Avoiding homelessness on short timescale

• Thread starter G037H3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary: I'm not sure what will happen then. Basically, I'm in a lot of trouble and I don't know what to do.In summary, the person who is the head of household (renting it from someone else) is going to try to evict me on Dec. 1st...a full month ahead of when I thought I would have to deal with the issue. Not only are they going to try to evict me, they're going to attempt to accept my rent $ and *then* kick me out. They're also a drug addict and live without working by defrauding the state. I'm in a lot of trouble and don't know what to do.
jarednjames said:
I've seen nothing so far that tells me you are outside of the ordinary.

I have no idea what you're on about here. I judge intelligence on what a person knows. The more you know, whether broadly or in a specific field, the more intelligent I consider you.

Which is why your life is so meaningful? This is complete and utter rubbish and again, is subject to what you consider meaningful. For me, live a meaningful life is to be a productive member of society.

Arrogance and self importance showing through a lot here. You aren't special, you aren't intelligent from what we've seen here and you seem to believe you are above us "normal" people. You aren't.

Then you'll love me, I have an IQ of 156. But then I don't accept IQ tests as a measure of intelligence. They weren't designed to do that and are only good for testing a person for retardation. Otherwise they are useless.

Dig deeper.

Knowledge != intelligence.

A path is laid out for me, a path of what ought to be.

You'd love to believe that, wouldn't you? It would make all of your arguments correct if only I weren't different.

The tests designed for gifted individuals are not the same tests used on average and below-average people. I already pointed out my distaste for a psychometric measure that is so varying and abused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mech_Engineer said:
I'm not interested in holding your hand and giving you a "you are unique and special" speech. I'm trying to be a voice of reason in this thread, telling you like it IS, even if you don't like it.

It's completely ironic that you complain we are too quick to judge you, yet you appear to be even quicker to judge people to be unfit for your interaction if they don't meet your standards for "intelligence."

Prove it! This sounds like a meaningless claim to me.

You're making the assumption that your "nature" makes you incapable of interacting with people. I think you need to grow up and realize the only thing holding you back is your toxic attitude towards others.

:rolleyes:

The voice of basal practicality. Yes, yes, I know.

When I have information of a higher quality, of course I am going to use it.

Read some Plato or Aristotle. They are much better expositors (for now) than I could hope to be.

It is my nature, and always has been. I cannot stand normal people, to me they are like chimpanzees capable of speech. Environmental products with no redeeming value.

Those that are above a minimum threshold are a bit more bearable, as they sometimes say true things, and thus are worthy of observation.

story645 said:
So the one thing I've learned through years of watching other people's drama is that almost nobody has a really good self-perception of how he or she is in the context of a relationship, 'specially since a truly good perception would also require him or her to be in the partner's head.

Uh Starbucks, Mcdonalds, movie theaters, retail and volunteering->we've already covered the whole you don't have quals for much else.
As for the GLBTQ groups in Seattle? I posted a link to a list of them a couple of posts back.

We're not, we're just pointing out that you seem to not be aiming for jobs that you can actually get (hence the lack of interviews.)

But many of the posts, quite a few made by posters who are in programming/programming related fields, are pointing out that you are out of touch and telling you why. It's really not good enough to just be good, whatever you think that means. Most jobs have a technical interview portion, provided hr even let's you get that far (which with your resume, uh not likely.)

If nothing else, trust that I am aware of my peculiarities and needs regarding a relationship.

Yes, I must focus on those sorts of things. I've already decided that I will now accept most fast-food jobs, because I feel that it will be painful enough to make me focus more on programming.

I applied at grocery stores, retail places, and a bookstore.

Problem solving is the most important thing. If I am, in reality, talented, then it will be apparent. Of course, this is two months away, at best.

I entered into a conversation with the person and they issued me an ultimatum:

Accomplish one of the following by Jan. 1st:

1. obtain a job (or become hired by a temp agency, even without being placed)

2. find a place in Portland for less than $400

3. find a place and a job in Portland

This makes me happy. :0

I thought you lived in Seattle?

cristo said:
I thought you lived in Seattle?

