Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
  • #1,646
As a test, I cropped and resized this image to 1000x1000 pixels before attaching it.

1000x1000.jpg

The forum software resized it to 620x620. That's what I get when I download the image from my browser (control-click in Safari under MacOS).

So the maximum dimensions must be 800x620.

Likes DennisN, morrobay, collinsmark and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,647
Made for my daughter many years ago when she was feeling stressed (this was her cat)
1704606340783.png

• Love
Likes DennisN, jtbell, morrobay and 3 others
  • #1,648
The Sanctuary of Truth
IMG20240108112446.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, BillTre, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,649
IMG_20240108_153656.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, BillTre and collinsmark
  • #1,650
IMG20240108112613.jpg

Likes DennisN and collinsmark
  • #1,651
IMG20240108112201.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN and BillTre
  • #1,652
IMG20240108111537.jpg

• #1,653
IMG20240108105629.jpg
IMG_20240108_160725.jpg

• Love
  • #1,654
IMG20240108110409.jpg

Likes DennisN and collinsmark
  • #1,655
The same picture of spilled water, one right side up, the other upside down.

spill-water.jpg
spill-water-upside-down.jpg

The funny thing is that the "carved" effect only appears when the two images are shown side-by-side.

• Love
Likes pinball1970, DennisN, Rive and 2 others
  • #1,656
jack action said:
The same picture of spilled water, one right side up, the other upside down.

The funny thing is that the "carved" effect only appears when the two images are shown side-by-side.
You mean "mirrored vertically", not "upside down". What happens if you rotate the original image 180 degrees to make it "upside down"? Does it still show the same illusion?

• #1,657
I think it is rotated 180, not just flipped vertically.

This rotation, combined with the assumption of the same direction of illumination for both produces an altered impression of its relief.
Covering one half or the other should make that effect go away, but that didn't work for me. Maybe the established impression of the direction of illumination sticks around a while.
Switching which is on the left might be interesting.

Likes jack action and Bystander
  • #1,658
BillTre said:
I think it is rotated 180, not just flipped vertically.
I'm only seeing the vertical mirroring, not a rotation, but I could be wrong. I do agree that the illumination seems to be what is causing the illusion for the right image.

• #1,659
1705097926156.png

The rotated 180 is the same as flipped BOTH horizontally and vertically

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, BillTre and berkeman
  • #1,660
To me, both the flipped vertical and rotated 180 look the same, engraved not raised in relief.
However, if I hold my laptop rotated 90˚ counter-clockwise then the rotated 180 and the flippped horizontal look raised.
If I rotate 90˚ clockwise, the normal and flipped vertical look raised.
It I look at it in normal orientation and look at it as I rotate it the impression of the different pictures takes a while to change. It takes a visual scan or two over the group of pictures for me to see them differently.

• #1,661
berkeman said:
You mean "mirrored vertically", not "upside down". What happens if you rotate the original image 180 degrees to make it "upside down"? Does it still show the same illusion?
The right image is the left image rotated 180° only. (Look at the darker bottom-right corner becoming the top-left corner to convince yourself.)

I saved the image on my computer from Facebook thinking both shots were on that image. When I uploaded it here, I noticed there was only the right-side image so I had to rotate it myself to recreate the right-side image. So I can assure you this is the same image only rotated 180°.

BillTre said:
Covering one half or the other should make that effect go away, but that didn't work for me. Maybe the established impression of the direction of illumination sticks around a while.
When I rotated the image by itself, this is when I noticed that I couldn't see the illusion and I was kind of deceived: Maybe the original I saw was a trick shot? But when I put it side-by-side with the original on the post, it appeared immediately. And when I went back to look at the rotated image by itself on my computer, the illusion was still there!

With a brain like that, who needs drugs, right?

Likes BillTre
  • #1,662
morrobay said:
Special effects: flashlight on foto Jomtien beach about 3 years ago, unfortunately - So far...View attachment 320219
Love these photos…..amazing & artistic….

• #1,663
Well Thanks Girl
export1705190734337.jpg

Likes DennisN
  • #1,665
1705520188296.png

• Wow
Likes morrobay, DennisN and Rive
  • #1,666
When it’s -30°F with wind chill factored in, and you have to clear the driveway because the HOA-contracted snow removal folks do a terrible job…
IMG_2631.jpeg

Likes DennisN, collinsmark, Rive and 1 other person
  • #1,667
Yikes!

