Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
  • #1,611
Wildlife Photographer of the Year People’s Choice Award: 25 unforgettable images of the natural world

"The Natural History Museum in London is inviting you to vote for your favourite image to win the Wildlife Photographer of the Year People’s Choice Award 2023."

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/ph...grapher-of-the-year-peoples-choice-award-2023

Example:

Nima-Sarikhani-Wildlife-Photographer-of-the-Year-1.jpg

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark and Arjan82
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,612
IMG_20231206_120926.jpg

• Love
Likes jtbell, Rive, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,613
Hello gorgeous #1:

6177.jpg

Hello gorgeous #2:

6207.jpg

6208.jpg

(Mallards, shot with Sony 55-210mm)

• Love
Likes pinball1970, morrobay, Rive and 5 others
  • #1,614
Arjan82 said:
I read an article today about the story behind some of the photos in those awards:

The wild true stories behind the 21 funniest animal photos of all time: ‘It only lasted half a second, but I was ready (The Guardian)

"From a smiley fish to brawling mice and a famous monkey selfie, the people who captured magical wildlife moments explain how they got the shots"

Another funny photo from the article:

3319.jpg

"Buffalo Having a Bad Day, Tom Stables, 2016"

• Haha
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, morrobay, Arjan82 and 3 others
  • #1,615
A hike, again.
Woke up early to be first on the track.
Then we just got to the starting point with the bus already full. On the first kilometer around 20-40 cars passed us on that icy tarmac... So we just gave up the original goal and picked a different one, without a pub/restaurant/public road...
Well, almost without any road :wink:
IMG_20231209_110426a.jpg

On the highest point, with fog as ceiling:
DSC_0368a.jpg

Some treetops:
IMG_20231209_111210a.jpg

...and bottoms:
IMG_20231209_114948a.jpg

The machinery could not handle that much white properly, but anyway, the whole hike was just perfect :biggrin:

• Love
Likes pinball1970, morrobay, Arjan82 and 4 others
  • #1,616
Rive said:
A hike, again.
Woke up early to be first on the track.
Lovely snow photos! I've found that snow scenes can be quite challenging...

Rive said:
The machinery could not handle that much white properly

...for exactly that reason. I've struggled quite a bit with snow scenes before. :smile:
One advice I picked up is to use a polarizing filter (CPL (circular) or a linear) (if using a system camera).

There are also two possible hacks for achieving polarization filtering when using smartphones (& tablets):
  1. One can tape a small piece of polarizing film in front of the small lens, or
  2. One can put polarizing sunglasses in front of the small lens (though it's quite fiddly :smile:)

An article about photographing snow scenes: 7 Tips for Taking Photographs in the Snow (B & H)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes collinsmark, BillTre and Rive
  • #1,617
I found another bird in my archives, a red-necked grebe (Podiceps grisegena) (shot in 2022):

DSC07888b.jpg

DSC07898b.jpg

DSC07892b.jpg

Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, morrobay and 2 others
  • #1,618
Monday after the weekend jet ski event in Jomtien. So at least it was good for something
IMG_20231218_155353.jpg
IMG_20231218_155537.jpg

Likes pinball1970, collinsmark and DennisN
  • #1,619
I asked my Thai girlfriend why only one finger nail polish. " I come here no finish already"
IMG_20231225_171054.jpg
IMG_20231222_171525.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Rive and DennisN
  • #1,620
IMG20231225175002.jpg

Likes Rive and DennisN
  • #1,621
A couple of years ago, I introduced you to Joel Poinsett, who brought a certain festive holiday plant to the US.

He appears every year in Greenville SC's Poinsettia Christmas Parade.

IMG_0380.jpeg

He looks pretty good for a 244-year-old. :cool:

Likes DennisN
  • #1,622
From a long time ago, in Orbiter Space Flight Simulator. Taking an XR-2 Ravenstar for a flight and departing LEO.