I live in Lynnwood, WA. I'm 14 miles from the Space Needle. They, however, live in Portland, and a necessary condition of a relationship would be a resettling in Portland.

G037H3 said:
The person just said that it wouldn't work out. You guys were pretty much right. I'm sorry for arguing.

G037H3 said:
I entered into a conversation with the person and they issued me an ultimatum:

Accomplish one of the following by Jan. 1st:

1. obtain a job (or become hired by a temp agency, even without being placed)

2. find a place in Portland for less than $400

3. find a place and a job in Portland

This makes me happy. :0

Please consolidate. Didn't you just say the Portland person said it would not work out?

Math Is Hard said:
Please consolidate. Didn't you just say the Portland person said it would not work out?

Is what they said, and then we had a convo and they said that the reason that they said that is because I seem to be unable to do things on my own. So the ultimatum is a way to prove that I don't need to have my hand held for everything, essentially. I'm okay with it because I have to get a job regardless of whether or not I enter into a relationship with them, and doing something for them is a lot easier than doing it for myself, so I'm a bit more confident about my prospects now.

G037H3 said:
Knowledge != intelligence.

This is something that I 100% agree with.

Knowledge can give a rather dangerous wafer thin illusion of intelligence. I've known quite a few poeple that have read and memorised information and regurgitated it on cue without actually understanding it.

Naturally people that can gain a lot of knowledge tend to be intelligent, but it doesn't always follow.

Hi Goethe, another long post, just read your last entry, hope things are picking up. What I've posted is all still valid, if slightly rushed towards the end.

"...because the reflections I see are the promise of a more truthful existence..." - you need to drop this until you have sorted yourself out

"It's difficult to avoid developing hatred when my ideals are constantly under assault by the decrepit and corrupt world." - irrespective of HOW THE WORLD ACTUALLY IS what you think and feel about it will not change that one bit. The thing you can change (for your good not the worlds) is how you think and feel about it, then there is at least a chance that you will be somebody who can change the world for the better, rather than be nobody who uses how he sees the world as a means to stay the same. You will see this better once you are outside of this situation. Seek counselling.

"Yes, but you must keep in mind that just as I have a natural need to submit emotionally, others have a natural need to dominate emotionally." - I dispute this. I believe this is a choice, and that the choice to see it this way is causing you a lot of problems. I don't believe you were born like this. Even if you were, it's not written in stone. Seek counselling.

"I was completely open with them about all of my ideals and preferences" - you seem to be unconditionally open. Again, this is a choice, and I don't believe you were born being like this. Even if you were it's not written in stone. I believe I said earlier that your fear of being gang raped may have been overexaggerated. In light of this I would like to revise that. You are leaving yourself wide open to "being gang-raped in a dark alley by a group of predators", not to mention drugs, being murdered, and any form of abuse anyone may like to inflict on you. People may even pretend to give you your every wish just to get you in a position where they could do one of the above to you. I've wanted to spell this out but held back, and I shouldn't of. Sorry about that. Seek counselling.

"Support groups would not be a good idea" - Yes they would. They are a far better idea than spilling it all out here. You've done it here, do it in a support group. Print the thread. Take it with you. See what they say. Say there what you are saying here.

"I wouldn't be in this position had I grown up in Western Europe. So yes, I will state that a lot of environmental factors are very unfair to me." - this is NOW irrelevant, until you are in a position to be able to deal with your past. Seek counselling.

"But job comes before counseling" - this may be so if you really get your act together. If you let things go as they are, counselling (or worse) will come first. Not disagreeing with the sentiment though. Get counselling.

(Story645 quote) "Even naturally dom people tend to not want to be the dom full time" - this you need to see. You want to be "s" heart and soul 24/7. Never mind "s". Doing this with anything seems wrong. Seek counselling.

"I would become frustrated at their lack of understanding" - You would be frustrated at their lack of seeing it your way.

"I'm not a teen for long. I feel really old." - Children grow up quickly IMO. So I tell mine, forget x, just enjoy being y years old. So get sorted, get a job, seek counselling, and enjoy being 19. Then you can enjoy being 20,21,22... It works for any year.

