatius tells Robert Siegel about his recent trip to Iran.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5748333
Iranian Public Concerned About Economy, Not Nukes
Morning Edition, September 1, 2006 · While international attention is focused on Iran's nuclear activities, much of the Iranian public is asking what President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is doing to improve the economy. Some are worried that international sanctions tied to Iran's nuclear program could hold back the country's economy.

Renee Montagne talks to New York Times reporter Michael Slackman about political divisions within Iran.

A Conservative Perspective on U.S.-Iran Relations
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5736783
Fresh Air from WHYY, August 30, 2006 · Conservative thinker Michael Ledeen holds the Freedom Chair at the American Enterprise Institute, but prefers the term "democratic revolutionary" to "neoconservative." He discusses the current and future U.S. policy toward Iran, arguing that the United States should encourage change from within the country, rather than launching an all-out attack.

I am all for dialogue, but I have reservations based on the parties which would be involved at this point. I cannot see a productive dialog between the Bush administration and Ahmadinejad or the Iranian government or clerics. Someone pointed out to me that Bush and Ahmadinejad behave just like teenagers or school-yard bullies. Bush is adamant about US supremacy and the desire not to be challenged by any other country. Iran is determined to develop itself to stand up to the US, and perhaps even challenge the US in the Middle East and perhaps elsewhere. :rolleyes: Therein lies a recipe for conflict.

Why do nations select leaders like this? :rolleyes:

Astronuc said:
As for Israelis "running the Palestinians off their land since the nation's inception", that was not initially the case as was pointed out.
Running people off their land is how colonization happens. You can try rationalize it with 'Manifest Destiny' style arguments or such, but Zionists have been running the Palestinian people off from the moment the first one showed up in Palestine and have shown no intention of stopping. So were are you suggesting what was pointed out?

kyleb said:
Zionists have been running the Palestinian people off from the moment the first one showed up in Palestine and have shown no intention of stopping.
Since the Camp David Accords Israel has handed over to Arab nations more than its current total size. Israel's foreign policy proves Israel has no expansionist agenda. The Likkud party whose manifesto is that of Ze'ev Jabotinski that called for a state encompassing both banks of the Jordan river has carried out the biggest territorial concessions. There are a handful of Zionists that feel the redemption of land is more important than other Zionist principles, but most right-wingers correctly see further territorial concessions as a gamble on our home's security - and they do not like the odds.

Astronuc said:
Why do nations select leaders like this? :rolleyes:
Well in one case the nation didn't really have a choice and in the other I guess the nation's citizenry simply didn't care enough to show up at the voting booths.

kyleb said:
My right to live isn't in question though, but rather my right to exist in your car.
I thought you were supposed to be Israel? :confused: The whole problem, from the Israeli POV, is that Evo and her buddies deny your right to live.

Wikipedia said:
From the inception of the organization to the present the elimination of the state of Israel has been Hezbollah's primary goal.
Wikipedia said:
Hamas is opposed to the existence of Israel

Where exactly do you think Evo gets the authority to tell you that your car isn't yours?
Who said anything about authority? Evo is the only one who can make up Evo's mind whether she believes the car is mine, and if she does, whether she believes you're justified in confiscating it. (After all, I've been using it for decades of drive-by shootings of your home)

Whether Evo, or anyone else, has the 'authority' to take any sort of action upon the situation is a different question entirely.

Again, that is as plain as it gets.
While plain, it's not a statement of "what Jane needs to do for Dick to accept her."

Last edited:
Yonoz said:
Since the Camp David Accords Israel has handed over to Arab nations more than its current total size.
That does nothing to change the fact that http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/760251.html 'Zionist colonization must either stop, or else proceed regardless of the native population.' There is no two ways around it, to can't expect people to respect your nation's right to exist when it was built from and continues to be expanded by the taking of other people's land; not until you stop your nation from taking their land even have hope of peace. Unfortunately, in the name of Zionism and Middle East dominance, our leaders are actively trying to push us into this war with Iran. Surely expanding your boarders and and subjugating your neighbors isn't truly more important than peace to you?

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."

kyleb said:
Unfortunately, in the name of Zionism and Middle East dominance, our leaders are actively trying to push us into this war with Iran.
I thought they were doing it in the name of nonproliferation. :confused:

I know I listen to the media very little, but I'm sure that even I would have heard if Bush actually said "Let's go to Iran so that we can dominate the region".

Surely expanding your boarders and and subjugating your neighbors isn't truly more important than peace to you?
Surely you would prefer that the people shooting at you do it from "way over there", rather than "right nextdoor"?

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
I thought they were doing it in the name of nonproliferation. :confused:

I know I listen to the media very little, but I'm sure that even I would have heard if Bush actually said "Let's go to Iran so that we can dominate the region".
Surely you would prefer that the people shooting at you do it from "way over there", rather than "right nextdoor"?

Bush has never actually stated his intentions clearly before, or rather the reasons behind his action.

If the USA will not nonproliferated, but forces Iran to nonproliferate, it is because the USA wants to dominate Iran, and will not allow Iran to Dominate the USA. SURELY (pllleeeaaasseeeeeee) you see that? :rolleyes: