The midnight ride of Sarah Palin.

• News
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, Michele Bachmann made an embarrassing flub in NH when she said the very first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in that great state. She later took to her Facebook page to defend the flub.
Soooo-eee!

Physics news on Phys.org
WhoWee said:
It took a while - but anything for you Lisa.:smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3304783&highlight=chicago+law#post3304783

The original conversation began when someone claimed he earned a doctorate - this claim is toned down a bit - IMO.
What a bunch of misdirection! Obama is a scholar of constitutional law and served as a professor. That is all true. If you would like to refute it, start a new thread and make your point. If you want to defend Palin's ignorance, that's fine, too, but it's not pretty.

mege said:
On President Obama as a 'constitutional scholar' - I would be really interested in his papers while he was at Columbia and Harvard. Too bad they're all locked away. Also, he was a part time faculty instructor, not a Professor.
Conspiracy theories are not a great way to make your arguments, even on political issues. Queue Donald Trump saying that the investigators that he sent to Hawaii found some shocking things about Obama...

turbo-1 said:
What a bunch of misdirection! Obama is a scholar of constitutional law and served as a professor. That is all true. If you would like to refute it, start a new thread and make your point. If you want to defend Palin's ignorance, that's fine, too, but it's not pretty.

It can just as easily be phrased that President Obama was a part time lecturer and Governor Palin has administrative experience in a variety of public offices. I noticed you've dropped the "strong grasp of history" component of your argument.

WhoWee said:
It can just as easily be phrased that President Obama was a part time lecturer and Governor Palin has administrative experience in a variety of public offices. I noticed you've dropped the "strong grasp of history" component of your argument.
I didn't drop the "strong grasp of history". Why should you even claim that? It should be readily apparent that Obama's status at Harvard implied a pretty solid grasp of history and of our laws. If you want to make claims that attempt to de-legitimize Obama's presidency, it would be best if you started a new thread for that purpose, IMO.

turbo-1 said:
I didn't drop the "strong grasp of history". Why should you even claim that? It should be readily apparent that Obama's status at Harvard implied a pretty solid grasp of history and of our laws. If you want to make claims that attempt to de-legitimize Obama's presidency, it would be best if you started a new thread for that purpose, IMO.

Isn't "a pretty solid grasp of history" a little different than "strong grasp of history"?

It seems to me Palin's comments in NH are now old news.

WhoWee said:
Isn't "a pretty solid grasp of history" a little different than "strong grasp of history"?

It seems to me Palin's comments in NH are now old news.
Bachmann's comments in NH about being the state where the first shots of the Revolutionary war were fired might be old news. Palin's misguided statements about Revere might be old news, too, if not for right-wing supporters making excuses for her ignorance. :-p

If you think Obama has no grasp of American history, or is ignorant of constitutional law, please start a new thread instead of sniping.

WhoWee said:

Depends on what curve you're grading on. :smile:

Among politicians, Obama has "a strong grasp of history". It doesn't take "a pretty solid grasp" to reach that level, though. (http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.aspx?ID=543729 )

Signifant insight of this article:

But voters might just as easily ask: Even if the founders didn't say those things, would they have agreed with them?

Possibly a more insightful question would be:

Weren't the founders just politicians of their day and as susceptible to spouting nonsense as today's politicians?

It does seem that all of the founding fathers couldn't be inspired by divine truth when there were some radically different views among the founding fathers (Hamilton vs Jefferson, for example). For any view you want support for, it seems to me you could probably find a quote from one founding father or another to support it without resorting to misquotes.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
Weren't the founders just politicians of their day and as susceptible to spouting nonsense as today's politicians?

This seems like a good opportunity to show off the web page Time has devoted to Joe Biden:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1895156,00.html

Al68 said:
You mean she should lie and pretend that she was wrong? Even NPR now is acknowledging, after a little research, that http://www.npr.org/2011/06/06/137011636/how-accurate-were-palins-comments-on-paul-revere"

It looks like people would check their facts before calling someone an idiot for knowing something they didn't. :rolleyes::smile::smile::smile:
A firm grasp of history is not the same thing as clutching at straws.
your own link said:
But he, personally, is not getting off his horse and going to ring bells.
Sarah Palin said:
(Paul Revere is) He who warned the British that they weren’t going to be taking away our arms. By ringing those bells and making sure as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free.

