Solve Linear Inhomogeneous 2nd Order ODE - Alvin's Question on Yahoo Answers

In summary, we are given a nonhomogeneous ODE and we use variation of parameters to find a particular solution. We solve a system of equations and obtain a particular solution, which is then added to the general solution to get the final answer.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Solve the given nonhomogeneous ODE by variation of parameters or undetermined coefficients. Give a general sol?

Solve the given nonhomogeneous ODE by variation of parameters or undetermined coefficients. Give a general solution.
Please show work so I can learn. Thanks!

View attachment 2235

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Attachments

• alvin.png
    alvin.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 50
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Alvin,

We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle y''+y=\csc(x)\)

I will use variation of parameters because I don't see how the annihilate the right side of the equation.

We see that a fundamental solution set for the corresponding homogeneous equation are:

\(\displaystyle y_1(x)=\cos(x)\)

\(\displaystyle y_2(x)=\sin(x)\)

And so we take as our particular solution:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=v_1(x)\cos(x)+v_2(x)\sin(x)\)

Next, we want to solve the system:

\(\displaystyle \cos(x)v_1'+\sin(x)v_2'=0\)

\(\displaystyle -\sin(x)v_1'+\cos(x)v_2'=\csc(x)\)

From the first equation, we find:

\(\displaystyle v_1'=-\tan(x)v_2'\)

And so substituting into the second equation, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^2(x)}{\cos(x)}v_2'+\cos(x)v_2'=\csc(x)\)

Multiply through by $\cos(x)$:

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(x)v_2'+\cos^2(x)v_2'=\cot(x)\)

Apply a Pythagorean identity on the left:

\(\displaystyle v_2'=\cot(x)\)

Hence, this implies:

\(\displaystyle v_1'=-1\)

Integrating, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle v_1=-x\)

\(\displaystyle v_2=\ln|\sin(x)|\)

And so out particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=-x\cos(x)+\sin(x)\ln|\sin(x)|\)

And then by superposition, we obtain the general solution:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=y_h(x)+y_p(x)=A\cos(x)+B\sin(x)-x\cos(x)+\sin(x)\ln|\sin(x)|\)

Related to Solve Linear Inhomogeneous 2nd Order ODE - Alvin's Question on Yahoo Answers

1. What is a linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE?

A linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable, as well as a first derivative and the dependent variable itself. It is considered "linear" because the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in a linear fashion, and "inhomogeneous" because it includes a non-zero constant term. It can be represented in the form of a polynomial equation.

2. What is the process for solving a linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE?

The process for solving a linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE involves several steps. First, the equation must be rearranged into standard form, with the second derivative isolated on one side of the equation. Then, a complementary function is found by setting the inhomogeneous term to zero and solving for the dependent variable. Next, a particular integral is found by substituting a specific form of the inhomogeneous term into the original equation. Finally, the general solution is found by adding the complementary function and particular integral together.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODEs?

Some common techniques used to solve linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODEs include the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The method of undetermined coefficients involves guessing a particular integral based on the form of the inhomogeneous term. Variation of parameters involves using a general form of the particular integral and solving for the coefficients. Laplace transforms convert the differential equation into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using standard algebraic techniques.

4. Are there any special cases when solving linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODEs?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODEs. One special case is when the inhomogeneous term is a constant or polynomial function. In this case, the particular integral can be found by simply substituting the inhomogeneous term into the original equation. Another special case is when the inhomogeneous term is a sinusoidal function, in which case the method of undetermined coefficients can be used to find the particular integral.

5. How can I check if my solution to a linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your solution to a linear inhomogeneous 2nd order ODE is correct. One way is to substitute your solution into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to plot your solution and compare it to the graph of the original equation. If they match, then your solution is likely correct. Additionally, you can use software or online tools to solve the equation and compare your solution to the one given by the computer.