Gamma matrices in higher (even) dimensions

In summary: Gamma^{i+}\,\,\\ \,\,\Gamma^{i-} & 0\,\, \end{pmatrix}, \qquad \gamma^{4} = \begin{pmatrix} \,\,0 & \Gamma^{1+}\,\,\\ \,\,\Gamma^{1-} & 0\,\, \end{pmatrix}, \qquad \gamma^{5} = \begin{pmatrix} \,\,0 & \Gamma^{2+}\,\,\\ \,\,\Gamma^{2-} & 0\,\, \end{pm
KennyAckerman97

Homework Statement

I define the gamma matrices in this following representation:
\begin{align*}
\gamma^{0}=\begin{pmatrix}
\,\,0 & \mathbb{1}_{2}\,\,\\
\,\,\mathbb{1}_{2} & 0\,\,
\end{pmatrix},\qquad \gamma^{i}=\begin{pmatrix}
\,\,0 &\sigma^{i}\,\,\\
\,\,-\sigma^{i} & 0\,\,
\end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}
where k=1,2,3. Consider 2k+2 dimension, I can then group the gamma matrices into k+1 anticommuting 'raising' and 'lowering' operators. If we define:
\begin{align*}
\Gamma^{0\pm} = \frac{i}{2}\left(\pm\gamma^{0}+\gamma^{1}\right),\qquad \Gamma^{a\pm}=\frac{i}{2}\left(\gamma^{2a}\pm i\gamma^{2a+1}\right)
\end{align*}
with a=1,2,...,k. Then
\begin{align*}
\left\{\Gamma^{a\pm},\Gamma^{b\pm}\right\}=0,\qquad \left\{\Gamma^{a\pm},\Gamma^{b\mp}\right\} =\delta^{ab}
\end{align*}
Then how can I construct the gamma matrices in 6 and 8 dimensions using these information?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I expect the matrices will be a 8 x 8 matrices for 6 dimension and 16 x 16 matrices for 8 dimension. But what I don't get is, in 4 dimensions we have 4 x 4 matrices, how can those operators and their anticommutation relations help me to construct new sets of gamma matrices that is basically not in the same size? What I have in mind is some tensor product, but I don't think it is related to the given information.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

In order to construct the gamma matrices in 6 and 8 dimensions, we can use the information provided about the anticommutation relations of the operators $\Gamma^{a\pm}$. Since we know that $\Gamma^{a\pm}$ are anticommuting operators, we can use them to construct new gamma matrices in higher dimensions by taking tensor products.

For example, in 6 dimensions, we can construct the gamma matrices as follows:
\begin{align*}
\gamma^{0} &= \begin{pmatrix}
\,\,0 & \mathbb{1}_{4}\,\,\\
\,\,\mathbb{1}_{4} & 0\,\,
\end{pmatrix}, \qquad \gamma^{i} = \begin{pmatrix}
\,\,0 & \Gamma^{i+}\,\,\\
\,\,\Gamma^{i-} & 0\,\,
\end{pmatrix}, \qquad \gamma^{4} = \begin{pmatrix}
\,\,0 & \Gamma^{1+}\,\,\\
\,\,\Gamma^{1-} & 0\,\,
\end{pmatrix}, \qquad \gamma^{5} = \begin{pmatrix}
\,\,0 & \Gamma^{2+}\,\,\\
\,\,\Gamma^{2-} & 0\,\,
\end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}
where $i=1,2,3$ and $\Gamma^{a\pm}$ are the operators defined in the original post. These gamma matrices satisfy the correct anticommutation relations:
\begin{align*}
\left\{\gamma^{a},\gamma^{b}\right\} = 2\eta^{ab}\mathbb{1}_{6}
\end{align*}
where $\eta^{ab}$ is the Minkowski metric in 6 dimensions.

Similarly, in 8 dimensions, we can construct the gamma matrices as follows:
\begin{align*}
\gamma^{0} &= \begin{pmatrix}
\,\,0 & \mathbb{1}_{8}\,\,\\
\,\,\mathbb{1}_{8} & 0\,\,
\end{pmatrix}, \qquad \gamma^{i

1. What are gamma matrices in higher dimensions?

Gamma matrices are a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to represent the Dirac algebra. They are square, Hermitian matrices that satisfy the Clifford algebra, and are used to describe the behavior of spin 1/2 particles.

2. How many gamma matrices are there in higher dimensions?

In even dimensions, there are 2^(n/2) gamma matrices, where n is the dimension of the space. For example, in 4-dimensional spacetime, there are 4 gamma matrices, and in 6-dimensional spacetime, there are 8 gamma matrices.

3. What is the significance of gamma matrices in higher dimensions?

Gamma matrices are essential in describing the properties and behavior of fermionic particles, such as electrons and quarks. They are also used in the formulation of supersymmetry, a theoretical framework that extends the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How are gamma matrices used in higher dimensional physics?

Gamma matrices are used in various equations and calculations in quantum field theory, such as the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermionic particles. They are also used in the construction of Lagrangian density, a mathematical tool used to describe the dynamics of a physical system.

5. Are there any applications of gamma matrices in real-world scenarios?

While gamma matrices are primarily used in theoretical physics, they have some practical applications. They are used in the development of quantum computing algorithms and in the study of materials with topological properties, such as topological insulators. Additionally, they have been used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice.