Products of gamma matrices in n dimensions

In summary, the author is looking for identities for gamma matrices in n dimensions and does not know how to do this. He is confused about the ⊗ in the equation and thinks it should be the Kronecker-product. He is asking for help from someone who can explain this to him.
Michi123
Hello,

i have here some identities for gamma matrices in n dimensions to prove and don't know how to do this. My problem is that I am not very familiar with the ⊗ in the equations. I think it should be the Kronecker-product. If someone could give me a explanation of how to work with this stuff it would be great.
here the exercise:
Let γ(n)μ1... μn be the totally antisymmetric products of n γ-matrices and γ(n)⊗γ(n) = γ(n)μ1... μn ⊗ γ(n)μ1... μn.

it should hold that:
1.)γμ γν γ(2)⊗γμ γν γ(2) = γ(4)⊗γ(4) +2(5μ -4) γ(2)⊗γ(2) +4μ(2μ-1) id⊗id
2.)γργμγσγν⊗γργνγσγμ= -γ(4)⊗γ(4) +4γ(2)⊗γ(4) + 4μ(3μ-1) id⊗id

id is the n dimensional identity matrix and μ =d/2 where d is the dimension
for the gamma matrices in n dimensions also holds the basic anticommutation relation and ημνημν = d

greetz mk

Ok, I think the antisymmetric product of the gamma-matrices is defined by:
##\gamma^{(n)} =\gamma^{[\mu_1\mu_2\ldots\mu_n]}= \frac{1}{n!}\epsilon_{\mu_1 \mu_2 \ldots \mu_n}\gamma^{\mu_1}\gamma^{\mu_2}\ldots\gamma^{\mu_n}##
It would be good to show that ##\gamma^\nu\cdot\gamma^{[\mu_1\mu_2\ldots\mu_n]} = \gamma^{[\nu\mu_1\mu_2\ldots\mu_n]} + \sum\limits_{i=1} ^n (-1)^{i+1} g^{\nu\mu_i}\gamma^{[\mu_1\mu_2\ldots\hat\mu_i\ldots\mu_n]}. ##The ## \hat\mu_i## means that this indice is deleted from the product because ##\nu## and ##\mu_i## were equal. So if ##\nu## is different than all other indices, I'm left with a n+1 matrices product. If ##\nu## matches with one indice, I'm left with a n-1 matrices product. I am not pretty sure how to do this. For the cases n=2 or n=3 one can do this simply and just form an antisymmetric product to see how this works. But I can't do this for the general case, i.e. for arbitrary n. Perhaps one can do this by induction or just by using some combinatorial stuff?! If one has this identity, the tensor-product identities in the first post should follow by using this relation.

Last edited:

What are gamma matrices?

Gamma matrices are a set of square matrices used in physics and mathematics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and relativity. They are typically denoted by the Greek letter gamma (γ) and can be of varying dimensions, depending on the specific application.

What are the products of gamma matrices in n dimensions?

The products of gamma matrices in n dimensions refer to the result of multiplying two or more gamma matrices together. This can be done in any number of dimensions, with the resulting matrix also having n dimensions.

What are some applications of products of gamma matrices in n dimensions?

Products of gamma matrices in n dimensions are used in a variety of fields, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and general relativity. They are particularly useful in calculations involving spinors and the Dirac equation.

How do you calculate the products of gamma matrices in n dimensions?

The specific method for calculating the products of gamma matrices in n dimensions depends on the specific matrices being multiplied. However, in general, the multiplication follows the same rules as for regular matrix multiplication, with the addition of some specific properties and identities unique to gamma matrices.

What are some properties of products of gamma matrices in n dimensions?

Products of gamma matrices in n dimensions have several important properties, including non-commutativity, tracelessness, and anti-commutativity. They also satisfy several specific identities, such as the Clifford algebra and the Fierz identity, which are useful in simplifying calculations involving gamma matrices.