"my point was that I would have presumably had a healthy way to distinguish myself from others, which I lacked growing up" - I would say this has nothing to do with Westen Europe, given all the places in the world to be born that must be near the top of the list? This is though an important issue colouring your life that may need addressing. Seek counselling.

"I'm what is known as a 'natural submissive', I'm pretty easy to manage/control in the context of a relationship." - You are not that, you chose to be that. You were not born that and even if you were it is not set in stone. Seek counselling.

"Data helps to weed out those who cannot stand my societal and philosophical views." - Goethe, weed thyself!

"Good point. I'll look into whether or not there are groups in Seattle that cater to GLBT youth, and especially trans, since TG people have it rougher in a lot of ways. =/" - :) :) :) (plenty of people have it rough, the question is what do you do about it)

"Everyone seems to ignore that I've partially been trying to get a job for months, and haven't had one interview." - sorry I'm no help in your practical issues. I've never been in this situation, so my advice would be trite and obvious, but I do wish you the best.

"academic ways to assert my intellect" - sort yourself out. Seek counselling. There are non-academic ways to assert your intellect (choice of one?)

"I know that I assume things, but everyone does, so it isn't really a damning thing to say." - people in general don't make assumptions that destroy their lives"

"If I'm good (and I have taken every opportunity to have those more experienced than I give their opinion), then it isn't out of touch with reality." - are they consistent with the opinions in this thread?

"'frighteningly sharp' = I speak to no one, unless I am disturbed, and then I play the role of Socrates...people cannot handle learning of their own ignorance" - or a problem child

"Their exact reasons were a supposed threat, which is interesting, because I never talked to anyone or had any friends. It was an excuse to stick me in a room for several months, and then bend the law to expel me. Religious, stupid, sexually repressed people. So funny." - problem child, problem child, problem child, arrogant child. There is nothing funny here.

"'Constructed world' refers to a network of reinforced beliefs that are developed with the abuse of Ockham's Razor, as well as a sickening obedience to authority, and a severe case of cognitive dissonance resulting from blatant hypocrisy concerning major societal issues." - I think you mean "real world" here. At least try it before you reject it.

"To assume that the modern world is healthy is a rather extreme assumption, as well." - you are not in a position to judge the state of the world.

"A degree alone doesn't show much other than a pretty low minimum intellect, coupled with proof that someone is able to navigate silly social systems that are set up based on flawed ideas." - when you have experienced what is involved in a degree course you can comment

"When I glance at the structure of society and convention, I see something completely different" - you are choosing how you see it and changing how you see it is the only way you can improve that situation.

"You (and other posters) have made strong assumptions about me, and refuse to even consider that my situation is out of the ordinary or contains difficulties that are out of the purview of mainstream existence" - your situation is all too common and the solutions, however tailored to yourself, are clear.

"Philosophy is the only path to achieve meaningfulness in life." - philosophy won't sort this out, only YOU can

"You make the assumption that my inability to connect with normal people is due to my attitude" - I don't see any evidence to the contrary.

"normal people are extremely painful to be around." - seek counselling (unless this is just arrogance)

"I dislike using IQ as a way to communicate a comparative assessment of intelligence, but generally others tend to become bearable once they're over 135 IQ" - I'm unbearable.

"I'm taking a nap now, as fixing my sleep schedule is a top priority, and a nap shall constitute a small adjustment towards a symmetry between slumber and society" - yes we all need our sleep

"A path is laid out for me, a path of what ought to be." - lock the thread, the path is laid.

"Read some Plato or Aristotle. They are much better expositors (for now) than I could hope to be." - forget them. The best you have is your interpretation of them. They cannot exposit? for you. You are a better expositor.

"It is my nature, and always has been. I cannot stand normal people, to me they are like chimpanzees capable of speech. Environmental products with no redeeming value." - yes you seem to prefer books

"Those that are above a minimum threshold are a bit more bearable, as they sometimes say true things, and thus are worthy of observation." - arrogant

Best Wishes

John

you need to drop this until you have sorted yourself out

You cannot discard your nature. If you mean that I must switch focus momentarily, then you are correct.
irrespective of HOW THE WORLD ACTUALLY IS what you think and feel about it will not change that one bit. The thing you can change (for your good not the worlds) is how you think and feel about it, then there is at least a chance that you will be somebody who can change the world for the better, rather than be nobody who uses how he sees the world as a means to stay the same. You will see this better once you are outside of this situation. Seek counselling.

