The midnight ride of Sarah Palin.

• News
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, Michele Bachmann made an embarrassing flub in NH when she said the very first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in that great state. She later took to her Facebook page to defend the flub.
WhoWee said:
regardless of what she says (IMO) the people who like her will continue to like her and the people who don't - won't.

...and this is why we can't have nice things.

Physics news on Phys.org
WhoWee said:
Like I said - it drives them crazy - IMO.:smile:

Actually it's more of an embarrassment. Not sure if you're aware, but she gets a *lot* of coverage in the foreign press. Egads, just what we need to add to the caricature of Americans so much of the world already believes !

lisab said:
Actually it's more of an embarrassment. Not sure if you're aware, but she gets a *lot* of coverage in the foreign press. Egads, just what we need to add to the caricature of Americans so much of the world already believes !

Let's be honest - the foreign press dislikes her because she is unapologetic of American leadership for the past 100 years - and would like it to continue (IMO).

People say stupid things all the time, what she is wrong about is harmless fluff. It's not like she's basing a policy decision on the history of the specifics of the Revolutionary War (see then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi expounding on the 500 million Americans that will lose their jobs because of not passing the stimulus). That mistake barely got any attention and it was made on the house floor!

Point being - everyone makes mistakes, why do we focus on fluff-mistakes for entertainment in the first place? Also, why is it worse for a conservative to make a mistake than a liberal? Can you imagine what would have happened in the media if President Bush signed the http://www.theblaze.com/stories/obama-signs-westminster-abbey-guest-book-using-2008-date/ ?

The media focus and hypocrasy that glows around stories like the Palin-Revere misspeak is upsetting.

Last edited by a moderator:
mege said:
People say stupid things all the time, what she is wrong about is harmless fluff. It's not like she's basing a policy decision on the history of the specifics of the Revolutionary War (see then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi expounding on the 500 million Americans that will lose their jobs because of not passing the stimulus). That mistake barely got any attention and it was made on the house floor!

Point being - everyone makes mistakes, why do we focus on fluff-mistakes for entertainment in the first place? Also, why is it worse for a conservative to make a mistake than a liberal? Can you imagine what would have happened in the media if President Bush signed the http://www.theblaze.com/stories/obama-signs-westminster-abbey-guest-book-using-2008-date/ ?

The media focus and hypocrasy that glows around stories like the Palin-Revere misspeak is upsetting.

There you go again. Pointing out the obvious and making sense and stuff. :)

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think that would have helped. If you remember the whole North Korea/South Korea thing, she corrected herself immediately (as in the next sentence) afterwards - but that correction never seemed to be mentioned, and when the audio was circulated, it was cut right before the correction.

You're misrepresenting the situation. It was Glenn Beck who corrected Palin, not Palin herself, and that was after she made the same mistake two times. See here:

I'm willing to pass this off as a brain fart, but that doesn't change the fact that she made a stupid mistake and didn't correct herself.

Point being - everyone makes mistakes, why do we focus on fluff-mistakes for entertainment in the first place?

Some mistakes are simply interesting slips of the tongue, and don't necessarily imply anything about the intelligence of the speaker. Others, like Palin's comments about the Midnight Ride, show a serious lack of understanding that's very worrying for somebody running for president.

Also, why is it worse for a conservative to make a mistake than a liberal? Can you imagine what would have happened in the media if President Bush signed the royal guest book with the wrong year?

That's hardly a fair comparison because Bush is widely considered one of the worst presidents of all time. Regardless, if Bush had signed using the wrong year, I would consider it evidence that he's not a perfect robot, not evidence that he's unfit to be president. I've often put the current year as my birthdate, so it's not a difficult mistake to make.

ideasrule said:
Some mistakes are simply interesting slips of the tongue, and don't necessarily imply anything about the intelligence of the speaker. Others, like Palin's comments about the Midnight Ride, show a serious lack of understanding that's very worrying for somebody running for president.

There is no defense for Palin's many idiotic comments.

She isn't running for President. And even if she did, she has no chance of getting elected. Her chance has already come and gone, thank goodness!

Ivan Seeking said:
There is no defense for Palin's many idiotic comments.

