Find s, the arc length of a circle

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the arc length of a circle, converting from radians to meters, and using a calculator to convert a result to a decimal approximation. The conversation also mentioned using the conversion equation of 180 degrees to pi radians.
mathdad
The question is asking me to find s, the arc length of a circle.
How do I convert my answer in radians to the book's answer 7.54 meters?

Theta = 4pi/5

radius = 3 meters

See picture.

View attachment 7876

Attachments

• sDraw_2018-02-28_00-46-55.png
    sDraw_2018-02-28_00-46-55.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 78
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your result is already using radians (which are dimensionless) for the angle subtended, but your result will be a length, in meters because the given radius is in meters.. Just use your calculator to convert your result to a decimal approximation.

This is what I meant. How can I use the calculator to convert?

RTCNTC said:
This is what I meant. How can I use the calculator to convert?

What sort of calculator do you have? Can you type in $12 \pi /5$? Usually there is a little $\lhd \rhd$ symbol which will convert to decimal form.

$12\pi/5\approx7.5398$

greg1313 said:
$12\pi/5\approx7.5398$

See greg1313 is his own calculator :p

I found my error out. I was using 180 for pi.

RTCNTC said:
I found my error out. I was using 180 for pi.

$180^{\circ}=\pi\,\text{rad}.$ That's your unit conversion equation.

Thank you everyone.

Related to Find s, the arc length of a circle

1. What is the formula for finding the arc length of a circle?

The formula for finding the arc length of a circle is s = rθ, where s is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians.

2. How do you convert degrees to radians?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula θ (in radians) = θ (in degrees) * π/180.

3. Can you find the arc length of a circle without knowing the central angle?

Yes, you can find the arc length of a circle without knowing the central angle. You will need to know the radius of the circle and the length of the arc segment. Then, you can use the formula s = r(θ/2) to find the arc length.

4. How is the arc length of a circle related to its circumference?

The arc length of a circle is a portion of its circumference. The circumference is the distance around the entire circle, while the arc length is the distance along a portion of the circle's circumference.

5. Can you find the arc length of a circle if you only know the diameter?

Yes, you can find the arc length of a circle if you only know the diameter. To do this, you will need to divide the diameter by 2 to find the radius, and then use the formula s = rθ to find the arc length, where θ is the central angle in radians.