A person can become a mirror of their environment, but that does not mean that it can be sustained.

I dispute this. I believe this is a choice, and that the choice to see it this way is causing you a lot of problems. I don't believe you were born like this. Even if you were, it's not written in stone. Seek counselling.

You dispute that my expression of love could be natural to me? Do you dispute the natural origins of sexuality or gender, such as homosexuality or transgenderism?
you seem to be unconditionally open. Again, this is a choice, and I don't believe you were born being like this. Even if you were it's not written in stone. I believe I said earlier that your fear of being gang raped may have been overexaggerated. In light of this I would like to revise that. You are leaving yourself wide open to "being gang-raped in a dark alley by a group of predators", not to mention drugs, being murdered, and any form of abuse anyone may like to inflict on you. People may even pretend to give you your every wish just to get you in a position where they could do one of the above to you. I've wanted to spell this out but held back, and I shouldn't of. Sorry about that. Seek counselling.

I have already stated that I am not indiscriminately trusting. I come across as very shy or cold to strangers.

Yes they would. They are a far better idea than spilling it all out here. You've done it here, do it in a support group. Print the thread. Take it with you. See what they say. Say there what you are saying here.

I'm not spilling myself here; it is simply an arena to learn how normal people approach these sorts of issues.

this is NOW irrelevant, until you are in a position to be able to deal with your past. Seek counselling.

I agree.

this may be so if you really get your act together. If you let things go as they are, counselling (or worse) will come first. Not disagreeing with the sentiment though. Get counselling.

Yes, but more depends on my success other than becoming homeless or not, now that it is necessary to ingratiate myself through completing the practical task.

this you need to see. You want to be "s" heart and soul 24/7. Never mind "s". Doing this with anything seems wrong. Seek counselling.

I'm very much D outside of my emotions, I have explained that I function much better when my energies are not drained by unclear relationships and such. Love isn't a game.

You would be frustrated at their lack of seeing it your way.
If I am an Aristotle, I must feel alone among the Athenians, if I am a Socrates, I must point out their lack of understanding, if I am a Nietzsche, I must tell them their real sins.
Children grow up quickly IMO. So I tell mine, forget x, just enjoy being y years old. So get sorted, get a job, seek counselling, and enjoy being 19. Then you can enjoy being 20,21,22... It works for any year.
But you forget that responsibility follows from ability. Do you know the burdens I carry? That which remains invisible to others weighs me down.
I would say this has nothing to do with Westen Europe, given all the places in the world to be born that must be near the top of the list? This is though an important issue colouring your life that may need addressing. Seek counselling.

I view myself to be a failure. It follows that such a relationship that I am functional in would allow me to drop some of the burdens that dig into my flesh.

You are not that, you chose to be that. You were not born that and even if you were it is not set in stone. Seek counselling.

I choose an honest appraisal of my being. A slave to love, a tyrant to others, an avowed worshiper of the universe.

Goethe, weed thyself!

Oh, but I have! Where do you think my self awareness stems from?
:) :) :) (plenty of people have it rough, the question is what do you do about it)

An additional question that must be asked is whether or not a remedy is available.

are they consistent with the opinions in this thread?

The opinions in this thread are of higher quality than you would receive on the street, but do not compare to to sage words of wisdom that my historical peers have conjured up from their hearts.

problem child, problem child, problem child, arrogant child. There is nothing funny here.

Oh, yes. Dreadfully bored of school, and never challenged. It was *all* my fault! I should have performed a transorbital lobotomy on myself to appease the others.

you are not in a position to judge the state of the world.