She isn't running for President. And even if she did, she has no chance of getting elected. Her chance has already come and gone, thank goodness!

I'm not so sure. Obama got elected.

drankin said:
I'm not so sure. Obama got elected.
Are you equating Obama's election with the idiocy of Sarah Palin? He's a Constitutional scholar and professor with a strong grasp of history. Palin's only claim to fame is that McCain was ignorant enough to take her on as a running-mate.

If McCain had chosen Bill Cohen or maybe Colin Powell, he would be president of the US today, IMO. Hillary Clinton had a lot of baggage and Obama was largely unknown, so I think McCain would have been a shoo-in if he had a running mate that had a track record or a public record and more than a couple firing brain-cells.

Instead, McCain picked a self-absorbed clothes-horse who self-destructed when Katy Couric asked softball questions, like what periodicals do you read. That was really sad.

People do make mistakes all the time. The more you say, the more mistakes you make. And if you are in the public eye, your mistakes get amplified. It is surprising to me that Palin would miss on a lay-up question like who is Paul Revere, but taken in isolation that mistake wouldn't sway my opinion of her. The problem is that she defended the mistake because of a technicallity. This was a disservice to herself and more importantly to the children of the country. Teachers have enough trouble as it is, they don't need this extra headache. I would suggest to Sarah that she make a video for use in schools and explain who Paul Revere was. No apologies, no mention of the mistake, just a little history video. She would gain points for free with that one.

Jimmy Snyder said:
People do make mistakes all the time. The more you say, the more mistakes you make. And if you are in the public eye, your mistakes get amplified. It is surprising to me that Palin would miss on a lay-up question like who is Paul Revere, but taken in isolation that mistake wouldn't sway my opinion of her. The problem is that she defended the mistake because of a technicallity. This was a disservice to herself and more importantly to the children of the country. Teachers have enough trouble as it is, they don't need this extra headache. I would suggest to Sarah that she make a video for use in schools and explain who Paul Revere was. No apologies, no mention of the mistake, just a little history video. She would gain points for free with that one.

The children of the country? If they're getting history lessons from any politician or public figure, then we're in trouble. SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy is funny because it's true.

I think Palin defending her mistake was more offensive towards the media than actually trying to defend herself. She could say that the sky was blue and there'd still be a major story "SARAH PALIN SAYS CLOUDS DON'T EXIST" so she can't win either way. While I know she's not a valid Presidential candidate (she's already in too deep of a media-hole), I think she has done a lot of good for the Republican party. There are a lot of conservative young women that do use her openness as a model, and do learn from her mistakes. Palin has put a relatively youthful family face, warts and all, on politics. While it's hard for die-hard collectivists to see these as positives: Palin is honest and very straight-forward, isn't that really what we want in our politicians when it comes down to it? Whenever I ask my Democrat friends what it is about Palin that incites them so much all I get back is grumbling "omg, how can you like her at all?" as if anything Palin is ad hoc negative without any real reasons (maybe a "she's so dumb" thrown in there).

As an aside: I still don't think we've seen the Republican Presidental nominee make headlines yet. The VP Candidate may be someone in the spotlight now, but in the 24/7 news coverage this is just too much time for the eggs to fly. Did you even know who President Obama was before April 2008 or so?

turbo-1 said:
Are you equating Obama's election with the idiocy of Sarah Palin? He's a Constitutional scholar and professor with a strong grasp of history. Palin's only claim to fame is that McCain was ignorant enough to take her on as a running-mate.

If McCain had chosen Bill Cohen or maybe Colin Powell, he would be president of the US today, IMO. Hillary Clinton had a lot of baggage and Obama was largely unknown, so I think McCain would have been a shoo-in if he had a running mate that had a track record or a public record and more than a couple firing brain-cells.

Instead, McCain picked a self-absorbed clothes-horse who self-destructed when Katy Couric asked softball questions, like what periodicals do you read. That was really sad.

