Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Borg said:
Archiving and cleaning up the pictures on a woman's phone is not fun. :oldruck:
You must be crazy.

Second only to going into a woman's handbag to locate lost keys.

Physics news on Phys.org
The phone was hanging when she tried scrolling through the photo gallery because there were thousands of pictures in the same directory. An OS tends to hang when it tries to run background processes on that many items at once.

Borg said:
The phone was hanging when she tried scrolling through the photo gallery because there were thousands of pictures in the same directory. An OS tends to hang when it tries to run background processes on that many items at once.
I don't know her obviously but using past experience, I would suggest she edits her selfies.
My niece managed to cut down to two a day, she was up to two full batteries a day at one point.

There are a lot of selfies... She discovered 'screenshots' one year and you can see the progression of more and more of them. Some of them look like screenshots of screenshots. I'm guessing that the logic was something like it took a while to find the one she was looking for so she took a screenshot of it so that it would show up as a picture from that day instead.

The worst part of an arthroscopic meniscus surgery is the fast recovery.
By the third day no pain at all, and you just know that you will screw it up due some sudden movement or momentary carelessness :nb)

• Wow
Likes BillTre and collinsmark
Rive said:
The worst part of an arthroscopic meniscus surgery is the fast recovery.
By the third day no pain at all, and you just know that you will screw it up due some sudden movement or momentary carelessness :nb)
Train yourself to use the remote with the other hand ;).

Earth Day Celebration:

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 9.05.48 AM.png

Likes pinball1970
Why does my phone give me an error message on Fortinet, an app I don't have installed and know nothing about?

IMG_2885.jpeg

… yeah, checks out. 😆

Likes collinsmark and WWGD
Flyboy said:
View attachment 343910

… yeah, checks out. 😆
I remember Canadians trying to outdo each other, but with respect to cold weather. About going out in 10 F weather with shorts and a t-shirt.

Flyboy said:
View attachment 343910

… yeah, checks out. 😆

There's definitely some truth there. The first half of my life I spent in America's heartland. I've been in both situations more than I can count. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend the second, cracking open a beer and sitting on the front steps looking around the sky for wall clouds is a thing.

Likes BillTre
I grew up in NorCal, and have only lived in tornado territory for not quite five years, but I am solidly in the first group. There was an EF-4 that tore across the south side of town a few years ago and it scared the crap out of me.

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
Another day, or at least week, another language for my YouTube ads. Today , it was Arabic. And I don't use a VPN either.

I saw this picture for an ad for jigsaw puzzles online today. I really hope those hands were AI-generated. :olduhh:

CreepyHands.JPG

Wow, I helped my friend with what turned out to be a scarily, unusually-accurate model with her exercising. For one, the rate of .698 meters to a step ( her app uses meters), is accurate daily within less than 5-6 meters, for walks of several kilometers, according to her tracker app. So, say, 5500 steps will correspond to 3843 metters, only slightly above the 3839 metters expected. I thought the total would vary more than that.

The author of a paper titled "What leads moral people to act immorally ?" , has been accused of plagiarism.
Should have been posted in the journal " Irony".

Likes BillTre
WWGD said:
Wow, I helped my friend with what turned out to be a scarily, unusually-accurate model with her exercising. For one, the rate of .698 meters to a step ( her app uses meters), is accurate daily within less than 5-6 meters, for walks of several kilometers, according to her tracker app. So, say, 5500 steps will correspond to 3843 metters, only slightly above the 3839 metters expected. I thought the total would vary more than that.

Does the app use GPS to track her route? If so, I would expect it would be pretty accurate (i.e., the 0.698 m/step would have been calculated based on the GPS measured length of the route*, and not the other way around).

* Edit: and the number of steps, which can be recorded and counted based on the device's accelerometer.

Likes WWGD
collinsmark said:
Does the app use GPS to track her route? If so, I would expect it would be pretty accurate (i.e., the 0.698 m/step would have been calculated based on the GPS measured length of the route*, and not the other way around).

* Edit: and the number of steps, which can be recorded and counted based on the device's accelerometer.
Good point. Not sure on the GPS issue. Will look it up.

Likes collinsmark
Annoying misunderstanding about the song "Under Pressure". No, I meant the one by ZZ Top, not the one by Queen.

Whatever they may say about Yes, 90125 is the only music I've been able to read in a focused way for more than 10 minutes.

Last edited:
hell.jpg

• Love
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, Ibix and 2 others
That's just the help desk that was awarded to the lowest bidder.

Likes Ibix and gmax137
Ok, if you want to test my Sql skills, either don't ask me to compute a " moving average" or define it for me when you do. I computed the average correctly on the spot, but I had no idea what a moving average was.

Just trying to calmly drive to a party yesterday. I hate driving in traffic.

It took him about six seconds to get 7 or 8 lane markers ahead. Assuming about 30 feet for each section, it works out to about a 35-40 MPH speed differential. I was going with the flow of traffic at about 60-65 MPH so he was somewhere around 100+MPH.

I knew that I had enough space to merge in front of the car that I was passing but I was carefully checking my mirrors. I only saw him when he was about two car lengths back. You can see that I slightly swerve to the right just before he passed me. I see a lot of drivers who just swerve into a lane when they're changing lanes. If I had done that, it would have been a completely different story.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, Astronuc and 1 other person
Driving above 55 in 66?

Interstate 66.

Likes WWGD
Borg said:
Interstate 66.
Isn't it the same as Route 66?

WWGD said:
Isn't it the same as Route 66?
No. I-66 is just 76 miles long (mostly in Virginia from DC to I-81). Route 66 ran from Chicago to Los Angeles.

Likes WWGD
Borg said:
Route 66 ran from Chicago to Los Angeles.
More than two thousand miles all the way.

Ibix said:
More than two thousand miles all the way.
"..., get your kicks...."

Likes phinds, WWGD and Ibix
It was somehow " removed" from the US highway system. Couldn't get much on what that meant.

Bystander said:
"..., get your kicks...."
You are dating yourself :smile:

Likes Bystander
WWGD said:
It was somehow " removed" from the US highway system. Couldn't get much on what that meant.
I believe that was because it was no longer a major thoroughfare across the country. Sections of it were closed when the Interstate Highway system went in.

Likes WWGD
phinds said:
You are dating yourself :smile:
..., and you aren't?