Attachments

• lighting_out____by_mavericksawyer_d9zzt5v-fullview.jpg
    lighting_out____by_mavericksawyer_d9zzt5v-fullview.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 25
  • #1,623
What's wrong with this picture...?

1703692868370.png

Likes Ibix
  • #1,624
berkeman said:
What's wrong with this picture...?

View attachment 337771
Perhaps the bottom of the pan is insulated so she doesn't burn herself? 😁

Likes symbolipoint
  • #1,625
I like how she used the green vegetables as food and a crown.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and Ibix
  • #1,626
Ibix said:
That is exactly it, after thinking a few seconds.

• #1,627
Ibix said:
What makes you think its hot? (Its a fake commercial).

• #1,628
BillTre said:
What makes you think its hot?
The gas stovetop in the background is still on...

Made you look! :smile:

• #1,629
BillTre said:
What makes you think its hot?
Nothing. It's almost certainly faked, as you say - it just amused me to interpret it as an advert for a pan that can't get hot...

• #1,630
My Thai girlfriend with her new Christmas outfit complement the funky surroundings along Naklua Bay
IMG_20231230_162729.jpg
Screenshot_2024-01-02-18-26-42-89.jpg
l

Last edited:
Likes DennisN, Rive and collinsmark
  • #1,631
IMG_20231230_175018.jpg

Likes DennisN
  • #1,632
Rive said:
The ~ same spot today:
IMG_20231231_125603a.jpg

Transformation
IMG_20231231_100637a.jpg

Thawing
IMG_20231226_142943a.jpg

(this one is a few days old photo)

Last hike of the year. Planned for around 15km, ended with 25km...
We prefer to spend this day outside, far from people. With arriving home dead tired, we just won't weak up at midnight when it's like WWIII breaks out...

Also, with us away and the cats outside for the day, they are more likely to spend this mad night inside :doh:
IMG_20231219_143151_HHTa.jpg

(we got that cat-furniture when it was still oversized. Then now, it's the cat is the one oversizedo0))

Happy new year for all!

Attachments

• IMG_20231231_100637.jpg
    IMG_20231231_100637.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 20
Likes DennisN, morrobay, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,633
En route photos
IMG_20240104_162553.jpg
IMG_20240104_162609.jpg
IMG_20240104_131146_1.jpg
IMG_20240104_131216_1.jpg
IMG_20240102_140919.jpg
IMG_20240104_130645.jpg
IMG_20240101_115534_1.jpg
IMG_20240102_120331.jpg

Likes DennisN and Rive
  • #1,634
morrobay said:
En route photosView attachment 338112
That overhead wire nightmare - I wonder if there is a dedicated service to help depressed electricians thereo0)

DennisN said:
One advice I picked up is to use a polarizing filter (CPL (circular) or a linear) (if using a system camera).
It made it to the wishlist, but no luck this year:doh:.
Though so far snow is lacking either :confused:

By the way, regarding too much white: any ideas about photos of too much black?

We have a black cat. But photos are usually either with overexposed background (due flashlight), or it's just 'something black', but no cat. Could be a shovel worth of soot or a black rug, but nothing cat-like :woot:

• #1,635
Rive said:
Not any ideas with certainty at the moment, I'm afraid.
I don't think I've run into that problem.

If you mean shooting the black cat when it's dark, I can clearly imagine it would be a challenge. In that case I think I actually would have tried shooting with the camera flash (if available), to see how that would turn out (if you haven't already tried it, maybe you meant this when you said "flashlight", I don't know :smile: ).

And then I would experiment with different exposure times to see if I could find a "sweet spot" for the exposure time.

Shooting a black cat in daylight ought to be easier, I believe, and here I would just experiment with different exposure times, I think.

