Equilibrium and Kp: Find HI Mass at 700K

• Thread starter MeMoses
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the given reaction has a Kp=55.5 at 700K. When introducing 2.00 moles of H2(g) and 1.00 mole of I2(g) into a 5.00 L flask at 700K, the pressure is 34.4652 atm. Using the ICE table method, the mass of HI(g) present at equilibrium is found to be approximately 240g. Any discrepancies in the answer may be due to incorrect manipulation of coefficients and using incorrect conversion methods. It is important to follow each step correctly in order to obtain the correct answer.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

The following reaction has Kp = 55.5 at 700 K:
H2(g) + I2(g) <-> 2HI(g)
You introguce 2.00 moles of H2(g) and 1.00 mole of I2(g) into a previously evacuated 5.00 L flash, and then heat the flask to 700 K. What mass of HI(g) will be present at eqilibrium?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
Kp

The Attempt at a Solution

The pressure of 3 moles in 5L at 700K is 34.4652atm. So for every atm the reactant pressure decreases the product pressure increases the same. I get x^2 / (34.4652-x) = 55.6 => x=24.0466atm. I covert that to mol using pv=nrt and then multiply by the molecular wight of HI and get around 250 or 260 g *i forgot to wrrite it down). The answer however is 240g and every method I try I always get over by around 20 which doesn't seem right. Can you tell what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to cut corners which yielded two mistakes - one in the nominator, one in the denominator. The one in the nominator is a simple simple omission of coefficient, the one in the denominator is an atrocity done to physics. Do it correctly, step by step. Start with the ICE table.

Note that you don't have to use pressures - there is no volume change, so Kc=Kp. Final result you will get using Kc will be the same, but you don't have to convert to p.

Related to Equilibrium and Kp: Find HI Mass at 700K

1. What is equilibrium and how does it relate to Kp?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which the forward and reverse reactions of a chemical reaction are occurring at the same rate. Kp, or the equilibrium constant in terms of partial pressures, is a measure of the extent to which a reaction has reached equilibrium. It is calculated by taking the ratio of the products' partial pressures to the reactants' partial pressures, each raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients.

2. How is Kp affected by temperature?

Kp is affected by temperature through the use of the equilibrium constant expression, which includes the gas constant (R) and temperature (T) in the exponent. As temperature increases, the value of Kp also increases, indicating a greater extent of the forward reaction and a decrease in the reverse reaction. This is due to the fact that an increase in temperature provides more energy for the reactant molecules to overcome the activation energy barrier and form products.

3. How can we calculate the mass of HI at a specific temperature (700K) using Kp?

To calculate the mass of HI at a specific temperature (700K), we need to first set up an equilibrium expression using Kp, the equilibrium constant at that temperature. Then, we can use the given partial pressure of HI and the molar mass of HI to calculate the number of moles of HI present. Finally, we can use the calculated number of moles and the molar mass to determine the mass of HI.

4. What factors can affect the value of Kp for a chemical reaction?

The value of Kp for a chemical reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of the reactants and products. Changes in any of these factors can shift the equilibrium position and therefore affect the value of Kp. Additionally, the presence of a catalyst can also affect the value of Kp by lowering the activation energy and increasing the rate of the reaction.

5. How can we manipulate the value of Kp for a chemical reaction?

The value of Kp for a chemical reaction can be manipulated by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentrations of the reactants and products. By altering these factors, the equilibrium position can be shifted to favor the formation of products or reactants, thus changing the value of Kp. Additionally, the use of a catalyst can also manipulate the value of Kp by increasing the rate of the reaction. However, the value of Kp is ultimately determined by the nature of the chemical reaction and cannot be changed through external means.