Arc length & similar questions

In summary, the pirate ship ride at the fair has a maximum swing angle of 65 degrees and a 40 ft radius arm. The arc length traveled by the center of the ship between the two maximum points is approximately 102.1 feet. The maximum height reached by the center of the ship is approximately 23.095 feet above the lowest point.
fluffertoes
Hello! I really don't understand this concept, and I have an example problem that I am working on that I just CANNOT figure out! Any help? Thanks so much in advance! A group of people get on a pirate ship ride at the fair. This ride is a swinging pendulum with a maximum swing angle of 65 degrees from the center of the ship in either direction. The arm of the pendulum holding the ship has a 40 ft radius and the ship is 22 feet long with the last seats positioned 1 foot from the end of the ship.
What is the arc length traveled by the center of the ship between the two maximum points?
ALSO>>>>
What is the maximum height reached by the center of the ship? I attached a picture for reference! Thanks so much! :)View attachment 6233

Attachments

• rsz_1pirate_ship.jpg
    rsz_1pirate_ship.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
fluffertoes said:
Hello! I really don't understand this concept, and I have an example problem that I am working on that I just CANNOT figure out! Any help? Thanks so much in advance! A group of people get on a pirate ship ride at the fair. This ride is a swinging pendulum with a maximum swing angle of 65 degrees from the center of the ship in either direction. The arm of the pendulum holding the ship has a 40 ft radius and the ship is 22 feet long with the last seats positioned 1 foot from the end of the ship.
I found that the arc length traveled by the center of the ship between the two maximum points is 40 feet. Is this correct?
ALSO>>>>
What is the maximum height reached by the center of the ship? I attached a picture for reference! Thanks so much! :)

Between the two maximum points, an angle of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 130^{\circ} \end{align*}$ is swept out, so the arclength would be

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathcal{l} &= \frac{130}{360} \cdot 2\,\pi \cdot 45\,\textrm{ft} \\ &= \frac{65\,\pi}{2} \,\textrm{ft} \\ &\approx 102.1\,\textrm{ft} \end{align*}$

Prove It said:
Between the two maximum points, an angle of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 130^{\circ} \end{align*}$ is swept out, so the arclength would be

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathcal{l} &= \frac{130}{360} \cdot 2\,\pi \cdot 45\,\textrm{ft} \\ &= \frac{65\,\pi}{2} \,\textrm{ft} \\ &\approx 102.1\,\textrm{ft} \end{align*}$

The radius is 40 feet, not 45 feet. So technically wouldn't the arc length end up being (in terms of pi (π)):

l=130/360⋅ (2π⋅40ft) = 260π/9 feet

Yes:

\(\displaystyle s=r\theta=\left(40\text{ ft}\right)\left(2\cdot65^{\circ}\frac{\pi}{180^{\circ}}\right)=\frac{260\pi}{9}\,\text{ft}\approx90.76\text{ ft}\)

To find the maximum height (above the lowest point) of the middle of the ship, we can observe that the height $h$ of the ship in terms of the angular displacement $\theta$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle h=r(1-\cos(\theta))\)

So, use $r=40\text{ ft}$ and $\theta=65^{\circ}$ in the above formula to get the maximum height of the center of the ship. :D

MarkFL said:
Yes:

\(\displaystyle s=r\theta=\left(40\text{ ft}\right)\left(2\cdot65^{\circ}\frac{\pi}{180^{\circ}}\right)=\frac{260\pi}{9}\,\text{ft}\approx90.76\text{ ft}\)

To find the maximum height (above the lowest point) of the middle of the ship, we can observe that the height $h$ of the ship in terms of the angular displacement $\theta$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle h=r(1-\cos(\theta))\)

So, use $r=40\text{ ft}$ and $\theta=65^{\circ}$ in the above formula to get the maximum height of the center of the ship. :D

So would that leave me with:

(40)Cos(65°) = 16.9
40 - 16.9 = 23.095 feet

What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of an arc. It is typically measured in units such as inches or centimeters.

How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated using the formula L = 2πrθ/360, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in degrees.

What is the difference between arc length and circumference?

Arc length refers to the distance along a curved line of an arc, while circumference refers to the distance around the entire circle. Arc length is a portion of the circumference.

Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a distance.

Are there any real-world applications of arc length?

Arc length is used in many real-world situations, such as calculating the distance traveled along a curved path, determining the length of a wire needed for a specific electrical circuit, or measuring the length of a curved road or river.