Question about solving linear first order non-homogeneous ODEs

CGandC
TL;DR Summary
Why solution of ## y'+2xy = 8x ## is ## y=4+C e^{-x^2} ## and not ## y=e^{-C_1}(4+C_2 e^{-x^2}) ##?
A general equation for linear first order non-homogeneous ODE is: ## y' + a(x)y = b(x) ##.
The procedure to solve ( assuming ## a(x) , b(x) ## are continuous so that the fundamental theorem of calculus could be used ) it is to multiply it by ## e^{A(x)} ## ( here ## A'(x) = a(x) ## ) s.t. ## A(x) = \int^x { a(t)dt } ## and we get ## (ye^{A(x)})'=b(x)e^{A(x)} ##.
Hence ## ye^{A(x)}=\int^x {b(t)e^{A(t)}dt + C} ##, hence ## y(x) = e^{-A(x)}(\int^x {b(t)e^{A(t)}dt } + C ) ##.

The question is: why when we consider## A(x) = \int^x { a(t)dt } ## we do not add another constant? , i.e., why are we not writing ## A(x) = \int^x { a(t)dt } + \tilde{C} ## where ## \tilde{C} ## is another constant?.

Example: Consider ## y'+2xy = 8x ##. I tried solving it as follows:
Here ## A'(x) = 2x ## and so ## A(x) = x^2 + C_1 ##. Multiply both sides of ODE by ## e^{A(x)} = e^{x^2 + C_1 } ## and so ## (ye^{x^2 +C_1} )' = 8xe^{x^2 } ##, hence ## ye^{x^2 +C_1} = \int^x 8te^{t^2 }dt = 4e^{x^2} + C_2 ##; from this we have ## y=e^{-C_1}(4+C_2 e^{-x^2}) ##.
However, the "true" solution according to the procedure above is ## y=4+C e^{-x^2} ## ( only one constant ). Why is it so? It seems to me like the constant part ## e^{-C_1} ## cannot be "intermingled" into the other constant ## C_2 ## and that we must have ## y=e^{-C_1}(4+C_2 e^{-x^2}) ##.

Thanks for any help!______________________

Edit: as I was typing this I just noticed that when I multiplied both side and that I've written ## (ye^{x^2 +C_1} )' = 8xe^{x^2 } ## - this is wrong since it must be ## (ye^{x^2 +C_1} )' = 8xe^{x^2 + C_1 } ## , this was my mistake :headbang:🫣 ( and then it turns out the constant ## C_1 ## doesn't come up in the solution so it doesn't matter if we write ## A(x) = \int^{x} a(t)dt ## or ## A(x) = \int^{x} a(t)dt + C_1 ## )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you answered your own question, right?

Likes CGandC
Just to confirm your own answer
CGandC said:
Example: Consider y′+2xy=8x. I tried solving it as follows:
[tex]\frac{dy}{8-2y}=xdx[/tex]
[tex]\ln |y-4|=-x^2+C_1[/tex]
[tex]y=4+C_2e^{-x^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes CGandC
Mark44 said:
So you answered your own question, right?
Yes, :-p

1. What is a linear first order non-homogeneous ODE?

A linear first order non-homogeneous ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives, where the highest derivative is of order one and the equation is not homogeneous (the function is not equal to zero).

2. How do you solve a linear first order non-homogeneous ODE?

To solve a linear first order non-homogeneous ODE, you can use the method of variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients. Both methods involve finding a particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation and combining it with the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous ODE?

A homogeneous ODE has a function and its derivatives, where the function is equal to zero. This means that the equation does not depend on any external factors. In contrast, a non-homogeneous ODE has a function and its derivatives, where the function is not equal to zero. This means that the equation depends on external factors.

4. Can a linear first order non-homogeneous ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear first order non-homogeneous ODE can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation can have multiple terms, and each term can be combined with a particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation to form a different solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving linear first order non-homogeneous ODEs?

Linear first order non-homogeneous ODEs are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of various systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.