Why Is My Solution 9x+-11 Incorrect for the Algebra Problem -6(x+2)+10+3(x-3)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Calista A
  • Start date
In summary: That is not the same as 9x+-11. In summary, The problem is to simplify the expression -6(x+2)+10+3(x-3). The correct answer is -3x-11. The misunderstanding may have been caused by the incorrect addition of -6x and 3x, which should result in -3x, not 9x.
Calista A
this is a problem that i am working on -6(x+2)+10+3(x-3) in which i got the answer of 9x+-11 and apparently i am wrong, can someone help me understand this more.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$-6(x+2) + 10 + 3(x-3) = -6x - 12 + 10 + 3x - 9$

now, combine like terms

skeeter said:
$-6(x+2) + 10 + 3(x-3) = -6x - 12 + 10 + 3x - 9$

now, combine like terms
i added -6x to 3x and got 9x so now i have 9x-12+10 - 9 is this correct?

Calista A said:

you can combine the numbers,

\(\displaystyle -12+10-9\)

as well

Calista A said:

-6x + 3x is not 9x, it's -3x.

Prove It said:
-6x + 3x is not 9x, it's -3x.
why... this is what i was stuck on, i thought you add on both sides which is why i was getting 9x

what “both sides” ?
what you posted is a single expression, not an equation.

The sum of two terms in an expression with opposite signs is the difference between the two terms, and keeping the sign of the greater term.

Calista A said:
why... this is what i was stuck on, i thought you add on both sides which is why i was getting 9x
How did you get -12 + 10 - 9 = -11 but not -6x + 3x = (-6 + 3)x = -3x? The addition of numbers works the same way!

-Dan

Calista A said:
this is a problem that i am working on -6(x+2)+10+3(x-3) in which i got the answer of 9x+-11 and apparently i am wrong, can someone help me understand this more.
First "+-11" is not a number and makes no sense.
-6(x+ 2)= -6x- 12
3(x- 3)= 3x- 9

Together they add to (-6+ 3)x- 12- 9= -3x- 21

Adding 10 to that: -3x- 11.

Related to Why Is My Solution 9x+-11 Incorrect for the Algebra Problem -6(x+2)+10+3(x-3)?

1. What is the first step in solving this problem?

The first step in solving this problem is to combine like terms. In this case, we can combine the 9x and -11 terms to get 9x-11.

2. How do I solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x, we need to isolate it on one side of the equation. In this case, we can add 11 to both sides to get 9x = 11. Then, we can divide both sides by 9 to get the final solution of x = 11/9.

3. Can I check my answer?

Yes, you can always check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation. In this case, when we substitute x = 11/9 into the equation, we get 9(11/9) - 11 = 11 - 11 = 0, which confirms our solution.

4. Is there another method for solving this problem?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving equations. Another common method is to use the distributive property to eliminate parentheses, then combine like terms and solve for x.

5. What if I encounter a more complex problem with multiple variables?

If you encounter a problem with multiple variables, the general approach is still the same. Start by combining like terms and isolating the variable you want to solve for. If there are still multiple variables present, you may need to use substitution or elimination methods to solve for the remaining variables.