Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
Today is both Freeman Dyson, and a forum member's birthday.

Happy birthday!

Freeman Dyson
At the age of five he calculated the number of atoms in the sun.

ps. I'm not trying to tell you how to run your forum, but can someone please put the new hot tub scrubber to work on the "similar threads" algorithm.
"today" yields some, "TMI" type threads, IMHO...

pf.2014.12.15.0947.today.hmmm.jpg

Likes Lisa!, RonL and jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
Today is both Freeman Dyson, and a forum member's birthday.
Today I learned that Freeman Dyson went to the same school that I did (Winchester College), about 33 years before my time there. I should have guessed that anyway, because I knew his dad George had been Master of Music there sometime back then.

Likes Medicol and OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
"today" yields some, "TMI" type threads, IMHO...
That first one was actually rather fun. I miss sniping the Smurf, and having Artman as my partner in crime.

Today I learned that Greg Bernhardt wouldn't reply to me . (o______o)>

Likes Samia qureshi and RonL
Today I learned that the air filter in the old air-cooled VW Bugs was made of oil-impregnated shredded coconut husks.

Likes Danger
Today I learned (again). BSOD - When you absolutely, positively haven't backed up your work. :oldruck:

Today I learned if you have nothing nice to say, you'd rather stay quiet!:D

Likes RonL
Lisa! said:
Have you seen me post anything today? :oldwink:

So it may be false, that, nimi du nam.

Likes Danger, edward, RonL and 2 others
Lisa! said:
Thumper said:
If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all
Thumper's version with the double negative gives one more flexibility.

Likes edward and Lisa!
OmCheeto said:

Hope it has nothing to do with me or the comment about the dog :oldconfused::oldcry::headbang::olduhh::biggrin:

OmCheeto said:

If you meant "I don't know", that's right!:oldwink:

Lisa! said:
I often overlook Om's small print and often when I do read it I wonder what it means :D I have learned to copy, paste, and google, google, google:oldsurprised::oldtongue:

Lisa! said:
No!
It's supposed to mean; "I know nothing".
I guess it's my fault, as I broke one of my own rules:
1. No googling
2. Must be learned from a speaker of the language.​

This phrase, was relayed via a friend from his father.
The only phrases my friend knew, off the top of his head, were; "Aba ab dawd", and "Sho macha tori".

How do you say; "I am a failure". :headbang:

RonL said:
I often overlook Om's small print and often when I do read it I wonder what it means :D I have learned to copy, paste, and google, google, google:oldsurprised::oldtongue:
I purposely never post foreign phrases, such that they can be googled.
And always, a bit off, phonetically.
You can catch googling "fakers" much easier that way.

Likes RonL
OmCheeto said:
No!
It's supposed to mean; "I know nothing".
I guess it's my fault, as I broke one of my own rules:
1. No googling
2. Must be learned from a speaker of the language.​

This phrase, was relayed via a friend from his father.
The only phrases my friend knew, off the top of his head, were; "Aba ab dawd", and "Sho macha tori".

How do you say; "I am a failure". :headbang:
Sometimes it means "I know nothing about that subject", so I guess that was correct!

"I am a failure."= "Man yek bazande am"

Likes OmCheeto
Lisa!, I just now for the first time saw your avatar with my reading glasses on. Until now, I always thought that it was ET playing a piano. :redface:

Likes Lisa! and RonL
Today I leaned that I should quite playing games with PC because I completely lose track of time!

Danger said:
Lisa!, I just now for the first time saw your avatar with my reading glasses on. Until now, I always thought that it was ET playing a piano. :redface:

Oh! You don't know me at all.;)

Lisa! said:
Oh! You don't know me at all.
Not for lack of trying... :biggrin:

Likes Lisa!
Today I learned that the Amtrak electric trains run on 25 Hz electricity. Plus a bunch of history on the different line frequencies used now & in the past.

Today I learned that humans in the (electric) train are not getting electrocute.

I'm a little late, but yesterday I learned why factoring works to help you find the zeroes of an equation.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I learned that my current TA job pays me lower than it does to the same people. Unfair play! I will probably quit after New Year :D

Likes Medicol
Today I learned that average hair grows half an inch per month.
So that means if I shave my head, hopefully it will grow back very soon:approve:

Lisa! said:
So that means if I shave my head, hopefully it will grow back very soon:approve:

Funny - I looked up exactly the same thing yesterday. But if your head has to grow back after shaving it, I don't think you're doing it right.

Likes Silicon Waffle, OmCheeto, RonL and 2 others
Today I learned that if exactly 4 people like a post, the 4th person is displayed as "https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/4949711/likes".

As if "1 other person" took up less space than "Lisa!".

upload_2014-12-18_22-56-18.png

Likes edward, nsaspook, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
I learned that if I accidentally take some frozen food out before turning the oven on, and the food is not supposed to be defrosted beforehand, it's okay. I don't have to put it away, the food will still be quite frozen by the time the oven heats up.

I also learned if you have a cardboard box you're trying to shut, one of those ones like pie box that the lid folds down and the sides of the top half have to fit in under the sides of the bottom half. Well I was having trouble shutting it and I noticed it was getting stuck on the contents of the box. So I shut the box one side at a time, each time tilting box away from that side so the contents shifted away. So I learned how to close this box. Actually that was yesterday.

DrGreg said:
Today I learned that if exactly 4 people like a post, the 4th person is displayed as "https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/4949711/likes".

As if "1 other person" took up less space than "Lisa!".

Opps I just bumped Lisa into that 1 other person category.

Last edited:
Today I learned that things don't go well if I try to use the pooper scooper right after it quits raining.

Silicon Waffle said:
I learned that my current TA job
what's a TA job ?

edward said:
Today I learned that things don't go well if I try to use the pooper scooper right after it quits raining.
I have an indoor potty to eliminate that worry :D

Likes lisab, edward and davenn
Lisa! said:
Shaved heads look clean.
I learned that we shouldn't shave our pubic hair because our skin around our genitals may lose its membrane which is good for warts or bacterial infections. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22362688

Likes Medicol and Lisa!
davenn said:
what's a TA job ?
technical assistant. :)

Likes Medicol
ahhh thankyou ... OK so that begs the Q ... what sort of technical ?

davenn said:
ahhh thankyou ... OK so that begs the Q ... what sort of technical ?
IT technical, I am working on a project that utilizes CAD tools to help end users interact with construction sites'technical detailed designs via web interface.

Likes edward, Medicol and davenn
today I learned that the boss wasn't going to let me have Monday and Tuesday off next week
when pretty much everyone else in the company is

He seems to be under the misguided impression that I can get lots of work done without technical and logistics( stock to repair things) backup :(