Claiming Sarah Palin is inexperienced in government has no warrant. She was one of the most well liked governors in the country and has been in public service for almost 20 years now, executive positions for most of that. President Obama only got elected to the federal Senate because Jack Ryan (by most accounts a huge favorite) pulled out - Obama was really just a body on the ballot until Ryan withdrew months before the election. Palin's book Going Rogue actually has a good explanation about her Vice Presidental selection. I highly suggest reading it, esspecially if you feel the need to make ad hominem attacks against her.

On President Obama as a 'constitutional scholar' - I would be really interested in his papers while he was at Columbia and Harvard. Too bad they're all locked away. Also, he was a part time faculty instructor, not a Professor.

ideasrule said:

I don't think anyone seriously puts her in contention for the Presidency except for MSNBC, only so they can keep on pounding the negative portrayal of her. In conservative circles, she's respected a bit, but people understand she's too much of a lightning rod.

ideasrule said:
That's hardly a fair comparison because Bush is widely considered one of the worst presidents of all time. Regardless, if Bush had signed using the wrong year, I would consider it evidence that he's not a perfect robot, not evidence that he's unfit to be president. I've often put the current year as my birthdate, so it's not a difficult mistake to make.

Why isn't the comparison fair? They're both Presidents and calling President Bush one of the worst is highly ambiguous. Very few Presidents leave office with high approval ratings. Heck, President Bush even got re-elected (with a popular majority, even)! Also, if he's so bad - why does President Obama keep on extending his policies like Tax Cuts, NCLB, etc?

But the point still is - why would the media treat them differently about the same thing? (to the original discussion in the thread) There are lots of gaffes by President Obama and other leftist politicians that get overlooked by the media. This Palin 'story' is just an example of twisting a knife for fun.

Mege, you bring up that wrong year thing a lot, as if it matters at all. No one would ever make more than half a joke if Bush pronounced a name wrong, and no one would ever make more than half a joke if Obama wrote the wrong year. Because we're actual people, we realize that these mistakes don't reflect on what kind of people they are. But if Bush, Obama, Palin, or anybody else said anything as dumb as what Palin's been saying, we know why. She didn't make a mistake, she didn't get hit by a 'gotcha' question ("What have you seen so far today, and what are you going to take away from your visit?"). She's just an idiot trying to convince us she's not an idiot.

She could say that the sky was blue and there'd still be a major story "SARAH PALIN SAYS CLOUDS DON'T EXIST" so she can't win either way.
That...Sure that would happen, you go ahead and think that.

mege said:
The children of the country? If they're getting history lessons from any politician or public figure, then we're in trouble.
Unfortunately, it has percolated. So that while Palin is the ultimate source of the misinformation, the kids may not necessarily hear it directly from her. There are people now determined to rewrite history. That is not Palin's fault, but is a fact that simply cannot be ignored. I don't see any downside to her making a video and setting the record straight.

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Unfortunately, it has percolated. So that while Palin is the ultimate source of the misinformation, the kids may not necessarily hear it directly from her. There are people now determined to rewrite history. That is not Palin's fault, but is a fact that simply cannot be ignored. I don't see any downside to her making a video and setting the record straight.

That is, http://www.nas.org/polimage.cfm?doc_Id=1983&size_code=Doc").

mege said:
That is, http://www.nas.org/polimage.cfm?doc_Id=1983&size_code=Doc").
I fully agree with you, this is a serious problem and getting worse. Are you presenting this as a reason not to make the small fix that I propose?

Jimmy Snyder said:
I fully agree with you, this is a serious problem and getting worse. Are you presenting this as a reason not to make the small fix that I propose?

I'm ignoring the 'Sarah Palin should make a video' comments you're making because I don't have an opinion on it. One hand, yes, fully accepting actions and correcting statements is a good thing. On the other hand, I have limited faith in it being of consequence. The lack of consequence is not because it's Sarah Palin, but because the public's attention span for any news story only extends through the initial orgasm of information.

Take this discussion for example - we've already discussed this mistep for dozens of posts. If Palin did release a video correcting her self totally and humbly, would we pay much attention to it (esspecially compared to this thread)? Very likely not, causing the earlier action to be more prevelent in our memory anyhow totally negating the effort of the 'corrective' video.

mege said:
I'm ignoring the 'Sarah Palin should make a video' comments you're making because I don't have an opinion on it. One hand, yes, fully accepting actions and correcting statements is a good thing. On the other hand, I have limited faith in it being of consequence. The lack of consequence is not because it's Sarah Palin, but because the public's attention span for any news story only extends through the initial orgasm of information.

