Cts approximation, delta function integration, stat mech

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of delta functions in the context of the cts approx theorem. The solution involves converting the requirements of a certain value of x' to lie within the region of integration to inequalities imposed on E. This is achieved by using the properties of the delta function, where the integral is equal to 0 if the value is less than 0 and equal to 1 if the value is greater than 0.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

g(E) question.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So cts approx holds because ##\frac{E}{\bar{h}\omega}>>1##

So
##\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0}\delta(E-(n+1/2)\bar{h} \omega) \approx \int\limits^{\infty}_{0} dx \delta(E-(x+1/2)\bar{h}\omega) ##

Now if I do a substitution ##x'=x\bar{h}\omega## to loose the ##\bar{h}\omega## multiplying the ##x## , ##dx'=\bar{h}\omega dx##

I get
## dx' \frac{1}{\bar{h}\omega}\int\limits^{\infty}_{0}\delta(x'-(E-\frac{1}{2}\bar{h}\omega)) ##

Now, if I denote the region that ##x'## is integrated over by ##D## I get that this is:
##= \frac{1}{\bar{h}\omega} ## if ##x'=E-1/2\bar{h}\omega \in D##
##= 0 ## if ##x'=E-1/2\bar{h}\omega \notin D##

The solution however has:

gE sol.png

##= \frac{1}{\bar{h}\omega} ## if ##E>1/2\bar{h}\omega ##
##= 0 ## if ##E<1/2\bar{h}\omega ##

Excuse me if I'm being stupid but I have no idea how we have converted the requirements of a certain value of ##x'## to lie inside the region of integration or not, which I believe is the definition of the delta function, to inequalities imposed on ##E##?

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
## dx' \frac{1}{\bar{h}\omega}\int\limits^{\infty}_{0}\delta(x'-(E-\frac{1}{2}\bar{h}\omega)) ##

Don't you mean for [itex]dx'[/itex] to be inside the integral? If so, you're basically done. For any [itex]x_0[/itex],

[itex]\int_0^{\infty} \delta(x' - x_0) dx' = 0[/itex] if [itex]x_0 < 0[/itex]
[itex]\int_0^{\infty} \delta(x' - x_0) dx' = 1[/itex] if [itex]x_0 >0[/itex]

So we have the particular case [itex]x_0 = E-\frac{1}{2}\bar{h}\omega[/itex]

Likes binbagsss

Related to Cts approximation, delta function integration, stat mech

1. What is Cts approximation?

Cts approximation, short for continuous approximation, is a mathematical method used to approximate a discrete system with a continuous one. This means that instead of considering individual discrete values, we look at the system as a whole and use continuous functions to describe it.

2. How is the delta function used in integration?

The delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is used in integration to represent an infinitely narrow and tall spike at a specific point on a graph. It is often used to simplify calculations in cases where the function being integrated has a discontinuity or a singularity at a specific point.

3. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of large collections of particles. It aims to explain the macroscopic properties of a system by analyzing the microscopic behavior of its individual components.

4. How does statistical mechanics relate to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics are closely related as they both deal with the behavior of matter and energy. Thermodynamics focuses on macroscopic properties of a system, while statistical mechanics provides a microscopic explanation for these properties by considering the behavior of individual particles.

5. What are some applications of Cts approximation, delta function integration, and statistical mechanics?

These concepts have a wide range of applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, Cts approximation can be used in quantum mechanics to simplify calculations, delta function integration is commonly used in signal processing and control theory, and statistical mechanics has applications in thermodynamics, material science, and astrophysics.