Proving Kp will remain constant if total press. is doubled

• Thread starter CroSinus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of proving mathematically that Kp for the chemical reaction H2(g) + I2(s) <--> 2HI(g) will remain constant when the total pressure of the mixture is doubled. The attempt at a solution involves writing the expression for Kp and doubling the total pressure to get K'p, but it is mentioned that Kp is independent of total pressure and can only be proven experimentally, not mathematically.
CroSinus

Homework Statement

Is there a way I can prove (mathematically) that Kp for the chemical reaction: H2(g) + I2(s) <--> 2HI(g) will remain constant if I double the total pressure of the mixture?

Homework Equations

[/B]
H2(g) + I2(s) <--> 2HI(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I write the expression for Kp from the above reaction I get: Kp = p^2(HI) / p(H2). Now, if I double the total pressure of the mixture I get K'p = 2Kp. However, I know from the theory that Kp is independent of the total pressure of the mixture. But is there a way I can prove it mathematically? Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
CroSinus said:
Kp = p^2(HI) / p(H2) ... get K'p = 2Kp
It appears that you're trying to preserve the degree of completion rather than Kp as a function of pressure. Remember that Kp is in terms of partial pressures.

That Kp is a constant can be only proved experimentally, not mathematically.

Related to Proving Kp will remain constant if total press. is doubled

1. What is Kp and why is it important in chemistry?

Kp, or the equilibrium constant in terms of partial pressures, is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants in a chemical reaction at equilibrium. It is important because it helps us predict the direction and extent of a reaction.

2. How is Kp affected by changes in total pressure?

If the total pressure is changed, the equilibrium will shift to maintain the same value of Kp. This means that the ratio of products to reactants will remain constant, but the actual partial pressures of each substance may change.

3. Can Kp change if the total pressure is doubled?

No, Kp will remain constant if the total pressure is doubled. This is because the equilibrium will shift to maintain the same ratio of products to reactants, resulting in the same value for Kp.

4. Is Kp affected by changes in temperature?

Yes, Kp is affected by changes in temperature. As temperature increases, Kp may increase or decrease depending on the enthalpy of the reaction. This is because temperature affects the equilibrium constant, which is a measure of the balance between forward and reverse reactions.

5. How do you experimentally prove that Kp will remain constant if total pressure is doubled?

To prove that Kp will remain constant if total pressure is doubled, you can conduct an experiment where you vary the total pressure while keeping the temperature and initial concentrations constant. Then, you can measure the equilibrium partial pressures and calculate the Kp values. If the Kp values remain the same, you have experimentally shown that Kp is constant when the total pressure is doubled.