Finding a research topic in the Aerospace field

• Other
  • Thread starter mimi10
  • Start date
mimi10
Hello everyone !
I'm an aerospace engineering graduate. This might be weird for everyone to come up with this type of title. Tbh, I've always given a topic to make case study or work on, so I barely have any idea about how to find a research topic in aerospace field. Like, I just go and hit a topic lets say "aerospace propulsion". I see lot of things popping up with vast number of subtopics which i'm unable to know what trend is moving on. What can I research on about after becoming an engineer ?. How to search for a new topic ? How can I stick on to the trend of Aerospace field ? How do you all do it (Searching for a topic - learning 'bout research gap) !?

At the end do suggest me some free resource like magazines and stuffs that are freely available.

Note: I neither had a career guidance mentor throughout my academic year in undergrads. I took a year off to know what I want. The most advice I've ever heard was to pursue specialization degree in order to keep on with research and development field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first step is to find a research advisor. It is not realistic to expect to perform well in research before someone shows you how to do it.

• Informative
Likes mimi10
That's why people enter PhD programs. :wink:

• Wow
Likes mimi10 and Vanadium 50
@mimi10 . In your other thread, you said you wanted to become a propulsion engineer and wrote:

mimi10 said:
I'm a college graduate. I want to pursue masters in the states, but they are asking me to have minimum 3 years of in-field experience in aerospace sector. It has been a year or so and I'm unable to shout for myself in the mass area crowd for myself in entry level position since experienced people are applying more and getting placed ;-;.

So what is the purpose of this current thread? Are you planning to pursue research now to enhance your chances for grad school? Or do you just want some ideas for your future grad studies? Or ...?

Likes Vanadium 50
CrysPhys said:
@mimi10 . In your other thread, you said you wanted to become a propulsion engineer and wrote:

So what is the purpose of this current thread? Are you planning to pursue research now to enhance your chances for grad school? Or do you just want some ideas for your future grad studies? Or ...?
I'd like to get knowledge before I fly for further education. Plus as you've said, I also want to enhance my chance for grad school. I'd like to put myself as a quality person in all the way but not just in one way. I am willing to work on this whenever i get time before i secure full time crash on job.

mimi10 said:
I'd like to get knowledge before I fly for further education. Plus as you've said, I also want to enhance my chance for grad school. I'd like to put myself as a quality person in all the way but not just in one way. I am willing to work on this whenever i get time before i secure full time crash on job.
By "research", do you mean performing original research, or just reading engineering literature? This is just temporary activity, something you'll stop once you get a full-time job? I assume you want to get a full-time job sooner rather than later; is that true? In which case, you plan to do all this on your own (since you can't commit to any formal program); is that true?

CrysPhys said:
By "research", do you mean performing original research, or just reading engineering literature? This is just temporary activity, something you'll stop once you get a full-time job? I assume you want to get a full-time job sooner rather than later; is that true? In which case, you plan to do all this on your own (since you can't commit to any formal program); is that true?I
This is not a temporary activity that I would stop once I get a full-time job. Ig this is going quite out of topic. But thank you for deep interaction. I am looking forward for an on - topic conversation or advisory.

That's fine. Others have given you advice that you have considered on topic: (1) find a research advisor and (2) enter a PhD program. Now let's see how you execute that plan while working "a full time crash on job". Oh, by the way, before you execute (1) and (2), you first have to apply for and be admitted into a PhD program. Over and Out.

CrysPhys said:
That's fine. Others have given you advice that you have considered on topic: (1) find a research advisor and (2) enter a PhD program. Now let's see how you execute that plan while working "a full time crash on job". Oh, by the way, before you execute (1) and (2), you first have to apply for and be admitted into a PhD program. Over and Out.
Thank you for creating a challenge out there. Makes me more determined to work on both the thing simultaneously 😇.

mimi10 said:
Thank you for creating a challenge
When we point out something will be challenging, why do people think we "created" a challenge? This section is filled with "shoot the messenger" threads.

Vanadium 50 said:
When we point out something will be challenging, why do people think we "created" a challenge? This section is filled with "shoot the messenger" threads.
I'd apologize from my side for my behavior. All I wanted to do is to have some discussion and to know things. I never wanted to get into any details about my previous thread or future thread. But yeah, its just my curiosity that stirred up to create this thread and not to have a ground about capability and possibility.

It's not just you. It's "I dropped out of undergrad after my freshman year with a 1.6 GPA, and spent the last ten years in prison. Now I want to get my PhD from Harvard. I can only spend six months, and of course, all my expenses need to be paid. What are my chances?"
"Not good."
"You guys are not being supportive!":cry::cry::cry: