Avoiding homelessness on short timescale

• Thread starter G037H3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary: I'm not sure what will happen then. Basically, I'm in a lot of trouble and I don't know what to do.In summary, the person who is the head of household (renting it from someone else) is going to try to evict me on Dec. 1st...a full month ahead of when I thought I would have to deal with the issue. Not only are they going to try to evict me, they're going to attempt to accept my rent $ and *then* kick me out. They're also a drug addict and live without working by defrauding the state. I'm in a lot of trouble and don't know what to do.
G037H3
I know this is probably off-topic, but it's worth a shot. I've previously alluded to my deteriorating personal situation. Yesterday evening, I discovered that the person who is the head of household (renting it from someone else) is going to try to evict me on Dec. 1st...a full month ahead of when I thought I would have to deal with the issue. Not only are they going to try to evict me, they're going to attempt to accept my rent $ and *then* kick me out.

-I've been here for 5 months
-I pay rent in $, $360 per month
-I do not have a contract

I'm extremely frightened, for obvious reasons. Homelessness is not something I could handle. Being transgender and physically frail, if I become homeless, the chance of being assaulted/raped/etc. is pretty high. I have no knowledge of how to survive in that sort of situation.

Considering that, I'm rapidly planning the next few days so that I may, namely:

-apply for several hundred jobs in less than a week
-apply for governmental job placement services
-apply for food stamps
-try to find a cheap room to stay in (biggest issue after finding a job)
-try to find a place to stash my computer/books, if I don't have a roof over my head for a few days or weeks
-organize all of my belongings so that I know exactly what I have, and how much space it takes
-be extremely strict with my habits so that I can carry out these things

With regards to employment, I have never had a job before. I have an Honors GED (yay -_-).

So, any constructive advice is good advice. You can ask pretty much any question and I will answer it, because of the circumstances.

If you know someone near Seattle who would let me stay in a room for a little while, up to a month or two, that would be very helpful as well. I'm extremely introverted (quiet), and am very considerate of others. I'm also a decent conversationalist if the topic is intellectual in nature. All that is really necessary short term is a room with a bed, enough space for clothes and grooming products, the room hopefully warmer than outside, access to a refrigerator so that I can put a few items that I purchase into it, and access to a shower and sink. I have very little money but I'd try to contribute what I could, especially after I am hired somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I have read your thread and I'm afraid I can't do a lot from The Netherlands.

I hope you get it solved soon. All the best.

G037H3 said:
Considering that, I'm rapidly planning the next few days so that I may, namely:

-apply for several hundred jobs in less than a week
-apply for governmental job placement services
-apply for food stamps
-try to find a cheap room to stay in (biggest issue after finding a job)

What's preventing you from doing that?

What's preventing you from talking to your house owner?

Andre said:
Okay, I have read your thread and I'm afraid I can't do a lot from The Netherlands.

I hope you get it solved soon. All the best.

Thanks. =/

Math Is Hard said:
Do you have any money saved? Maybe you could find something right away on Craigs List:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/roo?query=&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=350

The question of having a tiny bit of $ is up in the air. Two months ago, I tried to put a $600 money order into my checking account. The bank flubbed it and now I'm still waiting for that $...without it I'm much more screwed than with it. Also, yes, I am going to look into craigslist. ._.

rootX said:
What's preventing you from doing that?

What's preventing you from talking to your house owner?

First question: what?

Second question: They're a drug addict. I don't want to make the situation worse.

You know it's illegal for them to try and kick you out after accepting your rent, right? It's also illegal for them to kick you out without 30 days notice in most (if not all) states.

What happens if you simply refuse to leave?

You know it's illegal for them to try and kick you out after accepting your rent, right?
It's cash, I have no proof of whether or not I pay.
It's also illegal for them to kick you out without 30 days notice in most (if not all) states.
I think it's 3 days notice? I'm in Lynnwood, WA. I read it somewhere...idk, I'm way too freaked out to handle details, but it is important. I doubt there are many lawyers on this site though, aha. Also, this person doesn't care about legality, she's been a drug addict for over 30 years, and lives without working by defrauding the state.
What happens if you simply refuse to leave?
I was told that the blankets in my room will be taken, etc.

G037H3 said:
The question of having a tiny bit of $ is up in the air. Two months ago, I tried to put a $600 money order into my checking account. The bank flubbed it and now I'm still waiting for that $...without it I'm much more screwed than with it.

Two months is an awful long time for the bank to resolve the problem. Can you get down there tomorrow? Let them know you are in dire straights and need that money ASAP.

Well, here're the laws for that state:

http://www.wsba.org/media/publications/pamphlets/landlord-tenant.htm

And here's the AG's website:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ResidentialLT/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
G037H3 said:

That might not matter as much as you might think. Maybe from now on at least shell over an extra two dollars for a money order at the post office and pay with that.

I was told that the blankets in my room will be taken, etc.
Definitely not legal.

G037H3 said:

You can make proof. Write up a contract or a receipt or something and make him sign it before you give him the cash. If he still pulls something, take him to Judge Judy. She'd totally appreciate that you made up a contract.

Math Is Hard said:
Two months is an awful long time for the bank to resolve the problem. Can you get down there tomorrow? Let them know you are in dire straights and need that money ASAP.

I already have, but I'll try again :D. Tomorrow I'm signing up for WorkSource, applying for food stamps, going to the bank about the money order, and going to the mall to ask lots of retail places if they're hiring.

As for habits, I've already completely cut out all of my math/programming studies, and all of my recreational internet perusing.

Newai said:
Well, here're the laws for that state:

http://www.wsba.org/media/publications/pamphlets/landlord-tenant.htm

And here's the AG's website:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ResidentialLT/default.aspx

Thank you for the resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
G037H3 said:
Thank you for the resources.

Sure. BTW, if my landlord took my blankets, or anything, out of my apartment over a rent payment dispute, I'd have her arrested. Or at least file a complaint.

And maybe that would reflect poorly on her if she tried a forced eviction - which she would need the police to administer. (At least accord. to rules in my state.)

That might not matter as much as you might think. Maybe from now on at least shell over an extra two dollars for a money order at the post office and pay with that.

That's a possibility. I think 7-11 does money orders as well. Would it make any difference which one I went with? Also, can I convert a money order back into cash if they won't accept the money order?

Definitely not legal.

The blankets don't belong to me. Also, what recourse do I have if they do illegal things? =(

G037H3 said:
That's a possibility. I think 7-11 does money orders as well. Would it make any difference which one I went with? Also, can I convert a money order back into cash if they won't accept the money order?

I suggest money orders as at least an alternative because the PO keeps records. I can't say for 7-11, but maybe if you photocopy the MO after filling it out, and note the serial number?

The blankets don't belong to me. Also, what recourse do I have if they do illegal things? =(
Maybe not your blankets, but some states/most states? have "warranties of habitability." In other words, it's her obligation to provide a safe, clean, comfortable environment. Varies among states. You really need to talk to a lawyer.

Your recourse is to ask the police for assistance whenever anyone does anything illegally.

Here's what looks like the relevant laws on the matter for your state:

http://accessevictions.com/landlord-tenant-law/washington-eviction-process/
The Eviction Process – an Overview
Step 1. The Eviction Notice

The eviction process, with few exceptions, begins with a notice. The most common include: for non-payment of rent, a three-day-notice-to-pay-or-vacate; for failure to comply with a term of the lease, a ten-day-notice-to-comply-or-vacate; for waste or nuisance a three-day-quit-notice; or a notice to terminate a tenancy. Eviction notice forms may be downloaded for free.

While the landlord may serve more than one type of notice, this will cause problems if the notices are inconsistent. For example, a landlord would be unwise to serve a nuisance notice in combination with other notices. Consult an attorney if unsure which notices to serve.

Step 2. Initiating the Eviction Litigation – The Summons and Complaint

If the tenant fails to comply with the notice, the next step in the eviction is to initiate litigation. This is done by serving the tenant with a summons and complaint. The tenant must answer the summons by the deadline specified, generally 7-10 days from the date of service. Because the landlord is a party to the action, the landlord may not serve the summons and complaint.

Step 3. Default or a Show Cause Hearing

A. Default

If there is no response to the summons and complaint relief may be obtained from the court by default without notice to the tenant. In Washington a defendant, including a tenant, does not have to do a lot to appear. Even a phone call could be treated as an appearance.

OR

B. The Show Cause Hearing

If the tenant makes an appearance, even an informal one, a hearing is required. The tenant must be given notice of the hearing. The tenant must show cause at this hearing as to why you are not entitled to possession and a judgment for rent immediately, i.e. without the need for a trial. (Unless service was by alternative means, in which case you are only entitled to possession but not a judgment.)

The landlord or property manager must attend the hearing.

The show cause order may be served at the time the summons and complaint are served or any time afterwards. If the tenant responds to am unfiled summons, a show cause hearing must be set to continue the eviction process. Because of this tenant right to “automatically” delay the eviction process consider serving the show cause order with the summons and complaint.

Step 4. The Sheriff Steps In

After the writ of restitution is obtained, whether by default or at the show cause hearing, the sheriff will serve it. The tenant will have three business days to vacate, not including the day of service.

If the tenant does not vacate the premises in this time-frame you must contact the sheriff’s civil department and arrange a physical eviction.

G037H3 said:

Won't accept the MO? You really need to talk to a lawyer.

G037H3 said:

1) You can buy blankets incredibly cheap

2) Seriously? You've never heard of the police?

