Second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a Second Order Non-homogeneous Linear Ordinary Differential Equation with a complex number alpha. The speaker is confused about the correct syntactical position of 'linear' and the usage of the word 'embark'. They are studying from Prof. Arthur Mattuck's lectures and are confused about lecture #13. The lecturer uses the operator P(D) to represent the left hand side of the equation and explains the solution when P(alpha) is not equal to 0 and when it is equal to 0. The speaker has doubts about a being a simple root of P(D) and the differentiation of P(D). The expert summarizer resolves the doubts by clarifying that a is a root of the polynomial P,
Hall
I shall not begin with expressing my annoyance at the perfect equality between the number of people studying ODE and the numbers of ways of solving the Second Order Non-homogeneous Linear Ordinary Differential Equation (I'm a little doubtful about the correct syntactical position of 'linear').

I'm studying from Prof. Arthur Mattuck's lectures, and it is the lecture #13 which is confusing me. He embarks on solving (if someone who has seen my other thread can he tell me whether I have used 'embark' (an intransitive verb) in a correct way?)
$$
\begin{align*}
y^{''} + Ay^{'} + By = e^{\alpha x} &&\textrm{where α is a complex number}
\end{align*}
$$
And writes the LHS as ##P(D) y## which I understand totally. The case when ##P(\alpha) \neq 0## is clear to me, the solution is
$$
y_p = \frac{e^{\alpha x} }{P(\alpha)}
$$
But when he moves to the case when ##P(\alpha) = 0##, I get a little confused. Though, I can prove
$$
\begin{align*}
P(D) e^{ax} u(x) = e^{ax} P(D+a) u(x) && \textrm{ it's no longer α, we got a there, but it is still complex}
\end{align*}
$$
Now, I don't understand things from time : 37:00 in the linked video. My doubts are thus:
  • He says "if a is simple root of P(D)" then the solution is ##y_p = \frac{x e^{ax} }{P'(a)}##. How can ##a## be a root of ##P(D)## which is an operator? The operator have a null space not a solution set. We should say if ##a## is a solution of polynomial ##P(x)##.
  • The second doubt is concerning the differentiation of ##P(D)##. I still don't understand what does a derivative of an operator mean, and above that with respect to another operator ##D##.
I hope my doubt shall be resolved.

Physics news on Phys.org
He's talking about the polynomial ##P##, which is just a polynomial. It is only when you take ##P(D)## that the entire thing becomes an operator. So simply consider what happens to the polynomial. (He should probably have written it has ##P(z)## or something like this.)

Likes Hall and topsquark
DrClaude said:
He's talking about the polynomial ##P##, which is just a polynomial. It is only when you take ##P(D)## that the entire thing becomes an operator. So simply consider what happens to the polynomial. (He should probably have written it has ##P(z)## or something like this.)
Thanks for clearing that.

I'm just wondering how he guessed ##y_p = \frac{x e^{ax} }{P'(a)}##? Yes, it works but how he got it?

1. What is a second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation?

A second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a function, as well as a first derivative and the function itself. It is called non-homogeneous because it contains a term that is not equal to zero, and linear because the highest power of the function and its derivatives is 1.

2. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is one where all terms are equal to zero, meaning that the function and its derivatives are the only variables in the equation. In contrast, a non-homogeneous differential equation contains a term that is not equal to zero, typically representing an external force or input.

3. What is the general form of a second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation?

The general form of a second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation is y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where y is the function, y' and y'' are its first and second derivatives, and p(x), q(x), and g(x) are functions of x.

4. How do you solve a second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation?

To solve a second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. The method of undetermined coefficients involves guessing a particular solution based on the form of the non-homogeneous term, while the method of variation of parameters involves finding a general solution and then using a variation of constants to find a particular solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equations?

Second order non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve acceleration, such as oscillating systems, electrical circuits, and motion of objects under the influence of external forces. They are also used in economics and biology to model population growth and other dynamic systems.