Cheap Travel Tips: How to Explore New Cities for Under $500

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Travel
In summary, a person is looking for suggestions on where to go on a vacation and how to spend less money. They mention Montreal and say that it is a cheaper option than hotels. They also mention Couchsurfing which could be an option.
leroyjenkens
I haven't been out of my city in a long time and I just recently started to get a wanderlust feeling. Traveling out of the country is too expensive, so I decided that I'm going to take a trip to some city I've never been to before and just explore it and all the stuff there is to do there for about 5 days. I'm going to start doing this with every week vacation I get off of work, which is three a year.

Anyone have any suggestions of cities that I could visit and explore, and do you know about how much it would cost for the entire trip? I'd like to spend less than 500$ per trip. But that could be difficult, depending on how far I travel from Florida. I heard about ways to get super cheap plane tickets, but I don't know how to do that.
Anyone here an expert traveler who knows how to spend as little as possible on a vacation?

Physics news on Phys.org

leroyjenkens said:
I haven't been out of my city in a long time and I just recently started to get a wanderlust feeling. Traveling out of the country is too expensive, so I decided that I'm going to take a trip to some city I've never been to before and just explore it and all the stuff there is to do there for about 5 days. I'm going to start doing this with every week vacation I get off of work, which is three a year.

Anyone have any suggestions of cities that I could visit and explore, and do you know about how much it would cost for the entire trip? I'd like to spend less than 500$ per trip. But that could be difficult, depending on how far I travel from Florida. I heard about ways to get super cheap plane tickets, but I don't know how to do that.
Anyone here an expert traveler who knows how to spend as little as possible on a vacation?
I think Expedia and Travelocity have cheap deals. Some airlines offer discount fairs. Perhaps one can search Google or other search site for 'discount airlines' or 'discount airfares'. One will find JetBlue, Spirit, AirTrans Airways, Southwest Airlines, and others offering cheap fares on certain routes.

Or look at Amtrak, or a bus service. Or just drive if one has a car.

From the Southeast, one could travel west along the Gulf Coast, or up into the mountains, e.g., the Smokies, or along the east coast, e.g., US 1, or up I-95 to Washington DC. Amtrak parallels that route.

If you're in northern Florida and can drive, there are some places worth visiting within a day's drive, e.g. New Orleans, Atlanta, Charleston. They're a bit of a stretch from Miami, though.

Amtrak is often cheaper than flying, if you can put up with sleeping in a coach seat overnight. That would get you up to Washington, Philadelphia, and New York.

Amtrak to DC is a hoot.
Google 'Couchsurfing.'

I don't know how adventurous you are, ,,,
In Montreal at 1208 Drummond there used to be a delightful rooming house, "The Vines". Dont know if it's still there. Cost was 1/10th of Sheraton next door. But the bathroom is down the hall and there's apt to be a late night poker game conducted in French. I loved it.
Air Canada and Delta run nonstops from Miami cheap in slack season. At Dorval follow the crowd onto 214 bus then transfer next bus to Lionel Groux, from there subway to Peel st. Carry a French-English dictionary visible in pocket, be aware you're the foreigner and act like a guest & you'll find the French Canadians are wonderful friendly people.
Get a map and learn the layout first. Nothing is N-S and you need a compass when come up out of subway. An afternoon in park atop Mt Royal identifying landmarks is well spent.
Gotta hit DeCarrie hotdogs and Frannie's Cheesecake. See the Bouguereau's at Musee d Beau Arts and see who's playing at Place d Arts .

If i don't make it into Heaven I'm going to Montreal.

old jim

I've had some friends have positive experiences from Couchsurfing. Otherwise major cities will have some hostels that are cheaper than any hotel. Maybe hitchhike? :)

jim hardy said:
If i don't make it into Heaven I'm going to Montreal.

My wife and I went there for our honeymoon 24 years ago this coming June. It was the logical choice because we got married in Vermont and French is her second-best foreign language after German. (She's taught both.)

I'll have to suggest to her that we go there again next year. :biggrin:

Related to Cheap Travel Tips: How to Explore New Cities for Under $500

1. How can I find cheap flights?

There are several ways to find cheap flights. One option is to use a flight comparison website that allows you to search for the best deals across multiple airlines. You can also sign up for email alerts from airlines or set up price alerts on flight comparison websites. Another tip is to be flexible with your travel dates and destinations, as this can often lead to lower prices.

2. Are there any affordable accommodations in new cities?

Yes, there are many affordable accommodations in new cities. Hostels, guesthouses, and Airbnb rentals are often much cheaper than hotels. You can also consider staying in a less central location, as accommodations in popular areas tend to be more expensive.

3. How can I save money on food while traveling?

One way to save money on food while traveling is to cook your own meals. This can be done by staying in accommodations with kitchen facilities or by using a portable stove or grill. You can also look for affordable local restaurants or street food options, and avoid eating in touristy areas where prices tend to be higher.

4. Is it cheaper to use public transportation or rent a car?

It depends on the location and your travel plans. In some cities, public transportation is much cheaper than renting a car. It is important to research the cost of public transportation and compare it to the cost of renting a car for your specific destination. Additionally, consider the convenience and accessibility of each option.

5. Are there any free or low-cost activities in new cities?

Yes, there are usually plenty of free or low-cost activities in new cities. Many cities have free walking tours, museums with discounted or free admission days, and parks or outdoor spaces to explore. You can also research local festivals, events, and markets, which often offer free entry and a chance to experience the local culture.