Find the limit using Riemann sum

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit value using Riemann sums and the question is about the difference between two functions and whether they have the same limit values. The suggested solution is to look at the widths of the Riemann sums and use the fact that Riemann sums can be calculated with unequal widths. A link is provided for further clarification and understanding.
devinaxxx

Homework Statement

i want to find limit value using riemann sum
[itex] \lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{i = 1}^{2n} f(a+\frac{(b-a)k}{n})\cdot\frac{(b-a)}{n}= \int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex]<br>
question : <br>
[itex]\lim_{h \to \infty} =\frac{1}{2n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+3}+...+\frac{1}{2n+(2n-1)}[/itex]<br>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

<br>
[itex]\lim_{h \to \infty}\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{n}\frac{1}{2+(2k-1)\frac{1}{n}}[/itex]
i try to isolate 1/n but i can't find way to make this become [itex]f(\frac{k}{n})[/itex] since k is stuck in [itex]2k-1[/itex], can someone give me a hint? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
devinaxxx said:

Homework Statement

i want to find limit value using riemann sum
[itex] \lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{i = 1}^{2n} f(a+\frac{(b-a)k}{n})\cdot\frac{(b-a)}{n}= \int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex]<br>
question : <br>
[itex]\lim_{h \to \infty} =\frac{1}{2n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+3}+...+\frac{1}{2n+(2n-1)}[/itex]<br>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

<br>
[itex]\lim_{h \to \infty}\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{n}\frac{1}{2+(2k-1)\frac{1}{n}}[/itex]
i try to isolate 1/n but i can't find way to make this become [itex]f(\frac{k}{n})[/itex] since k is stuck in [itex]2k-1[/itex], can someone give me a hint? thanks

How different are
$$t_1(n,k) = \frac{1}{2+\frac{2k-1}{n}} \;\; \text{and} \;\; t_2(n,k) = \frac{1}{2 + \frac{2k}{n}} ? $$
Do ##\sum \frac{1}{n} t_1(n,k)## and ##\sum \frac{1}{n} t_2(n,k)## have the same large-##n## limits?

Likes devinaxxx
Ray Vickson said:
How different are
$$t_1(n,k) = \frac{1}{2+\frac{2k-1}{n}} \;\; \text{and} \;\; t_2(n,k) = \frac{1}{2 + \frac{2k}{n}} ? $$
Do ##\sum \frac{1}{n} t_1(n,k)## and ##\sum \frac{1}{n} t_2(n,k)## have the same large-##n## limits?
thankou got it!

Related to Find the limit using Riemann sum

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and calculating the sum of their areas.

2. How is Riemann sum used to find limits?

In order to find the limit of a function using Riemann sum, we take the limit as the width of the rectangles approaches 0. This is known as the limit of the partition.

3. What is the difference between left, right, and midpoint Riemann sums?

Left, right, and midpoint Riemann sums differ in how they choose the height of the rectangles. Left Riemann sum uses the height of the left endpoint of each subinterval, right Riemann sum uses the height of the right endpoint, and midpoint Riemann sum uses the height of the midpoint of each subinterval.

4. How do we know if a Riemann sum is an accurate approximation of the actual area under a curve?

The more rectangles we use in a Riemann sum, the closer the approximation will be to the actual area under the curve. Therefore, to ensure accuracy, we can increase the number of rectangles in the sum.

5. Can Riemann sum be used for any type of function?

Yes, Riemann sum can be used for any continuous function, as long as the limit of the partition exists. It is a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of functions in calculus.