Derivative of a unit step function

In summary, the conversation discusses struggling with worked examples in a signals class and trying to find the derivative of a given function. The derivative is found using the chain rule, but there is difficulty in understanding where to go from there due to the presence of a delta function. It is noted that the delta function may not be necessary as the function is continuous at t = 0, but there is a discontinuity in its derivatives.
Crabbz
So I'm busy struggling with some worked examples in my signals class. I understand the theory from the notes and textbook but I cannot seem to apply them to proper examples.
We are asked to find the derivative of g(t) = (1-e^(-t))*u(t) where u(t) is a unit step function.

I know the derivative of u(t) is the delta function, d(x). So when I try solve the derivative I use the chain rule and get:
g'(t) = e^(-t)*u(t) + (1-^e(-t))*d(x)
However I get stuck at this point and not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Crabbz said:
So I'm busy struggling with some worked examples in my signals class. I understand the theory from the notes and textbook but I cannot seem to apply them to proper examples.
We are asked to find the derivative of g(t) = (1-e^(-t))*u(t) where u(t) is a unit step function.

I know the derivative of u(t) is the delta function, d(x). So when I try solve the derivative I use the chain rule and get:

Thanks in advance
That should be d(t), not d(x).

Use the fact that f(t)δ(t) = f(0)δ(t).

Crabbz said:

Thanks in advance

You do not need the δ-function, since g(t) is continuous at t = 0 (no jump discontinuity). However, the left-hand and right-hand derivatives are different, so the answer will have a u(t) in it.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Crabbz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a δ from the "Quick Symbols" box next to the Reply box :wink:)
Crabbz said:
I know the derivative of u(t) is the delta function, d(x).

(as vela :smile: says, of course that should be δ(t) :wink:)

Technically, it's not the delta function, it's the dirac delta, which isn't a function at all, it's a "generalised function", or "distribution", which really only works inside an integral.

(unfortunately, they're both written δ ! :rolleyes:)

In particular, dirac δ(0) is not 1, it's actually ∞ (just look at the graph … how else can you get its total integral to equal 1 ?! :biggrin:)
So when I try solve the derivative I use the chain rule and get:

Let's take an easier example, f(x) = (2x + 3)u(x) …

just by looking. that's the negative x-axis, then a line of slope 2 starting at (0,3): so its derivative is obviously 0 for x < 0, and 2 for x > 0, and there's a discontinuity at x = 0.

Now let's apply the chain rule, instead of just looking:

f'(x) = 2u(x) + (2x + 3)u'(x)

for x ≠ 0, that gives us f'(x) = 2u(x) + 0 (which is correct for x≠ 0)

for x = 0, it doesn't really tell us anything, since u'(0) = ∞​

The way to interpret f'(x) = 2u(x) + (2x + 3)u'(x) at x = 0 is to look at a small interval (h,k), with k > 0, and integrate:

∫ f'(x) dx = ∫ 2u(x) dx + ∫ (2x + 3)u'(x) dx

the LHS is f(k) - f(h), ie 2(k - h) if h ≥ 0, and 2k + 3 if h < 0

the first term on the RHS is 2(k - h) if h ≥ 0, but only 2k if h < 0

the second term on the RHS is (2*0 + 3)*0 = 0 if h ≥ 0, and (2*0 + 3)*1 = 3 if h < 0

so it all adds up! :smile:

Related to Derivative of a unit step function

What is a unit step function?

A unit step function is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for negative inputs and 1 for positive inputs. It is represented by the symbol u(t) or sometimes simply as H(t).

What is the derivative of a unit step function?

The derivative of a unit step function is a Dirac delta function, also known as the impulse function. It is represented by the symbol δ(t) and is defined as infinite at t=0 and 0 for all other values of t.

Why is the derivative of a unit step function used?

The derivative of a unit step function is used to represent instantaneous changes in a system. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to model sudden impulses or changes in a system.

How is the derivative of a unit step function calculated?

The derivative of a unit step function is calculated using the definition of a derivative. It involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the input variable approaches 0. In the case of a unit step function, the derivative is equal to the Dirac delta function.

What are some applications of the derivative of a unit step function?

The derivative of a unit step function has various applications in engineering and physics. It is used to model impulse responses in systems, such as in control theory and signal processing. It is also used in solving differential equations and in circuit analysis.