Reimann Sum Limit Homework Solution | Integration Limits and Delta X Formula

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Sum
In summary: I got it.In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the delta x formula to determine the limits of integration and the width of each subinterval. It also clarifies that the x value in the i-th subinterval is represented by 4i/n and the integrand in the integral is cos(2 + 4i/n).
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1419845_10201044047645089_1286462043_n.jpg?oh=adc74f67f112c0697cbfba79b4fa81fc&oe=5283F9AB

Homework Equations

delta x = (b-a)/n

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, from the delta x formula I can figure out the limits of integration. They're 4 and 0. That leaves us with three possible answer choices. I'm suspecting that the 4i/n term goes away and the answer is B, but I really don't know and I'm not even sure where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1419845_10201044047645089_1286462043_n.jpg?oh=adc74f67f112c0697cbfba79b4fa81fc&oe=5283F9AB

Homework Equations

delta x = (b-a)/n

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, from the delta x formula I can figure out the limits of integration. They're 4 and 0. That leaves us with three possible answer choices. I'm suspecting that the 4i/n term goes away and the answer is B, but I really don't know and I'm not even sure where to begin.

You have the interval [0, 4] that you will divide into n subintervals of equal length. How would you write xi, the x value in the i-th subinterval? The x value could be at the left or right end of a given subinterval, or somewhere in the middle of it.

I'm not sure what terms to write xi in terms of. I guess, (x/n) would give me the width of each subinterval and I'm not sure what else.

No, the width of each subinterval would be 4/n. Since the summation has cos(2 + ...), that's going to show up in the integral as well.

So the integral would have cos (2+x) as the integrand?

Yes. Do you see how it works? Since i is running from 1 to n, 4i/n represents the x value at the right side of each subinterval, and cos(2 + 4i/n) is the function value associated with that x value.

Alright, I see :)! 4/n is the width of each sub interval. The i represents each sub interval.

Related to Reimann Sum Limit Homework Solution | Integration Limits and Delta X Formula

What is a Reimann Sum?

A Reimann Sum is a mathematical concept used to approximate the area under a curve. It involves dividing the area into smaller rectangles and summing their areas.

What is the purpose of calculating a Limit of a Reimann Sum?

The Limit of a Reimann Sum is used to find the exact area under a curve by taking the limit as the width of the rectangles approaches zero. This allows for a more precise calculation of the area.

How is the Limit of a Reimann Sum calculated?

The Limit of a Reimann Sum is calculated by taking the sum of the areas of the rectangles as the number of rectangles approaches infinity. This is expressed as a definite integral in calculus.

What is the difference between a Left, Right, and Middle Reimann Sum?

The Left Reimann Sum uses the left endpoint of each rectangle to calculate the area, the Right Reimann Sum uses the right endpoint, and the Middle Reimann Sum uses the midpoint. This can result in different approximations of the area under the curve.

What are the real-world applications of the Limit of a Reimann Sum?

The Limit of a Reimann Sum has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve calculating areas or volumes. It is also used in economics to analyze supply and demand curves. In general, it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of mathematical problems.