Take this discussion for example - we've already discussed this mistep for dozens of posts. If Palin did release a video correcting her self totally and humbly, would we pay much attention to it (esspecially compared to this thread)? Very likely not, causing the earlier action to be more prevelent in our memory anyhow totally negating the effort of the 'corrective' video.
The video would be for distribution in schools. I am suggesting that she do it because it is the right thing to do to correct a mistake. I understand that she is a politician and her enemies will never give her an inch, but what has that got to do with it?

It must be nice having so many unproven assumptions to make your arguments better.

turbo-1 said:

Once more - please support your description that Obama is a "Constitutional scholar and professor with a strong grasp of history" - we discussed this in another thread last week didn't we?

As for Palin - wasn't she a mayor and a governor?

edit - I see Mege beat me to the point.

WhoWee said:
Once more - please support your description that Obama is a "Constitutional scholar and professor with a strong grasp of history" - we discussed this in another thread last week didn't we?

As for Palin - wasn't she a mayor and a governor?

edit - I see Mege beat me to the point.

I can't find that thread, do you remember which one it was? The keywords "Obama" and "constitutional" are all through P&WA.

WhoWee said:

Google knows the answer in 0.13 seconds...

Statement Regarding Barack Obama

The Law School has received many media requests about Barack Obama, especially about his status as "Senior Lecturer."

From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/media

apeiron said:
Google knows the answer in 0.13 seconds...

I was going off what Wikipedia says, which doesn't make any mention of him as a Professor in the section I looked it (but it does make mention, at second look, in another section).

Even conceeding the point of President Obama's legal creditentials, at worst case, (what spurred this discussion on President Obama) Sarah Palin and President Obama were equally qualified to run for office. She still had more executive experience than him as both a Mayor and Governor, he had zero executive experience (unless you count his [strike]revolutionary[/strike] community organizer experience).

mege said:
I was going off what Wikipedia says, which doesn't make any mention of him as a Professor in the section I looked it (but it does make mention, at second look, in another section).

Even conceeding the point of President Obama's legal creditentials, at worst case, (what spurred this discussion on President Obama) Sarah Palin and President Obama were equally qualified to run for office. She still had more executive experience than him as both a Mayor and Governor, he had zero executive experience (unless you count his [strike]revolutionary[/strike] community organizer experience).

Speaking from the point of view of the foreign press, Obama still looks like the best President the US has had for a long time - but of course a complete lame duck because of the financial mess he inherited, the Republican control of Congress, the various oil wars the US is committed to, etc, etc.

Talk of Palin, Trump and other obvious non-entities as future Presidents seems like putting the inmates in charge of the asylum. :smile:

It would be fun to put these guys through some objective psychometric testing like you would for any serious job, let alone future leader of the free world. In the meantime, what academic heights did Palin manage to scale?

Oh, Google tells me: "Bachelor of science in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho". Yowsa!

apeiron said:
Speaking from the point of view of the foreign press, Obama still looks like the best President the US has had for a long time - but of course a complete lame duck because of the financial mess he inherited, the Republican control of Congress, the various oil wars the US is committed to, etc, etc.

Talk of Palin, Trump and other obvious non-entities as future Presidents seems like putting the inmates in charge of the asylum. :smile:

It would be fun to put these guys through some objective psychometric testing like you would for any serious job, let alone future leader of the free world. In the meantime, what academic heights did Palin manage to scale?

Oh, Google tells me: "Bachelor of science in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho". Yowsa!

The foreign press liking President Obama is actually something to be scared about, IMO. Who's interests are they rooting for? Their own or the American people? (Not to say they're totally exclusive interests, but different enough). I do find it interesting, though, that many of the European countries have gotten more conservative in the past few years even with all of the international media attacks on President Bush (biggest most recent example of this is various Euro leaders: "http://spectator.org/archives/2011/02/17/multiculturalism-has-failed# "). Also, how many of them want our help in Libya now? The hatred of President Bush by the foreign powers was overblown and really only fueled by some of the extreme leftist rallies that were broadcast. The current international trending (without the US at the helm) is towards the western exceptionalism that did dominate Bush-era foreign policy.

