Solving an equation: finding the arc length

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the equation for the length of the arc based on changes in the given height parameter. This can be done by using the known radius and the tangent line drawn from the height point to the circle. Alternatively, one can also draw a line from the height point to the center of the circle to aid in calculations. However, further instructions or hints will not be provided until the individual shows effort in attempting the problem themselves.
rockwusho
hello every body ..
According to the picture:

03283495774799076533.gif

Circle radius (Radius) and height (High) is known to us. Given that the height of the draw the tangent line , I looking for the equation for length of the arc (Arc Length) was calculated based on height changes.

(sorry for my written objections!)

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The tangent and the height form two sides of a triangle, so you can calculate the third side.
That side is also a chord of the circle, and from a chord length and radius you can calculate arc length.

Give it a try and let me know where you get stuck!

PS If it would be possible for you to scale that image down a bit, that would be great!

welcome to pf!

hello rockwusho! welcome to pf! :smile:

alternatively, whenever you see a tangent at a point, always draw the line from that point to the centre of the circle, because … ? :wink:

I think the problem was not described clearly. The problem is: the radius of the circle and the parameter High are known.
Given that the line from the top of High is tangent to the circle, we are looking for the equation relating the length of the arc to the parameter high...

rockwusho, the problem is very clear

use either Compuchip's method or mine …

show us what you get​

Sorry, I don't know what compuchips method is. What do you mean by that?

I still waiting for your descriptions ...

rockwusho said:
Sorry, I don't know what compuchips method is. What do you mean by that?
CompuChip is the guy who wrote the first reply you got in this thread.

rockwusho said:
I still waiting for your descriptions ...
Everyone else is still waiting for yours. We will only give you hints, not complete solutions. When you've been given a hint or two, you need to try to use them. If you're having problems with this, you need to explain what the problem is.

Related to Solving an equation: finding the arc length

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It consists of an equal sign (=) and expressions on either side.

2. How do you solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign and simplify the other side. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curved line or arc. In mathematics, it is calculated as the product of the central angle and the radius of the circle.

4. How do you find the arc length?

To find the arc length, you can use the formula L = rθ, where L represents the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle measured in radians.

5. Why is finding the arc length important?

Finding the arc length is important in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It helps us calculate distances along curved lines or arcs, which is essential for understanding and solving real-world problems.