Calculating Kp for gas mixture from picture

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemical reaction and its equilibrium, with a focus on the pressure equilibrium constant and determining the correct answer to a problem involving partial pressures of gases in the reaction. The conclusion is that the problem is incomplete and there is no correct answer without knowing the total pressure of the mixture.
CroSinus

Homework Statement

A chemical reaction is described by the equation N2O4 <> 2NO2. The pressure equilibrium constant for the given reaction is equal to 8 Pa. Which picture describes the equilibrium? (Please, see the attached file!).
STR 112, samo slika.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

N2O4 <> 2NO2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I wrote the expression for the equilibrium constant of the given reaction. Kp = p^2(NO2) / p(N2O4). Then I tried to substitute partial pressures with the number of molecules for each type of the gass. It is not clear to me how can I use only number of molecules to replace partial pressures since I have the partial pressure squared in numerator. The pressure squared prevents for some things to be canceled in the expression for Kp if I apply Dalton's law for gas mixtures. Can somebody explain this to me, please. [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agreed, there is not enough data to answer the problem.

For the first picture, assuming the total pressure is Pt, partial pressure of NO2 is [itex]\frac 1 3 P_t[/itex] and partial pressure of N2O4 is [itex]\frac 2 3 P_t[/itex]. Then

[tex]K_p = \frac {P^2_{NO_2}}{P_{N_2O_4}} = \frac {(\frac 1 3 P_t)^2}{\frac 2 3 P_t} = \frac 1 6 P_t[/tex]

Assume Pt=48 Pa and the first image is the correct answer. Problem is, the same can be done for every other image.

Thanks for answering my question.
My textbook says the correct answer is C. But how did they get that result? Here's the original text of the question in Croatian.

STR 112, samo zadatak 21.jpg

Last edited:
CroSinus said:
But how did they get that result?

Making an error.

C is NOT the correct answer. There is no correct answer to this problem, as it is incomplete.

As I have shown you above - you can "prove" each answer to be the correct one, just assuming different values of the total pressure.

Right. I agree with you. Unless you know the total pressure of the mixture, it is impossible to solve the problem. Funny textbook. :wink:

Related to Calculating Kp for gas mixture from picture

1. What is Kp and how is it calculated?

Kp is the equilibrium constant for gases, and it is calculated by taking the partial pressures of the products and dividing it by the partial pressures of the reactants, each raised to the power of their stoichiometric coefficient.

2. What information is needed to calculate Kp from a picture of a gas mixture?

To calculate Kp from a picture of a gas mixture, you will need the total pressure of the system, the initial and final amounts of each gas, and the stoichiometric coefficients of the reaction.

3. Can Kp be calculated for any gas mixture?

Yes, Kp can be calculated for any gas mixture as long as the necessary information is provided, such as the total pressure and amounts of each gas present.

4. How is Kp affected by changes in temperature and pressure?

Kp is affected by changes in temperature and pressure according to Le Chatelier's principle. An increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the endothermic reaction, resulting in a higher Kp value. An increase in pressure will shift the equilibrium towards the side with fewer moles of gas, resulting in a lower Kp value.

5. What are the units of Kp and what do they represent?

The units of Kp depend on the units of pressure used in the calculation. It is a dimensionless quantity and represents the ratio of partial pressures of products and reactants at equilibrium.