Tax cuts aside (which aren't really linked to the recession in general); the financial mess is only President Bush's fault in so far as he, and the Republican congress at the time, were unable to act against the housing bubble for political reasons. If they had attempted to eliminate the subprime subsidies, it would have just been seen as an 'attack on the poor' instead of the prudence that we now see it as. Unfortunately that's the problem with any social program is that even when introduced as a stop gap it becomes a dependence that is impossible to wrangle with later (check out this http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2011/06/09/thursday-morning-must-reads-11/ where they talk about just that - I know the link is to The Blaze, but the video is there and it's easier to navigate than ABC's website :p).

Oil wars... hmm? Why are we in Libya and Yemen? Those are totally President Bush's fault too, I know. (sorry, I'll try not to be snarky :p) Congress voted (Almost unanamously, and across party lines) to go into Afghanastan and Iraq. Why is this always pinned on President Bush exclusively? It's been a political convenience for President Bush's opponents to oppose the middle east conflicts when things weren't going well. The vast (early) congressional support of the wars showed that there was support from different perspectives. This is a tired argument (blaming President Bush), esspecially when, in just over 2 years of President Obama, we're involved in 2 more countries without congressional approval and without any 9/11-type event of provication to put focus on the Middle East. This is a major issue I have with President Obama - his unpredictability. Love/hate/whatever him, President Bush was predictable and steadfast in his convictions.

Lastly, for a politician, what does education have to do with it? Would you rather have only lawyers as politicians (which I feel is part of our problem) or would you rather have a mix? Now, I'm not saying that a high school dropout should be welcomed into politics, but indicting Sarah Palin for 'only' getting her BS from a non-ivy league school seems incredibly elitist and closed minded. Palin has actually lived a life outside of politics, activism and academia, I'd say that carries more weight than someone, like President Obama, that's lived in privledge and a fantasy land his whole life.

mege said:
Tax cuts aside (which aren't really linked to the recession in general); the financial mess is only President Bush's fault in so far as he, and the Republican congress at the time, were unable to act against the housing bubble for political reasons. If they had attempted to eliminate the subprime subsidies, it would have just been seen as an 'attack on the poor' instead of the prudence that we now see it as.
I have to disagree with the section I bolded. They were perfectly able to act, but chose not to for political reasons. They were warned about the Fannie and Freddie insanity causing a big problem, and didn't stop it. I don't know what's worse: the left enacting such a dangerously destructive policy, or Republicans not putting a stop to it when they had the chance.

Personally, I blame the Republicans more. Blaming Democrats for it is kind of like blaming wolves for eating sheep. Republicans are the ones that claimed to be against such insanity, then just went along with it.

Al68 said:
I have to disagree with the section I bolded. They were perfectly able to act, but chose not to for political reasons. They were warned about the Fannie and Freddie insanity causing a big problem, and didn't stop it. I don't know what's worse: the left enacting such a dangerously destructive policy, or Republicans not putting a stop to it when they had the chance.

Personally, I blame the Republicans more. Blaming Democrats for it is kind of like blaming wolves for eating sheep. Republicans are the ones that claimed to be against such insanity, then just went along with it.

Didn't I say that? ;)

I suppose I did make it seem more of a mandate than a choice, but still - the decision to not interfere with subprime lending was made because of political reasons (unfortunately). This is one area where Palin gains clout with conservatives - she doesn't think about political gain/loss - she is really thinking about accomplishing an adgenda with little moderation. Bad for her - this mentality makes her unelectable, but still makes her a force in the political ring because she's willing to say things that clout-minded politicians aren't willing to.