• #1,668
Flyboy said:
When it’s -30°F with wind chill factored in, and you have to clear the driveway because the HOA-contracted snow removal folks do a terrible j
BRRRRR ... close that door, dammit !

• Haha
Likes Rive and BillTre
  • #1,669
phinds said:
BRRRRR ... close that door, dammit !
There’s actually a glass outer door there that’s keeping the worst of it out.

It’s also why we didn’t dig out until Sunday… there was a meter tall snow drift against it that I couldn’t push the outer door through. There’s a garage door, but we were hesitant to open that too because we couldn’t tell how much weight was on it and didn’t want to risk damaging it.

• #1,670
A few days later.
1705682360528.png

• Wow
Likes morrobay, collinsmark, DennisN and 2 others
  • #1,671
Rear ended his car!

• Haha
Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #1,672
nsaspook said:
Rear ended his car!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,673
nsaspook said:
A few days later.
View attachment 338843
One of my neighbors (in Eugene) has a metal roof. Ice started melting under it and it slide off and took her gutter with it.

• #1,674
_nc_ohc=Lr3BTWz8awYAX9_8rbc&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, DennisN, collinsmark and 7 others
  • #1,675
The temperature dropped to 18F (-8C) in Greenville SC last night. This was the result the following afternoon. It doesn't often get this cold here.

frozen.jpg

The NC mountains had snow, but none down here.

• Love
Likes Rive, DennisN, collinsmark and 3 others
  • #1,676
fresh_42 said:
Having clear skies for 28 nights in a row is the really impressive part.

The caption can't be right though, in that it's not possible to take that picture at the "same time" each day, even if it is the same location and camera orientation/setup. A photo of a thin crescent can be taken at some particular time of day, but wait 2 weeks for a full moon, and it will be in roughly the opposite side of the sky (roughly 180 deg difference) at that particular time of day. And you can tell by the foreground that the image is not a >180 deg panorama.

In most latitudes, photos of waxing crescents must be taken in the evening and waning crescents in the morning, because any other time the moon is below the horizon. There is an exception to this in extreme arctic/antarctic regions where in the summertime, the sun just goes around near the horizon in a circle all day and night. So I assume this photo might have been taken from a location with an extreme latitude. But still, the roughly "opposite side of the sky" problem would remain in order for the "same time" claim to be true.

Something doesn't add up with this photo and its caption (it might just be a problem with the caption).

• Informative
Likes phinds and gmax137
  • #1,677
Another pic from our visit to Greenville on Sunday.

popcorn.jpg

Note the last item on the menu. Main Street usually sees a lot of dogs promenading with their owners on weekends. Last weekend, not as many because of the cold temperatures.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,678
collinsmark said:
It's absolutely fine to process your photos. :smile: It's not cheating, it's doing your due diligence.
And I agree with @collinsmark.

(and so does the AI bot I used to create all those images you thought were photos taken by me :-p)

Likes BillTre
  • #1,679
Rive said:
Yep, flash. Thanks.
A lucky one:
DSC_0109a.jpg

An 'usual' one:
DSC_0042a.jpg

What flash does is, that the background is lighter, overexposed. The cat is the same - black

Yes, the first one is pretty good. And personally I don't think the background is too bright there, but that's me. :smile:

Regarding the second one, judging from the picture I think that the ambient light was not bright enough.

So there I would try using more supporting lights if possible (e.g. lights in the house, spotlights, flashlights etc).

The best, I think, would be to photograph the cat outside in broad daylight, but maybe it's an indoor only cat, I don't know?

If it's an indoor only cat, you could try photographing the cat when it is close to a window (e.g. on a window sill) on a sunny day (or maybe even put the cat there).

What I would be striving for with this is to try to maximise the dynamic range of the shot.

By the way, what kind of and which camera were you using?
Regardless of this, my advice would also be to shoot in RAW and then develop/edit the photos in some photo editing software.

Likes pinball1970, Rive and Bystander
  • #1,680
DennisN said:
The best, I think, would be to photograph the cat outside in broad daylight, but maybe it's an indoor only cat, I don't know?
Both in- and outdoor, but these lazy moments are indoor exclusive...
Thanks for the ideas! Will try.

Last weekend, a hike again: this time not in the 'backyard', but a different range of hills.

Stripes
aDSC_0424.jpg

Shadows
aDSC_0427.jpg

Distances...
aDSC_0442.jpg

.... and hopeful ducks :smile:
aDSC_0364.jpg

Attachments

• aDSC_0427.jpg
    aDSC_0427.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 13