Find a Particular Solution y_p for 2nd Order ODE at Yahoo Answers

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, to find the particular solution of the differential equation 2y′′+6y′+9y=sin^2(x), we use the Method of Undetermined Coefficients with the differential operator A=D(D^2+4). After solving for the coefficients, the particular solution is y_p(x)=\frac{1}{18}-\frac{1}{290}\cos(2x)-\frac{6}{145}\sin(2x).
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find a particular solution y_p of the differential equation 2y′′+6y′+9y=sin^2(x)?

Find a particular solution y_p of the differential equation
2y′′+6y′+9y=sin^2(x).

using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients. Primes denote derivatives with respect to x. Thank you.

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello llllllllllll,

We are given the second order inhomogeneous ODE:

\(\displaystyle 2y''+6y'+9y=\sin^2(x)\)

Using a power reduction formula, we may write:

\(\displaystyle 2y′′+6y′+9y=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)\)

Observing that the differential operator:

\(\displaystyle A\equiv D\left(D^2+4 \right)\)

annihilates the RHS of the ODE, and that none of the roots of this operator are the characteristic roots of the associated homogenous ODE, we know the particular solution must take the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=A+B\cos(2x)+C\sin(2x)\)

Computing the derivatives of this solution, we find:

\(\displaystyle y_p'(x)=-2B\sin(2x)+2C\cos(2x)\)

\(\displaystyle y_p''(x)=-4B\cos(2x)-4C\sin(2x)\)

Substituting into the ODE, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 2\left(-4B\cos(2x)-4C\sin(2x) \right)+6\left(-2B\sin(2x)+2C\cos(2x) \right)+9\left(A+B\cos(2x)+C\sin(2x) \right)=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)\)

\(\displaystyle 9A+(B+12C)\cos(2x)+(C-12B)\sin(2x)=\frac{1}{2}+\left(-\frac{1}{2} \right)\cos(2x)+0\cdot\sin(2x)\)

Equating coefficients, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle 9A=\frac{1}{2}\implies A=\frac{1}{18}\)

\(\displaystyle B+12C=-\frac{1}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle C-12B=0\implies C=12B\implies B=-\frac{1}{290},\,C=-\frac{6}{145}\)

Thus, the particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=\frac{1}{18}-\frac{1}{290}\cos(2x)-\frac{6}{145}\sin(2x)\)

Related to Find a Particular Solution y_p for 2nd Order ODE at Yahoo Answers

1. How do I find a particular solution for a 2nd order ODE?

To find a particular solution for a 2nd order ODE, you need to first determine the general solution of the ODE. Then, you can use initial conditions or boundary conditions to solve for the constants in the general solution and obtain a specific particular solution.

2. Can I use any method to find a particular solution?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to find a particular solution for a 2nd order ODE, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and the annihilator method. The choice of method may depend on the form of the ODE and the given boundary or initial conditions.

3. Do I need to know the general solution to find a particular solution?

Yes, the general solution is needed to find a particular solution. The general solution contains the constants that will be determined using the given initial or boundary conditions to obtain a particular solution.

4. Can I use software or calculators to find a particular solution?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can solve 2nd order ODEs and find particular solutions. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used in finding the particular solution to ensure accuracy and understanding of the solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes when finding a particular solution for a 2nd order ODE?

One common mistake is not considering all possible cases when using the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to account for all terms in the general solution and the given ODE. Another mistake is not checking the solution for validity, as sometimes the particular solution obtained may not satisfy the original ODE.