Limit proof as x approaches infinity

In summary, the limit as x approaches ##\infty## of ##\frac {f(x)}{g(x)}## exists and is finite. If we solve for ##\delta## such that ##x > \delta## implies ##|\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} - 1| < \epsilon##, then we can conclude that ##{x^2+\sqrt{x}} = O(x^2)##.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

Verify the following assertions:
a) ##x^2 + \sqrt{x} = O(x^2)##

2. Homework Equations

If the limit as x approaches ##\infty## of ##\frac {f(x)}{g(x)}## exists (and is finite), then ##f(x) = O(g(x))##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\epsilon > 0##. We solve for ##\delta## such that ##x > \delta## implies ##|\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} - 1| < \epsilon##. Consider ##|\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} - 1| < \epsilon##. Then ##\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} - 1 < \epsilon##, so ##\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} < \epsilon + 1##. Taking the inverse of both sides and then taking the square root of both sides, we get ##\frac x{\sqrt{\sqrt{x} + x^2}} > \frac 1{\sqrt{\epsilon + 1}}##..I'm trying to get to an expression "x > some expression in terms of ##\epsilon##" and then substitute that for ##\delta##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you take the inverse square root of both sides?
$$\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} < \epsilon + 1$$That is good. Now simplify it.

mfb said:
Why would you take the inverse square root of both sides?
$$\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} < \epsilon + 1$$That is good. Now simplify it.
Thanks for the response,

##\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} = 1 + \frac{\sqrt{x}}{{x^2}} = 1 + \frac 1{x^{3/2}} < \epsilon + 1## so, ##\frac 1{x^{3/2}} < \epsilon##
Raising both sides to ##-5/2##, we get ##x > \epsilon^{\frac{-5}{2}} = \delta##. Thus, we can conclude the limit as x approaches ##\infty## for ##\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} = 1##. Thus, ## {x^2 + \sqrt{x}} = O(x^2)##.

Last edited:
fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

Verify the following assertions:
a) ##x^2 + \sqrt{x} = O(x^2)##

2. Homework Equations

If the limit as x approaches ##\infty## of ##\frac {f(x)}{g(x)}## exists (and is finite), then ##f(x) = O(g(x))##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\epsilon > 0##. We solve for ##\delta## such that ##x > \delta## implies ##|\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} - 1| < \epsilon##. Consider ##|\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} - 1| < \epsilon##. Then ##\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} - 1 < \epsilon##, so ##\frac {x^2 + \sqrt{x}}{x^2} < \epsilon + 1##. Taking the inverse of both sides and then taking the square root of both sides, we get ##\frac x{\sqrt{\sqrt{x} + x^2}} > \frac 1{\sqrt{\epsilon + 1}}##..I'm trying to get to an expression "x > some expression in terms of ##\epsilon##" and then substitute that for ##\delta##.
You have
$$\frac{x^2+\sqrt{x}}{x^2} = 1 + \frac{1}{x^{3/2}} \leq 2$$
for ##x \geq 1##. Thus, ##x^2 + \sqrt{x} \leq k x^2## where ##k = 2##. If you further restrict the range of ##x > 0## you can make ##k## smaller, but that is not relevant to the definition of ##O(x^2)##, which just need some finite ##k > 0##.

BTW: your definition of ##O## is different from those I have seen; the ones I know of do not require that ##f(x)/g(x)## have a finite limit as ##x \to \infty##, they just require that there exists some finite ##k > 0## such that ##|f(x)/g(x)| \leq k## as ##x \to \infty##.

Ray Vickson said:
You have
$$\frac{x^2+\sqrt{x}}{x^2} = 1 + \frac{1}{x^{3/2}} \leq 2$$
for ##x \geq 1##. Thus, ##x^2 + \sqrt{x} \leq k x^2## where ##k = 2##. If you further restrict the range of ##x > 0## you can make ##k## smaller, but that is not relevant to the definition of ##O(x^2)##, which just need some finite ##k > 0##.

BTW: your definition of ##O## is different from those I have seen; the ones I know of do not require that ##f(x)/g(x)## have a finite limit as ##x \to \infty##, they just require that there exists some finite ##k > 0## such that ##|f(x)/g(x)| \leq k## as ##x \to \infty##.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know about the actual definition of ##O##.

I should add that the textbook says this method can *sometimes* be used to prove that ##f(x) = O(g(x))##. So I guess the book's method only works for certain situations.. and even if it fails, it doesn't rule out whether or not ##f(x) = O(g(x))##.

You showed more than just O(x2), but showing that the limit is 1 shows the existence of the limit, of course.

Likes fishturtle1

Related to Limit proof as x approaches infinity

1. What is the definition of a limit as x approaches infinity?

The limit as x approaches infinity is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) of the function gets larger and larger without bound. This is denoted as lim x→∞ f(x).

2. How do you prove a limit as x approaches infinity?

To prove a limit as x approaches infinity, one must show that for any arbitrarily small positive number ε, there exists a corresponding value of x (denoted as x0) such that for all x greater than x0, the difference between f(x) and the limit value is less than ε. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

3. Can a limit as x approaches infinity be infinite?

Yes, a limit as x approaches infinity can be infinite. This occurs when the function approaches positive or negative infinity as the input (x) gets larger and larger.

4. What are the conditions for a limit as x approaches infinity to exist?

The conditions for a limit as x approaches infinity to exist are that the function must be defined for all values of x greater than a certain value, the limit value must exist (either finite or infinite), and the limit value must be approached from both the left and right sides.

5. How can the limit as x approaches infinity be used in real-world applications?

The limit as x approaches infinity can be used in real-world applications to model growth or decay over time. For example, in the field of biology, the limit can be used to determine the carrying capacity of a population as time approaches infinity, or in economics, it can be used to model the growth of investments over time.