Equilibrium constant expression

In summary, at a given temperature, the fraction of H2O molecules that are dissociated is f and the total pressure is p. At a higher temperature, the gas is in a more dissociated state and the pressure is higher.
Dassinia
Hello
I'm solving previous exams and there is this exercise that appears in almost every exam :

Homework Statement

Suppose v moles of a gas H2O are enclosed in a constant volume V at a low temperature so the gas is in aN undissociated state. At highest temperatureS, H2O molecules are dissociated
2H2O-> 2H2 + O2

If "f" is the fraction of H2O molecules that are dissociated at a known temperature T, and p the total pressure of the gas at that temperature, show that Kp(T) at this pressure is :
Kp(T)= p f^3/ (( 1-f)^2(2+f) )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Kp(T)=[ (P02)*PH2² ]/(PH20

We have Pi=xi*p
Kp(T)= [ x02*p*(xH2*p)² ]/(xH20*p)²
Kp(T)= [ p*x02*xH2² ]/xH20²

xi=ni/ntot

Kp(T)= [ p*n02*nH2² ]/(nH20²*ntot)

nH20²=(1-f)²
but I don't get why ntot=2+f and n02=nH2=f

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have v moles of H2O to start with, and fv moles H2O dissociated to H2 and O2, how many moles of H2O are left, and how many moles of O2 and H2 are formed (in terms of v and f)? What is the total number of moles of H2O remaining (in terms of v and f)? What is the total number of moles in the container after fv moles of H2O has dissociated? What is the mole fractions of H2O, H2, and O2? What are the partial pressures of these species?

Chet

For H2O we have (v-vf) remaining
If we have fv moles of H2O are dissociated we will have fv moles of H2 and fv moles of O2 ?

Dassinia said:
For H2O we have (v-vf) remaining
If we have fv moles of H2O are dissociated we will have fv moles of H2 and fv moles of O2 ?
From the stoichiometry, you will have fv/2 moles of water, correct?

Chet

My chemistry courses are so far away :rolleyes:
Why fv/2 moles of H2O and not (v-vf)moles ?

Dassinia said:
My chemistry courses are so far away :rolleyes:
Why fv/2 moles of H2O and not (v-vf)moles ?

Oops. Sorry. I meant fv/2 moles of oxygen.

Chet

Oh so it is fv/2 of O2 and fv of H2

So we have ntot=fv/2+fv-fv+v=v/2(f+2)
nO2=fv/2
nH2=fv
nH2O=v(1-f)

Thank you thank you ! now it is really clear in my head !

Last edited:
Good. Nice job.

Chet

Related to Equilibrium constant expression

1. What is the equilibrium constant expression?

The equilibrium constant expression is a mathematical representation of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is denoted by the symbol K and is a constant value at a given temperature.

2. How is the equilibrium constant expression calculated?

The equilibrium constant expression is calculated by taking the molar concentrations of the products and dividing it by the molar concentrations of the reactants, each raised to their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

3. What does the value of the equilibrium constant expression indicate?

The value of the equilibrium constant expression indicates the extent to which a chemical reaction proceeds towards completion at a given temperature. A higher value of K indicates that the reaction favors the formation of products, while a lower value indicates that the reaction favors the formation of reactants.

4. How does the equilibrium constant expression change with temperature?

The equilibrium constant expression is dependent on temperature. As the temperature increases, the value of K may also change, indicating a shift in the equilibrium towards the products or reactants. Some reactions may also have a negative value of K, indicating that the reaction is not favorable at that temperature.

5. Can the equilibrium constant expression be altered?

The equilibrium constant expression is a constant value at a given temperature, but it can be altered by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentrations of the reactants and products. Changing any of these factors can shift the equilibrium towards the products or reactants, resulting in a different value of K.