Stuck on simple derivative, u(t)*t*e^(-5t), urnt?

In summary, a simple derivative is the rate of change of a mathematical function with respect to its independent variable. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point. u(t) represents a unit step function, which acts as a switch in a function. To calculate the derivative of u(t)*t*e^(-5t), the product rule and chain rule can be used. The function e^(-5t) represents an exponential decay and is often used in mathematical models. The derivative of u(t)*t*e^(-5t) can be applied in various real-world applications such as in physics, economics, engineering, and finance.
mr_coffee
Hello eveyrone, I think my brain just shut down, I'm confused on how i would take the derivative of this function i have circled below:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1671/lastscan2vi.jpg

I know the chain rule, like if it was
t*e^(-5t) = e^(-5t) + t*(-5)e^(-5t)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](u_2 t e^{-7t})' = u_2' t e^{-7t} + u_2 (e^{-7t} + t (-7)e^{-7t})[/tex]

Ahh thank u! I c it now! :biggrin:

Related to Stuck on simple derivative, u(t)*t*e^(-5t), urnt?

What is a simple derivative?

A simple derivative is the rate of change of a mathematical function with respect to its independent variable. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point.

What does u(t) represent in the function u(t)*t*e^(-5t)?

u(t) represents a unit step function, which is a function that is 0 for all values less than 0 and 1 for all values greater than or equal to 0. It acts as a switch to turn the function on and off at a specific time.

How do you calculate the derivative of u(t)*t*e^(-5t)?

To calculate the derivative of u(t)*t*e^(-5t), you can use the product rule and the chain rule. The derivative will be u'(t)*t*e^(-5t) + u(t)*(t*e^(-5t))' + u(t)*t*(-5)e^(-5t), where u'(t) is the derivative of the unit step function and (t*e^(-5t))' is the derivative of the second term.

What is the purpose of using e^(-5t) in the function?

The function e^(-5t) represents an exponential decay. This term is often used in mathematical models to describe processes that decrease over time. In this function, it is used to model the diminishing effect of the unit step function on the overall rate of change.

How can I use the derivative of u(t)*t*e^(-5t) in real-world applications?

The derivative of this function can be used in various real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate the velocity of a falling object or in economics to model the decrease in demand for a product over time. It can also be used in engineering to optimize processes or in finance to analyze the growth or decline of investments.