I suggest money orders as at least an alternative because the PO keeps records. I can't say for 7-11, but maybe if you photocopy the MO after filling it out, and note the serial number?

Well, maybe the money order in addition to making them sign a thing saying I paid December rent?
Maybe not your blankets, but some states/most states? have "warranties of habitability." In other words, it's her obligation to provide a safe, clean, comfortable environment. Varies among states. You really need to talk to a lawyer.
I see.
Your recourse is to ask the police for assistance whenever anyone does anything illegally.

The issue is that I grew up in a very abusive household, so I'm in the dark as to my legal rights...

Newai said:
Here's what looks like the relevant laws on the matter for your state:

http://accessevictions.com/landlord-tenant-law/washington-eviction-process/

OMG that looks way worse than the first link you shared. I think the thing they're trying to do is the three-day-pay-or-vacate thing D:
So:

* is December 4th the last day of the 3 day thing, or the day I can be evicted, technically?

* if I pay, I'm good for December, right?

fklasjklfjaklsofejafiojoaejif <---sorry, freaking out

Newai said:

She is *crazy*. Pill addict for over 30 years = crazy. Seriously. Lying, manipulative person. Even without the possible issue of being homeless because of her, I have to get out anyways, it's not a positive environment.

Newai said:

I don't have money, and I don't know how to deal with the legal process/police.

Jack21222 said:
1) You can buy blankets incredibly cheap

2) Seriously? You've never heard of the police?

Right now I have about $100, less than 3 days of food, and I need to buy a winter coat. Did I mention I have no job, and the money order thing is messed up? :)

2. abusive childhood -> messed up perspective of my own rights, tendency to blame myself for things that go wrong...I'm trying to figure these things out, really

G037H3 said:
The issue is that I grew up in a very abusive household, so I'm in the dark as to my legal rights...
Which is why you need to talk to an attorney. You don't pay to talk to them; you pay them to work for you. There are legal services that offer low-cost or free help to people who can't pay. I'm sure the court house in your jurisdiction can point you in the right direction.

G037H3 said:
OMG that looks way worse than the first link you shared. I think the thing they're trying to do is the three-day-pay-or-vacate thing D:
So:

* is December 4th the last day of the 3 day thing, or the day I can be evicted, technically?

* if I pay, I'm good for December, right?

fklasjklfjaklsofejafiojoaejif <---sorry, freaking out

I don't know. Which is why you need to make a phone call:
http://washington.statelawyers.com/

Three days. Rough terms in your state.
http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-issue-residential-rent-eviction-notices-in-washington
Here are the rules for timing in evictions.

Newai said:
Which is why you need to talk to an attorney. You don't pay to talk to them; you pay them to work for you. There are legal services that offer low-cost or free help to people who can't pay. I'm sure the court house in your jurisdiction can point you in the right direction.

I don't know. Which is why you need to make a phone call:
http://washington.statelawyers.com/

Three days. Rough terms in your state.
http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-issue-residential-rent-eviction-notices-in-washington
Here are the rules for timing in evictions.

My stomach is a mossy fire trapped in a spring. Bah. X_X

I'll ask about legal help tomorrow morning when I'm at the WorkSource place. :)

At least when you go to bed tonight, put the worrying aside for now and leave that for later.

Best of luck and fortune to you.

It would be ideal if your December rent money could go to a new landlord. I don't know if that's too much to hope for, but there could be people looking to rent a room right away.

I wish you the best of luck. Maybe that friend you mentioned would be able to let you couch surf for a couple of weeks just so you could get out of where you are now.

Newai said:
At least when you go to bed tonight, put the worrying aside for now and leave that for later.

Best of luck and fortune to you.

I'll try. As for the job thing:

9% unemployment

I'm not in the bottom 9% of people who want to work

Therefore I should be able to find a job

This is what I've been telling myself today, at least. :)

Math Is Hard said:
It would be ideal if your December rent money could go to a new landlord. I don't know if that's too much to hope for, but there could be people looking to rent a room right away.

I wish you the best of luck. Maybe that friend you mentioned would be able to let you couch surf for a couple of weeks just so you could get out of where you are now.

Is probably too much to hope for... =(

I'm confused, what friend? My only friend lives in Canada, and can no longer support me.

G037H3 said:
Is probably too much to hope for... =(

I'm confused, what friend? My only friend lives in Canada, and can no longer support me.

I apologize. I misread part of your first post.:redface:

But have you got any prospects as far as friends who might help you out?

Math Is Hard said:
I apologize. I misread part of your first post.:redface:

But have you got any prospects as far as friends who might help you out?

Nope, I moved here from across the country with pretty much nothing, I had no friends where I came from, and I have no friends here.

G037H3 said:
Nope, I moved here from across the country with pretty much nothing, I had no friends where I came from, and I have no friends here.

If you had stayed on this coast, I'd have a room for you in Baltimore. Seattle's so dreary anyway.