Polyakov action, reparameterisation q, string theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Polyakov action and the mass-shell constraint in string theory. The speaker is confused about the inclusion of mass in the equation and asks for clarification. The solution is attempted, with the speaker plugging in values and discussing their interpretation. The conversation ends with a request for corrections if the speaker has made a mistake.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

qt.png

i am stuck on part d , see below

Homework Equations

parts a to c are fine

polyakov action:
## \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{e(t)} \frac{dX^u}{dt}\frac{dX_u}{dt}-m^2 e(t) dt ##

EoM of ##e(t)##:
##\frac{-1}{(e(t))^2} \frac{dX^u}{dt}\frac{dX_u}{dt}-m^2=0## [1]you plug the EoM of ##e(t)## (which is equivalent to the mass-shell constraint) into the polykov action to recover the Nambu-Goto action.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
More than anything, I am confused as to why we are given the mass, since the dimension of the space-time is not given, ##u=0,1...d##, ##d## is not specified. If it were ##d=1## I guess we would use it as something like computing the other space-time coordinate.

Whilst ##e(t)## has a transformation rule, ##X^u(t)## just acts as a scalar on the world-sheet in string theory? or in this case on the world-line, and as such has no transformation rule and so it is just a case of plugging in.

I interpret the trajectory in terms of ##t## as (apologies i have done ##\tau=t## and will also do ##\tau'=t'##) ##X^0(t)=t## and ##X^i(t)=0 ## for ##i=0,1,..,d##

So that the mass-shell constraint reads ##\frac{\partial X^0}{\partial t}\frac{\partial X_0}{\partial t}=1/2 ## and via the chain rule of t' and t it is easy to check that this is consistent.

So simply plugging in I get ## X^0(t'(t))=t' ^2##

However I'm guessing this is wrong since I have no idea why we are given the mass, any help much appreciated,ta.

Attachments

• qt.png
    qt.png
    15 KB · Views: 683
Physics news on Phys.org
d) Show that the Polyakov action can be written as ##\int \sqrt{\dot{x}^2-m^2}dt##Also if I am wrong about any of the above please inform me.

Related to Polyakov action, reparameterisation q, string theory

1. What is the Polyakov action in string theory?

The Polyakov action is a mathematical tool used in string theory to describe the dynamics of a string. It is a two-dimensional worldsheet action that represents the energy of the string and its interaction with spacetime.

2. What is reparameterisation q in string theory?

In string theory, reparameterisation q refers to the change of coordinates on the string worldsheet. This mathematical transformation allows for the description of a string from different perspectives and helps to simplify the calculations in string theory.

3. How is the Polyakov action related to reparameterisation q in string theory?

The Polyakov action is invariant under reparameterisation q, meaning that it remains the same regardless of the coordinate system used to describe the string. This allows for consistent calculations in string theory and ensures that the results are independent of the chosen coordinates.

4. What is the significance of the Polyakov action in string theory?

The Polyakov action plays a crucial role in the formulation of string theory. It provides a way to quantize the string and calculate its interactions with spacetime, making it a fundamental tool for understanding the behavior of strings and their role in the universe.

5. How does the Polyakov action contribute to our understanding of gravity?

The Polyakov action is a key component in the theory of gravity proposed by string theory. It allows for the unification of gravity with other fundamental forces by describing gravity as a manifestation of the dynamics of strings. This offers a potential solution to the long-standing problem of reconciling gravity with quantum mechanics in traditional physics.