Stanford for 2 weeks, suggestions for a place?

In summary, the author is looking for places to stay for two weeks at the start of August at SLAC. He is working off of $1,000 of grant money, and is worried about getting a cheap motel that will be crummy. Some universities rent out the dorms for summer. The author recommends the Stanford Conferences option for summer campus visitors.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I'm going to visit SLAC for 2 weeks at the start of August and I was wondering if anyone happened to know some decent places for the 2 week stay? I'm probably mainly looking at motels/hotels but I don't know the area as well as some of you might. I'm working off $1k of grant money so that's a problem... although I know someone at SLAC that would room with me for the 2 weeks when he goes back up! So splitting the cost to a place is a nice option... I just worry about getting a cheap motel and it turning out to be crumby and have to deal with it for 2 weeks...

Any takers/suggestions? :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Some universities rent out the dorms for summer, not to just everyone but since you have a connection to the university you may qualify. You should check out that option.

Edit: try this -

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/scs/individuals/index.html

Stanford Conferences offers studio apartments, 1-bedroom apartments, 2-bedroom family apartments, and shared 2- and 4-bedroom apartments on a space available basis for eligible 2010 summer campus visitors (age 18 and over) who are attending a conference or workshop, studying or conducting research with Stanford faculty, or coming to Stanford for some other academic purpose.

Doesn't say they allow birds, though.

Last edited:
I always stay at the Westin in Palo Alto, they allow pets, but it is a bit costly. The plus side is that its as close to Stanford U. as you can get. I would also suggest Lisab's idea.

SLAC guest house.

Vanadium 50 said:
SLAC guest house.

Ah...housing for slackers.

The SLAC Guest house is booked up for the time i need :(

and dang, stupid PF wasn't insta-emailing me all these replies!

We're looking at the Camino Inn and Suites but I'm not sure if its too far out to be needing to go to SLAC 5 days a week and having to live there for 2 weeks.

Related to Stanford for 2 weeks, suggestions for a place?

1. What are the top attractions to see in Stanford during a 2-week visit?

Some popular attractions to see in Stanford include the Stanford University campus, the Cantor Arts Center, the Hoover Tower, The Dish hiking trail, and the Stanford Shopping Center.

2. Are there any must-try restaurants in Stanford?

Yes, some must-try restaurants in Stanford include The Treehouse, Evvia Estiatorio, Maum, and The Village Cheese House.

3. What outdoor activities are available in Stanford?

There are many outdoor activities available in Stanford, such as hiking at The Dish, biking along the Stanford Perimeter Trail, and enjoying a picnic at Lake Lagunita.

4. Is it easy to get around in Stanford without a car?

Yes, Stanford has a free shuttle service called the Marguerite Shuttle that runs throughout the campus and surrounding areas. There are also bike rental options and ride-sharing services available.

5. Are there any museums or galleries to visit in Stanford?

Yes, there are several museums and galleries to visit in Stanford, including the Cantor Arts Center, Anderson Collection at Stanford University, and the Stanford Art Gallery.