Jimmy Snyder said:
You mean she should lie and pretend that she was wrong? Even NPR now is acknowledging, after a little research, that http://www.npr.org/2011/06/06/137011636/how-accurate-were-palins-comments-on-paul-revere"

It looks like people would check their facts before calling someone an idiot for knowing something they didn't. :rolleyes::smile::smile::smile:

Al68 said:
You mean she should lie and pretend that she was wrong? Even NPR now is acknowledging, after a little research, that http://www.npr.org/2011/06/06/137011636/how-accurate-were-palins-comments-on-paul-revere"

It looks like people would check their facts before calling someone an idiot for knowing something they didn't. :rolleyes::smile::smile::smile:

I think saying she was right is a little bit of a stretch. Saying she was right is a little like saying the intent of my driving to Ohio last month was so I could pump gas into my Jeep - although admittedly, as often as I did pump gas, one could certainly be forgiven for getting that impression.

The British had already been warned that local patriots were well armed by local residents still loyal to the British. In fact, marching troops to Concord was the British response to that warning. It's a fact that the local alert system would have tipped off the British that the patriots knew the British were coming, but that fact was a side effect of the local alert system; not the intent of it.

Prof Allison definitely grades on the curve and almost cynically holds politicians to a different standard than his students. :smile:

BLOCK: So you think basically, on the whole, Sarah Palin got her history right.

Prof. ALLISON: Well, yeah, she did. And remember, she is a politician. She's not an historian. And God help us when historians start acting like politicians, and I suppose when politicians start writing history.

And, if grading on a politician's curve, Palin's comments probably deserve a better grade than Rick Santorum's. At least her comments were unscripted.

Rick Santorum said:
Almost 60,000 average Americans had the courage to go out and charge those beaches on Normandy, to drop out of airplanes who knows where, and take on the battle for freedom. Average Americans. The very Americans that our government now, and this president, does not trust to make a decision on your health care plan. Those Americans risked everything so they could make that decision on their health care plan.

Imagine what would have happened if Hitler were allowed to choose our health care plan!

Actually, I think one could truthfully say Hitler's "health care" plans for selected groups were appalling enough to be worth storming beaches, but that's still a gross misrepresentation of the Normandy invasion.

BobG said:
I think saying she was right is a little bit of a stretch.
Darn! I loved the image of Paul Revere ringin' those bells and firin' those warning shots to warn the British!

I'd love to hear Palin's musings on why the Little Big Horn (battle of greasy grass to the plains tribes) went so wrong for Custer. I'd never want it repeated to school-kids, but it would probably be funny for adults that enjoy studying history.

ATTENTION ALL PILERS-ON (never say I'm not a good sport) prepare for receipt of treasure:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/09/sarah-palin-emails-text-_n_874573.html

"The state of Alaska on Friday will release thousands of Sarah Palin's emails from her first two years as governor, a disclosure that has taken on national prominence as she flirts with a run for the presidency.

The emails were first requested during the 2008 White House race by citizens and news organizations, including The Associated Press, as they vetted a vice presidential nominee whose political experience included less than one term as governor of Alaska and a term as mayor of the small town of Wasilla. The nearly three-year delay has been attributed largely to the sheer volume of the release and the flood of requests.

Alaska is releasing the more than 24,000 pages of emails in paper form only and asking news organizations to pick up several boxes worth of documents in Alaska's capital city, accessible by only air or water. Reporters from several news organizations have already begun arriving in Juneau and are making various plans to disseminate the emails to the public.

Palin told Fox News Sunday that "every rock" that could have been kicked over to uncover things in her family has been. But she also said "a lot of those emails obviously weren't meant for public consumption" and that she expected people might seek to take some of the messages "out of context.""

Enjoy in good health!

turbo-1 said:
Darn! I loved the image of Paul Revere ringin' those bells and firin' those warning shots to warn the British!

I'd love to hear Palin's musings on why the Little Big Horn (battle of greasy grass to the plains tribes) went so wrong for Custer. I'd never want it repeated to school-kids, but it would probably be funny for adults that enjoy studying history.

At least be thankful she didn't watch the Rocky and Bullwinkle show:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgqobl_paul-revere_shortfilms

General: I gave that yell and in exactly 60 seconds we had a line.

Sherman: Would you call them 60 second men, Mr Peabody?

Mr Peabody: Of course not, Sherman. I'd call them... minutemen.