Who was Einstein?
He was an orchestra conductor.
No he wasn't, he was a physicist, the discoverer of the theory of relativity.
No, he really was an orchestra conductor, he played the violin.
That's not the same thing.
But he didn't play all by himself, there were others too, so there must have been a conductor.
He played in a quartet.
See, I was right.

WhoWee said:
This seems like a good opportunity to show off the web page Time has devoted to Joe Biden:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1895156,00.html

But can he actually rank #1 on the dumbest quotes list?

Just a sampling of dumb comments by politicians in 2010:

''I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things.''
—Ohio GOP House candidate and Tea Party favorite Rich Iott, explaining why for years he donned a German Waffen SS uniform and participated in Nazi re-enactments as part of a group that calls itself Wiking (Atlantic interview, Oct. 2010)

''These are beautiful properties with basketball courts, bathroom facilities, toilet facilities. Many young people would love to get the hell out of cities.''
—Carl Paladino, New York State Tea Party-backed candidate for Governor, describing his idea to transform prisons into dorms for welfare recipients, Aug. 2010

''I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism. And I have a communications degree.''
—Sarah Palin, Fox News interview with Sean Hannity, Nov. 22, 2010

''The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries.''
—President Obama, Tampa, Fla., Jan. 28, 2010

''His mom lived in Long Island for ten years or so. God rest her soul. And- although, she's- wait- your mom's still- your mom's still alive. Your dad passed. God bless her soul.''
—Joe Biden, on the mother of Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen, who is very much alive, Washington, D.C., March 17, 2010

''Why would you want to put people in charge of government who just don't want to do it? I mean, you wouldn't expect to see al Qaeda members as pilots.''
—Rep. Alan Grayson (D-FL), on the prospects of Republicans taking back control of Congress, May 21, 2010

''We had no domestic attacks under Bush; we've had one under Obama.''
—Rudy Giuliani, Mr. 9/11, forgetting 9/11, Jan. 8, 2010

BobG said:
Imagine what would have happened if Hitler were allowed to choose our health care plan!
lol. I'm not a big Santorum fan, but it seems pretty obvious that he meant that they were protecting U.S. individual liberty from authoritarianism in the general sense, using health care as an example.
Actually, I think one could truthfully say Hitler's "health care" plans for selected groups were appalling enough to be worth storming beaches, but that's still a gross misrepresentation of the Normandy invasion.
The only misrepresentation here is yours about Santorum's comments. He clearly was not saying anything like that.

You would think Palin would go out of her way to have garnered a good knowledge of American history, above and beyond what most people even knowledgeable about the basics of it have. I mean it shouldn't be that hard. Get some big, fat books by respected scholars on American history and spend time reading through them. Read a book on each of the founders (Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton, etc...), maybe a book on the Constitution's history, and then to double-check your knowledge, study the Cliff's Notes of American history so you know all the big stuff off of the top of your head.

Palin in particular one would think would make sure to do this because she knows that if she decides to start talking about American history, one slipup and she will get hammered.

CAC1001 said:
You would think Palin would go out of her way to have garnered a good knowledge of American history, above and beyond what most people even knowledgeable about the basics of it have.
Sounds like a bad plan to me. After all, look how much good it did her to know something about Paul Revere that most people didn't. She would have been better off knowing absolutely nothing more than the basic "The British are coming" quote everyone knows.

Most of Biden's slips are more political faux pas or screwups.

This is not the same as implying that one has foreign policy experience because Russia can be seen from some points in Alaska.

I saw a reference to my statement about Obama having a Ph.D. Yes, a doctor of law is a JD, not a doctor of philosophy. My mistake.

Ivan Seeking said:
I saw a reference to my statement about Obama having a Ph.D. Yes, a doctor of law is a JD, not a doctor of philosophy. My mistake.
You know admitting a mistake is a good way to ruin your reputation around here, Ivan. :biggrin:

Al68 said:
You know admitting a mistake is a good way to ruin your reputation around here, Ivan. :biggrin:

Definitely not a mistake that I should have made. If I could climb a tall enough tree, I could see Harvard from my farm.