If I can see more than others, it could be that I have keener vision. Or maybe I'm using a fish-eye lens.

when you have experienced what is involved in a degree course you can comment

If comparison and logic are disallowed, then I suppose you cannot prove that anything anyone says is true. This is the path of the moral relativist, the result of refusing to accept your own failings and weaknesses, of refusing to acknowledge a natural hierarchy.

your situation is all too common and the solutions, however tailored to yourself, are clear.
Only on the surface. Even when the water is clear, it is obvious that everyone focuses on the reflection, and not what lies below.

forget them. The best you have is your interpretation of them. They cannot exposit? for you. You are a better expositor.

Some perceptions and observations are common among those who see the larger patterns, and have insight of the fundamental structures of reality, including humans.

yes you seem to prefer books

It is that the expressed words help to remind me that there have been others somewhat like myself.

Also, you repeatedly misspelt 'counseling'.

Goethe, you want it simple? Here it is:

You are arrogant and self absorbed. Your own image of yourself puts you in a fictional place that doesn't relate to where you are in reality.

You have zilch in the way of marketable skills, don't have a job and barely somewhere to live and are currently supported by the 'normal' people you despise so much, and yet you still believe you are better than them and they don't deserve your time.

You are constantly attacking the real world and how it works (university for example) and yet you have no experience in them.

I agree with the above, your case screams of a problem child. You are making out your are in a relatively unique position and I can assure you, you aren't.

It seems that anyone who doesn't agree with you is immediately deemed not worth your time. Just because you have a view, it doesn't make it right and certainly doesn't make it valid.

Don't attack the real world, the world that is supporting you, try living in it. You don't have to accept the real world, just work with it. I don't accept many things that go on in the UK, but I have no choice but to live with them. That doesn't mean I'm defaulting to agreeing with them.

How about you try taking some advice of the people here? Don't sit here arguing and debating why you are right. Give it a go.

G037H3 said:
Problem solving is the most important thing. If I am, in reality, talented, then it will be apparent.
Honey, what part of "doesn't work that way" do you not get?

I'm not telling you this as a realist, I'm telling you this as someone who you'd probably be competing against for many of these jobs. I've got the degree, years of python experience, even more years of programming experience, lots of random work experience, and even some real projects under my belt and yeah my resume will almost definitely beat out a web resume full of some silly games. And even I don't have all the requirements half the python jobs ask for, so yeah I don't quite expect you to have an easy go of it if you stick to this talent trumps all non-sense. That only works at some startups.

I've gone to some of the tech meetups, hung around the tech boards, and looked at the job postings for people with python-when I say talent doesn't cut it, I'm pretty much repeating everything I've heard from people hiring programmers who know python. Even random startups want people with strong CS theory backgrounds 'cause they're making some sort of specialized software. And that's another thing: almost nobody is hiring python programmers, it's almost always programmers who know python among the languages they know. As I've said before, problem solving isn't the main thing, it's the absolute bare minimum.

Another thing to consider is that the python shops tend to be focused around scientific computing (places like Enthought) so they want phds and people with C/C++/fortran, in New York a lot of finance shops use it (again for scientific computing type work) so they also want phds and people who know multiple languages 'cause they all have in house systems/languages, google almost exclusively hires phds and people from brand name schools, and the web shops tend to use python as a sysadmin/glue language (so experience with those sorts of things is usually required) or they use django (so an understanding of frameworks becomes important).

I've already decided that I will now accept most fast-food jobs, because I feel that it will be painful enough to make me focus more on programming.
Attitude, attitude: I'd be happy even with a fast-food job 'cause I totally need the cash, not I'd deign to take a fast food job if nothing better comes my way.

Is what they said, and then we had a convo and they said that the reason that they said that is because I seem to be unable to do things on my own
So you mean I was right about the whole them not wanting to be a dom all the time thing?

On the Portland thing: *shrugs* I don't think it's a great idea/will work out all that well, but best of luck.

Last edited:
He isn't here to learn from people, no matter if it seems so. He is using you guys to try and justify himself; he needs to shoot down everything you say so that he can feel like he is right. Goethe, no matter how often you say it, you aren't a genius. The people who are trying to help you actually know a lot about physics and math, and are really some of the best people out there since they are also willing to help you with your personal life. You don't contribute anything to PF, you are just leaching the decency of its users. Stop whining and do something with your life. Having a GED and taking an online IQ test doesn't mean anything.

No more need for this thread.