Last edited:
  • #1,636
Rive said:
The ~ same spot today:
Lovely photo with the fog and the road!
I think you captured the feeling of walking down a foggy road really well on that photo! :smile:

And the cat is cute, of course! :smile:

Likes Rive
  • #1,637
Rive said:

DennisN said:
I would experiment

Some more regarding experimentation... I've experimented quite a lot with my photography, and have had a very fun time doing it.

So I'm a big fan of - and a believer in - the experimental way!

In short:

Shoot, evaluate the shots, change something, shoot again, and evaluate again etc. That's pretty much the method I've used during my photography learning journey.

And personally I don't care very much if I fail and take bunch of crappy shots in a new situation, since then I at least learn something new 😄.

On the topics of creativity and experimentation in photography, here are two excellent videos from my favorite photography channel Zenography:
(the videos are also rare because he goes into things which I find very seldom are described, namely things about the creative/artistic process)

Likes Rive
  • #1,638
DennisN said:
I actually would have tried shooting with the camera flash (if available), to see how that would turn out (if you haven't already tried it, maybe you meant this when you said "flashlight", I don't know :smile: ).
Yep, flash. Thanks.
A lucky one:
DSC_0109a.jpg

An 'usual' one:
DSC_0042a.jpg

What flash does is, that the background is lighter, overexposed. The cat is the same - black :doh:

Likes DennisN, collinsmark and morrobay
  • #1,639
Some may consider this to be "cheating", but image-editing software can often improve the appearance a lot. I used the "Levels" tool in Photoshop to produce this:

DSC_0042a corrected.jpg

Going even a bit further:

DSC_0042a corrected 2.jpg

The "Curves" tool gives you more flexibility, but takes more practice to use effectively.

• Love
Likes collinsmark, symbolipoint, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,640
Usually I prefer to keep my photos without any modifications, but that's really a significant improvement :woot:

Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #1,641
Why does your image display as smaller than mine, even though they're both 800x533 pixels? I didn't change any size settings in Photoshop, just the brightness levels.

When posting, I use the "Attach files" button to upload, then on the resulting thumbnail image I click "Insert", then "Full Image".

• #1,642
jtbell said:
Why does your image display as smaller than mine
Usually I shrink them down a bit (modify the visible size) to keep my posts orderly.
The 800x533 is interesting, that's half the intended size ... I'll need to look into this.
Thanks!

• #1,643
What a difference a view makes
IMG_20240106_190255.jpg

Likes Rive
  • #1,644
jtbell said:
Some may consider this to be "cheating", but image-editing software can often improve the appearance a lot. I used the "Levels" tool in Photoshop to produce this:

[...]

The "Curves" tool gives you more flexibility, but takes more practice to use effectively.

It's absolutely fine to process your photos. :smile: It's not cheating, it's doing your due diligence.

Even back in the days of film, the great photographers spent lots and lots of time in the darkroom. Trust me, Ansel Adams did not just drop off his film at the corner Fotomat and call it a day.

Getting the image onto the film in the camera (or these days the digital sensor) is only the first step in the process of photography. It is not the last.

These days, the endless hours of work in the darkroom choosing of the appropriate photographic print paper, contrast filters, calculation of exposure time of the enlarger, dodging/burning techniques, etc., have been replaced by the endless hours on the computer using histogram transformations, curves, level adjustments, contrast adjustments, white balance correction, etc.

It's all a necessary part of the photographic process.

• Wow
Likes DennisN, jtbell, symbolipoint and 2 others
  • #1,645
Rive said:
The 800x533 is interesting, that's half the intended size
IIRC the forum software enforces a maximum image size of 800x600 by shrinking the image automatically if one or both dimensions are too large.

I almost always shrink my images in advance. The only exceptions are when I've already cropped them severely so they include only a small part of the original image, and fall within the forum limits to begin with.

[added] I just noticed that Morrobay's most recent image is 620 pixels tall, so the vertical size limit is bigger than I thought. Maybe it's 800, too. The old photo contest threads specified a maximum of 800x600.

Last edited:
Likes Rive