Al68 said:
Sounds like a bad plan to me. After all, look how much good it did her to know something about Paul Revere that most people didn't. She would have been better off knowing absolutely nothing more than the basic "The British are coming" quote everyone knows.
But what she thinks she knew was wrong.

The colonists at the time of Revere's ride were British subjects, with American independence still in the future. But Revere's own writing and other historical accounts leave little doubt that secrecy was vital to his mission.

The Paul Revere House's website says that on April 18, 1775, Dr. Joseph Warren, a patriot leader in the Boston area, instructed Revere to ride to Lexington, Mass., to warn Samuel Adams and John Hancock that British troops were marching to arrest them.

In an undated letter posted by the Massachusetts Historical Society, Revere later wrote of the need to keep his activities secret and his suspicion that a member of his tight circle of planners had become a British informant. According to the letter, believed to have been written around 1798, Revere did provide some details of the plan to the soldiers that night, but after he had notified other colonists and under questioning by the Redcoats.

Intercepted and surrounded by British soldiers on his way from Lexington to Concord, Revere revealed "there would be five hundred Americans there in a short time, for I had alarmed the country all the way up," he wrote.

Revere was probably bluffing the soldiers about the size of any advancing militia, since he had no way of knowing, according to Joel J. Miller, author of "The Revolutionary Paul Revere." And while he made bells, Revere would never have rung any on that famous night because the Redcoats were under orders to round up people just like him.

"He was riding off as quickly and as quietly as possible," Miller said. "Paul Revere did not want the Redcoats to know of his mission at all."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110605/ap_on_el_ge/us_palin

I love it. A spokesperson for Palin, just now on tv news said that the e-mails of Palin contains tons of e-mails that are personal and have nothing to do with government business, therefor they have not been released.

Uhm excuse me? Tons of e-mails by Palin on government computers are personal and have nothing to do with government business? I think we do need to see those.

Evo said:
But what she thinks she knew was wrong.
Not according to any evidence presented in this thread, including what you just provided. This thread is bizarre.

Ivan Seeking said:
Most of Biden's slips are more political faux pas or screwups.

Biden's major historical mistake from what I remember was when he said during the 1929 crash, FDR got on the television to calm Americans down (when Hoover was President then and there was no TV yet). The two differences I think though were:

1) Biden has a long reputation of foot-in-mouth syndrome, so many people were like, "YEAH, but that's Biden, no surprise there."

2) Biden wasn't going around America on a bus celebrating America's history

Al68 said:
Not according to any evidence presented in this thread, including what you just provided. This thread is bizarre.
You haven't seen her video? She's a loon. Do you need me to post it for you?

Evo said:
I love it. A spokesperson for Palin, just now on tv news said that the e-mails of Palin contains tons of e-mails that are personal and have nothing to do with government business, therefor they have not been released.

Uhm excuse me? Tons of e-mails by Palin on government computers are personal and have nothing to do with government business? I think we do need to see those.

I don't know, should we? I mean I doubt it is illegal to talk some personal stuff with say your husband while using the government computer in your office as a government employee, no?

Al68 said:

If Palin is correct, then more power to her, but my major point is she needs to make sure to be especially clear when talking about such issues or she will get hammered, rightly or wrongly. If she said the right thing, but said it in a manner so that many people think it was wrong, then she wasn't being clear.

CAC1001 said:
I don't know, should we? I mean I doubt it is illegal to talk some personal stuff with say your husband while using the government computer in your office as a government employee, no?
Yes, actually, it is.

CAC1001 said:
If Palin is correct, then more power to her, but my major point is she needs to make sure to be especially clear when talking about such issues or she will get hammered, rightly or wrongly. If she said the right thing, but said it in a manner so that many people think it was wrong, then she wasn't being clear.
She was wrong.

Palin had this to say.

He who warned the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and, um, making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that, uh, we were going to be secure and we were going to be free.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110603/od_yblog_upshot/palin-flubs-explanation-of-paul-reveres-ride

People have been vandalizing wikipedia to change the story to match Palin's.

