Sacrificing research to study abroad?

In summary: That way you can figure out what you're really interested in, and whether or not the research is right for you.In summary, if you are planning on doing graduate school in physics, it may be worth it to lose the extra research experience if you go to study abroad for a semester. However, there are other opportunities available through the NSF for studying abroad at the post-doc level.
Alexmer
I need some advice regarding studying abroad for someone planning on going to graduate school in physics.

I've always wanted to study abroad for a semester and I've heard nothing but great things about people's experiences. Last semester I got involved with a nuclear physics research group (mostly computational) and the P.I. has basically guaranteed me a spot throughout my undergrad as long as I remain competent. However, if I leave to study abroad for a semester then I'll likely lose my position. Is the study abroad experience worth losing the extra research experience? Does it look better to graduate schools that you've stuck with one research group the entire time?

I'm not sure how much potential there is for me to publish through this group.

Any input and personal experiences would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmer said:
I need some advice regarding studying abroad for someone planning on going to graduate school in physics.

I've always wanted to study abroad for a semester and I've heard nothing but great things about people's experiences. Last semester I got involved with a nuclear physics research group (mostly computational) and the P.I. has basically guaranteed me a spot throughout my undergrad as long as I remain competent. However, if I leave to study abroad for a semester then I'll likely lose my position. Is the study abroad experience worth losing the extra research experience? Does it look better to graduate schools that you've stuck with one research group the entire time?

I'm not sure how much potential there is for me to publish through this group.

Any input and personal experiences would be appreciated.

CERN used to have an REU site for US students. There may be some other international REU sites in physics.

If you are willing to wait, there are opportunities at the graduate level (Asia mostly) funded through the NSF.
There are more opportunities at the post-doc level.

There have been some threads here, as well, on US students obtaining graduate degrees in the UK.

Study abroad is difficult to do at the undergrad level in the us if you are science or engineering. I waited until my postdoc to do an international stint. It was quite interesting, and productive for me. I was overseas for two years, lived on my own, and experienced much more than I could have in a semester abroad. Oh yeah, and the foreign government paid me an excellent salary.

I'm in the same dilemma! I'm looking at doing a mathematics program in Budapest next year, even though I'm applying to physics grad schools. I think it depends on the type of study abroad program. If you're doing a physics-intensive (or maybe math-intensive) study abroad program, I think the study abroad is the way to go. If the study abroad program is just for fun... well, I dunno. What sort of program were you thinking about doing?

Also, I think it's better to do several types of research, rather than stick with one group for all of undergrad (especially if you won't publish anything).

1. What impact does studying abroad have on my research?

Studying abroad can have both positive and negative impacts on your research. On the positive side, it can expose you to new perspectives and methodologies that can enhance your research. It can also provide opportunities for collaborations and access to resources that may not be available in your home institution. On the negative side, studying abroad can disrupt your research progress and require you to adapt to a new environment and culture, which may affect your productivity.

2. Will sacrificing my research to study abroad hurt my career prospects?

It is unlikely that sacrificing your research to study abroad will have a negative impact on your career prospects. In fact, studying abroad can be viewed as a valuable experience that demonstrates your adaptability, independence, and global perspective. However, it is important to communicate with your research advisor and plan ahead to minimize any potential disruptions to your research.

3. How can I balance studying abroad and conducting my research?

Balancing studying abroad and conducting research can be challenging, but it is possible with proper planning and communication. Before leaving, discuss your plans with your research advisor and create a schedule that allows you to continue your research remotely or collaborate with researchers in your host institution. You can also consider incorporating your study abroad experience into your research, such as conducting comparative studies or collecting data in your host country.

4. What are the benefits of studying abroad for a scientist?

Studying abroad as a scientist can provide numerous benefits. It allows you to gain exposure to new research methodologies, techniques, and technologies that may not be available in your home institution. It also broadens your network and provides opportunities for collaborations with researchers from different backgrounds. Additionally, studying abroad can enhance your communication and adaptability skills, which are important for any scientist.

5. Are there any funding opportunities for scientists who want to study abroad?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for scientists who want to study abroad. Many universities and research institutions offer scholarships or grants specifically for researchers who want to study abroad. There are also international organizations and government agencies that provide funding for research and study abroad programs. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on to increase your chances of receiving funding.