Finding Chord length given arc length and arc height?

In summary, to find the length of a chord of a circle, you will need to know the radius and use the formula: chord length = 2 * radius * sin(arc length/2). The spreadsheet you found may not have given the correct answer because it did not include the radius in the calculation.
tomadom
I am in the process of making a tent and need to get two curved surfaces to meet.
I need to find the length of a Chord of a circle given that I have the Arc length and Arc Height (that's all), no radius or anything else.

I suspect that I will need a radius to find this. Or am I missing a point here?

The below spreadsheet I found on the web proports to be able to do this but the answer is not correct. The edges of my material does not match up when I calculate the Chord length given that I've entered the Arc Length and the Arc Height.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/gifs/ChordMath.xls

Attachments

• Arc_calcs.png
    Arc_calcs.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the scientific community for help with your tent project. It sounds like you are trying to create a curved surface for your tent and are struggling to find the correct length for the chord of the circle.

You are correct in thinking that you will need to know the radius of the circle in order to find the chord length. The radius is an essential component of any circle and is necessary for calculating the chord length. Without it, the calculation will not be accurate.

In the spreadsheet you found on the web, it is likely that the incorrect answer is due to the fact that the radius was not included in the calculation. I would recommend finding the radius of your circle and then using the formula for chord length, which is: chord length = 2 * radius * sin(arc length/2).

I hope this helps with your project and please let us know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your tent!

1. How do you find the chord length given arc length and arc height?

To find the chord length, you can use the formula c = 2 * sqrt((r^2) - (h^2)), where c is the chord length, r is the radius, and h is the arc height. This formula is based on the Pythagorean theorem.

2. Can you explain the Pythagorean theorem and how it relates to finding chord length?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the context of finding chord length, the radius of the circle is the hypotenuse, and the arc height and chord length are the other two sides.

3. What is the significance of finding chord length in geometry?

Finding chord length is important in geometry because it allows us to calculate the distance between two points on a circle. Chord length is also used in various geometric constructions and proofs.

4. Can you provide an example of finding chord length given arc length and arc height?

Sure, let's say we have a circle with a radius of 5 inches and an arc height of 3 inches. Using the formula c = 2 * sqrt((r^2) - (h^2)), we can calculate the chord length as c = 2 * sqrt((5^2) - (3^2)) = 2 * sqrt(25 - 9) = 2 * sqrt(16) = 2 * 4 = 8 inches.

5. Are there any other methods for finding chord length?

Yes, there are other methods for finding chord length, such as using trigonometric functions or dividing the circle into smaller arcs and using the chord length formula for each one. However, the formula c = 2 * sqrt((r^2) - (h^2)) is the most commonly used and efficient method.