205.8.9 Find the derivative of the function

That is exactly what the program returned. That is not "27 steps" but simply applying the chain rule.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$y=\cos(\tan(5t-4))\\$
chain rule $u=\tan(5t-4)$
$\frac{d}{du}\cos{(u)} \frac{d}{dt}\tan{\left(5t-4\right)}\\$
then
$-\sin{\left (u \right )}\cdot 5 \sec^{2}{\left (5 t - 4 \right )}\\$
replacing u with $\tan(5t-4)$
$-\sin{(\tan(5t-4))}\cdot 5 \sec^{2}{(5t-4)}\\$
$W\vert A$ returns

$-5\sec^2(5t-4)\sin(\tan(5t-4))$

ok I got confused on this u substitution thing but still seems to match the $W\vert A$ return

Physics news on Phys.org
I would write:

\(\displaystyle y'=-\sin\left(\tan(5t-4)\right)\sec^2(5t-4)(5)=-5\sec^2(5t-4)\sin\left(\tan(5t-4)\right)\quad\checkmark\)

Cool

I formerly ran this through eHm
but like 27 steps...

I really question these "show steps"
on online calculators ..
Forums much better

karush said:
$y=\cos(\tan(5t-4))\\$
chain rule $u=\tan(5t-4)$
$\frac{d}{du}\cos{(u)} \frac{d}{dt}\tan{\left(5t-4\right)}\\$
then
$-\sin{\left (u \right )}\cdot 5 \sec^{2}{\left (5 t - 4 \right )}\\$
replacing u with $\tan(5t-4)$
$-\sin{(\tan(5t-4))}\cdot 5 \sec^{2}{(5t-4)}\\$
$W\vert A$ returns

$-5\sec^2(5t-4)\sin(\tan(5t-4))$

ok I got confused on this u substitution thing but still seems to match the $W\vert A$ return
It is a good idea to explictely write u= tan(5t-4) so that y= cos(u). I would go a step further and write v= 5t- 4 so that u= tan(v). Then the chain rule says that dy/dx= (dy/du)(du/dx)= (dy/du)(du/dv)(dv/dx)= (-sin(u))(sec^2(v))(5)= (-sin(tan(5t-4)))(sec^2(5t-4))(5).

Related to 205.8.9 Find the derivative of the function

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the function and combining them using algebraic operations.

3. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is useful in many areas of science and engineering. It can help determine the maximum and minimum values of a function, the rate of change of a physical quantity, and the slope of a curve. It is also used in optimization problems and in understanding the behavior of complex systems.

4. Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. A positive derivative indicates an increasing function, and a derivative of zero indicates a constant function.

5. How do you find the derivative of a function with multiple variables?

To find the derivative of a function with multiple variables, you can use partial differentiation. This involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to each variable while holding the other variables constant. The result is a set of partial derivatives, which can be combined to find the total derivative of the function.