Evo said:
You haven't seen her video? She's a loon. Do you need me to post it for you?
I was referring to whether or not her statements about Revere were true, not whether or not she is a "loon".

Al68 said:
I was referring to whether or not her statements about Revere were true, not whether or not she is a "loon".
Well, as you can see her statements about Revere were wrong.

Evo said:
People have been vandalizing wikipedia to change the story to match Palin's.
I suppose they vandalized http://www.npr.org/2011/06/06/137011636/how-accurate-were-palins-comments-on-paul-revere", too? As well as many other sources about Revere?

BTW, Wikipedia locked its http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Revere" , so that it only shows verified info about Revere, including essentially what Palin said.

What I see is plenty of people claiming Palin was wrong, with experts and legitimate sources confirming she was essentially right. Yep, pretty bizarre thread.

Evo said:
And we know he's not a Palin supporter? He doesn't really agree, does he? You saw the historically accurate account I posted.
Yes, but it's not like the account you posted was a complete history. You are aware that two stories can be different from each other and both be correct?

I must be missing something here. It's not like the account told by Palin was invented by her. Are all the sources wrong about Revere warning the British when he was captured?

I'm not a Paul Revere expert, but something very bizarre is going on here. Didn't the head of the Paul Revere society claim that Palin got it right by accident? What does that mean? That she just made up a story out of thin air that happened to be right by complete coincidence?

Al68 said:
Yes, but it's not like the account you posted was a complete history. You are aware that two stories can be different from each other and both be correct?

I must be missing something here. It's not like the account told by Palin was invented by her. Are all the sources wrong about Revere warning the British when he was captured?

I'm not a Paul Revere expert, but something very bizarre is going on here. Didn't the head of the Paul Revere society claim that Palin got it right by accident? What does that mean? That she just made up a story out of thin air that happened to be right by complete coincidence?
The only thing Palin got right is that one of the riders was Paul Revere, but she apparently didn't know he was one of many. I don't know where you're getting of all these inaccuracies from. If you like NPR, here's supposedly the real and accurate event of that night. NPR claims that Revere asked a local pastor to light a lantern in the church steeple.

http://www.oldnorth.com/history/april18.htm

Evo said:
The only thing Palin got right is that one of the riders was Paul Revere, but she apparently didn't know he was one of many.
Is that a complete fabrication on your part, or is there some source to suggest that?
Evo said:
If you like NPR, here's supposedly the real and accurate event of that night. NPR claims that Revere asked a local pastor to light a lantern in the church steeple
Still bizarre that you think not being part of a particular accurate account makes something inaccurate, especially an account that does not even include Revere's interaction with his British captors. Was the Boston Tea Party a complete fabrication because it's not mentioned in the article you linked? You must know that's faulty logic.

Is the http://bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1343353" by Revere himself is a hoax?

This thread has to be near the top of the "Most Bizarre Threads of all Time" list.

Al68 said:
Is that a complete fabrication on your part, or is there some source to suggest that?Still bizarre that you think not being part of a particular accurate account makes something inaccurate, especially an account that does not even include Revere's interaction with his British captors. I know you know that's not valid logic.

Is the http://bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1343353" by Revere himself is a hoax?
LOL, did you read any of that? Please point out the matches between Palin's babble and this.

POINT them out, side by side, match each thing Palin claims and the historical match quoting the same. (I'll give you a hint, there are no matches.)

Palin: He who warned the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells

Palin: and, um, making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells

I'll be waiting. :rolleyes:

In case you don't know what she said, this is it.

He who warned the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and, um, making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that, uh, we were going to be secure and we were going to be free.
You've seen the video, right?

WDPRD?

revere.paul.aka.De.Revoire.jpg

portrait by John Singleton Copley

Born January 1st, 1735, Boston Massachusetts.
April 18th, 1775, Rode horseback warning that the British were coming.
April 19th, 1775, the minutemen started the American War of Independence on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexington_Battle_Green" .
Died May 10th, 1818, Boston Massachusetts.

Reference: Encyclopædia Britannica hardcopy. © 1990 (before the internet could mess with history.)